Topic: Run before yer can crawl ?

Hiya Fellow chordians
                                   Am in two minds at the mo!, I fancy trying another string instrument,something like  the ukulele. Ave not been playing the guitar for long (year and a half ish) and am far from acomplished at that, Do you think i am "running before i can crawl?
Should i concentrate on my guitar playing?

I also dont want to pay big £££££ if i do give it a go, are the cheaper ukuleles up to much?

Cheers micky

cool Dont Stop Kid Keep Rockin'  !! cool

Re: Run before yer can crawl ?

micky,

I got a cheap Uke ( £12-£15) my wife calls it a toy lol
it does the job. You can get more expensive ones but for learning on and practicing mine is not bad at all. I am happy with it.

As for learning both at the same time? why not?, go for it.

BUt if like me, you might get confused wit hchords if you go from one to the other within 5 minutes. a G on the Uke is the same shape as a D on the guitar, so sometimes instesad of playing a D on the uke I end up play a G.

A few good Uke sites are listed on "other instruments" section with chords and songs, but ye can get more songs in chordie.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Fuggetaboudit.  If you want to try some ukelele, try some ukelele.  If you want to be a concert guitarist, well then maybe you really ought to concentrate strongly on guitar with very regimented and precise practice.  If you are playing music to have fun, then have fun! 

I began stringed instruments as a bass player and later picked up guitar.  I've been ignoring my basses for a while, as well as my harmonicas.  So now that I'm beginning to get a bit better on the guitar, I'm torn between getting into much more formal and regimented practice with the guitar to begin to significantly improve my playing, or starting in on the fiddle hanging on the wall or the autoharp on my bookcase. 

As far as I'm concerned, if you're making music it's all good.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Uke really isn't that different from guitar. Yes, you throw different chord shapes, but you are still flexing your fingers. With practice you should be able to play both well - unless you want to be Joe Pass ( showing my age) or whatsisname Shimabura.

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understandin' ."    Elvis Costello

I'd say the more you learn the better of you are. True if your switching back and forth, you might not get good at one or the other, but it gives you a better overall understanding of music as a whole.

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

I had a go on my grandfathers uke a few days ago for the first time, I just could not stop smiling!! He's played a £25 for years and for his birthday he was given an expensive one but he says it's rubbish compared to the old one?

I'm considering getting one just for the smile factor.

Here he is in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6sfiNgCF6c

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

crevis, as I said on the comments, superb!!!
I dont know how people say they dont like this fantastic wee instrument.

Ken

Now that is great craic !

well ave put the cat amonst pigeons lol bought mesel a ululele.the wife HATES the sound of it Grrrrr (never mind i cant play it yet lol) as got to  play it when shes not in or it will go where the sun dont shine.. ouch!
only good thing shes offered me a good acoustic in its place!! choses choses?????

cool Dont Stop Kid Keep Rockin'  !! cool

lol lol

We have something in common micky lol

Best not to play it when the good woman is in, I got bruises that would put you off playing in front of a woman that hates it lol

( not really, but she really hates it and I cannot play it when she is in, without her leaving the room....or the house)

Ken

11 (edited by alansheeran 2009-03-29 00:20:09)

When you can play it this well, she won't hate it ( mind you it's not a tenor uke he's playing |!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puSkP3uy … playnext=1