Topic: NCAA

Hi Everyone,

I know not everyone on here is a basketball fan but the NCAA's are in full swing, being from North Carolina we live in the hotbed of College basketball, I'm a huge Duke fan, most people here are Tarheel fans. I't a huge rivalry, between Duke and Carolina, some call it the biggest in sports, at least in in the USA. Anyway, just wondered who your team is for those interested, as I said I'm a Duke fan, though I don't really expect them to win it all this year, but were still in it for now!

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Re: NCAA

Frustrated NC State fan here. I was attending State when we won the National Championship in '83. Our basketball program hasn't recovered since Valvano got run out of town. Now I'm an ABC fan - Anybody But Carolina! Not a real big fan of your coach, but I must respect the Duke program. I remember the days when they weren't very competitive in the ACC.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Carolina all the way!! smile

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Topdown,

Loved Jimmy V, and you're right, it hasn't been the same without him, I even read his book he had out way back then, the name of the book  escapes me right now, but I remember it was great reading.

GuitarPix, I think Carolina has a great chance of winning it all, "unfortunately" as long as Ty Lawson can stay healthy, without him I think they're doomed

There are some teams such as Memphis, Uconn, even Villanova that has monsters on their teams I think Duke takes the reins back next year as the ACC'S dominate team however, but as long as they're in there I hoping it can happen this year..."ala" NC State in 83, right Topdown!

Cam

cameronkl7 wrote:

Topdown,

Loved Jimmy V, and you're right, it hasn't been the same without him, I even read his book he had out way back then, the name of the book  escapes me right now, but I remember it was great reading.

Cam

The book was titled "Valvano: They Gave Me a Lifetime Contract, and Then They Declared Me Dead."

Your right - a great read and Jim was a great guy. Inspirational speaker, that's for sure. I think this was even better than his ESPY speach:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQDem4-z3kg

And this, I will never forget:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l5N2eKdvL4

I always loved this quote:

"I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em..."

i know nothing about basketball apart from memories of the globe trotters in early 80's or late 70's and getting a few games during P.E in school.
I liked it a lot before.
Sometimes I wish american sports such as this were bigger in the UK.
we have a team " the scottish rocks" but I dont know anything else about them or the sport in the UK.

Also baseball, I tihnk we should have that too.

whoever you are supporting, I hope you enjoy watching yer games

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

An unforgettable speech Topdown, it was great to see them again, I actually have the ESPY speech on tape somewhere put away, thanks for the link.

Cam

Me personally, I have since birth and will 'till me death be an avid supporter of Virginia Tech( Blacksburg, Virginia, USA) athletics and acedemics.  My beloved Hokies lost in the 2nd round of the NIT tournament. I'm not quite sure what this tournament determines but I've read that the winner is declared the 66th best college basketball team in the USA. My wife however is a Purdue alumni and if one of our teams is out and the other is in we stand firmly together in rooting for the last standing team. I think Purdue is still in the running to win the college basketball super bowl so I'm rooting for Purdue. Go Boilermakers!!!!!!!!!!

Give everything but up.

I'm looking for Pittsburgh to go all the way this year. They've been here before but could never get it done. Here's to Jamie Dixon for lighting a fire under a deserving team. And by the way Cam, I've got Duke meeting Pittsburgh in the semi-finals. Go Pitt!!

Don't take life too seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway

Hi bswyers,

Well, I'd love to see those to make it far enough to play each other, but I'm worried about Duke getting past Villanova, they looked great over the weekend, I'm a huge Duke fan but I have to be honest about it, I don't think they're in the running this year for a championship, bu..it could happen!

Cam

Cam - I didn't see the game last night (too late for me), but I was surprised by the final score. Now I'm torn - I would like to see the ACC represented in the final 4, but I have a reeeeeal hard time pulling for the tarholes.

A moment of contemplation........I just can't do it - just looking at that baby blue color makes me ill - GO ZAGS

Topdown,

I can never, ever, ever, never, under any circumstances pull for the Tarheels...sorry Guitarpix, nothing personal, I'm sure you know the rivialry.

Cam

Speaking of the Rivalry... Here's a interesting essay written by a UNC alumni about why people hate Duke  http://www.coachksucks.com/  It's a long but entertaining read. Well maybe not so entertaining for Duke fans lol    All in fun!  I don't know how seriously you take this stuff.. smile Some people can be touchy when it comes to their team... big_smile Honestly, I'm not that big of a sports fan..-Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Guitarpix,

No, I'm not one of those that get upset, just love to have fun with it, picking back and forth, it's just what guys do. I'll read the article, thanks Guitarpix.

Cam

Guitarpix,

Well it's halftime of the Villanova/ Carolina game, your Tarheels are looking pretty good, they're up by 10.

Cam