Topic: Fender Strat: maple or rosewood fingerboard?

On a Fender Standard HSS strat, which is better suited for which styles, playing, etc., or are they neutral and just for preference? need to know plz.
Thx

Re: Fender Strat: maple or rosewood fingerboard?

I remembered reading a good thead on this, but had to search for it...  Give this a read http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/foru … e+rosewood  -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

IMHO, I prefer maple. I like the way it looks, I like the way it feels, I even think it is neat the way it ages. I have a maple necked strat and a maple necked tel. Supposedly all the early Fenders were maple necks, Leo Fender noticed the way that his necks looked more worn than the Gibsons when viewed on TV and started offering them with rosewood fingerboards. Of course this is just my 2 cents worth.

I have and did own both strats and tele's with maple and rosewood I think the maple looks better but I do not feel any difference in playing action,my first tele I had the body painted candy apple red and with the maple neck it looked really cool it was a vintage model that unfortunately was stolen,the strat I play now has a rosewood neck and its quick and easy to fret I think its a matter of choice but both are good ones smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

rockin gecko wrote:

On a Fender Standard HSS strat, which is better suited for which styles, playing, etc., or are they neutral and just for preference? need to know plz.
Thx

For me hands down rosewood, warmer sound , more versitle. Richer highs on the 12th fret area, my opinion for blues leads and rich clean jazz chords no comparison, The maple boards sound harsh to me, I have had both. You have to buy, try, play out with at least 10 different strats before you find a good one that suits you. No 2 are alike they all sound different. I had a Clapton with a maple neck and lace senser active pick ups, I didn't like the neck too flat and  didn't like the sound. .......................... I sold it and bought a 1983..... 62' reissue with Texas Special pickups and a rosewood neck .............. BIG difference.......... sounds a lot thicker and richer and plays a lot better.......................... just my humble .02

Rosewood and or ebony are my favorites usually withn a 9.5"radius, although I have have necks with 12" radius. and usually am playing .009's or .010's depending if on a single coil pick up or humbucker fitted guitar.

Bootlegger.
Bootlegger guitars,

This one is easy,  MAPLE!!!!  On your second Strat get rosewood.

Now available in 5G !