Re: Earth Hour

SouthPaw41L wrote:

It's a hippie thing Zurf, google 4-20 and your question will be promptly answered.....

Ah.  I hope to keep my daughter away from that.  I don't want to hear, "Earth day is my ... Hey look at that bird, man.  It's way out, um way out, um now where do you suppose that bird is going.  Hey anyone got a snack.  That bird snacks.  Anybody remember something about a birthday?  Who was saying that?  Oh wait.  It must have been the bird." 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Old Doll wrote:

I am fanatical about turnning off switches. I do have energy savers where possible.

I recycle , reuse, or gift what i dont need. if i cook to much food , then a neighbour who has lots of children benifits.

I have a composter, use egg shells to deter slugs, dont drive a 4 wheel drive to the local shops. But I do spend a lot of time on this PC writing .

Am i just fooling myself then ? . Does anyone know what a PC uses electricity wise ?

I personally would like to see the big Food chains  contribute more ecologically. We dont need our food in layers and layers of wrapping.

Give me the farmers markets any ole day of the week.

Every  hour of every day should be the Focus. . i guess we have to start somewhere though.

Old Doll.

Hey Old Doll, my hubby and I are like you.  We reduce, reuse and recycle everything, compost, use a clothesline to dry our clothes, sit with candles on or no lights lots, use our natural gas fireplace to heat our home and anything else we can think of.  I feel good about that. 

As for the rest of you negative nellies!  Shame on you.  wink  Yes maybe 1 hour a year isn't going to make that much difference and maybe the power up after the hour was more significant than what was saved.  Hopefully people kept going after the 1 hour, I know we did.  And yes maybe in future years it will be advertised for more than just 1 hour but at least it's a start and it gets people thinking, ya know?  Every little bit helps as far as I'm concerned. 

The one thing that really disturbs me is garbage day on our street.  All of the homes are bigger than ours (another way we help, heating a smaller home) and have at least 2-4 kids per family.  All of the parents are younger than us so I always thought they would be the ones to really get in on the recycling bandwagon.  NOPE!  You should see the stuff they throw out each week.  We hate to throw out anything.  We barely have 1 bag a week to toss out.  These young parents don't recycle anything.  What are they teaching their kids?  Fortunately our city is starting a bluebox recycling program this spring. 

OK, rant over. 

Heather

That's All Non-Violence is
--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez

Hey Raven Lady, how are ya?  Here in Nova Scotia we've had a recycleing program for four years now and it works great. Everybody particapates and we even have garbage police that come around and tag your bags if not right, I think three times getting tagged and you get fined. The program works well and even employes a good size work force. Before when you could throw all garbage in a dark bag the fill stations were overflowing and not a good place, Today the sites are controlled and very tidy with a compost site that makes the best earth for gardens, lawns and such. Everybody should particapate in recyling, it works.

tea's on..   Badeye  cool

one caper after another

badeye wrote:

Hey Raven Lady, how are ya?  Here in Nova Scotia we've had a recycleing program for four years now and it works great. Everybody particapates and we even have garbage police that come around and tag your bags if not right, I think three times getting tagged and you get fined. The program works well and even employes a good size work force. Before when you could throw all garbage in a dark bag the fill stations were overflowing and not a good place, Today the sites are controlled and very tidy with a compost site that makes the best earth for gardens, lawns and such. Everybody should particapate in recyling, it works.

tea's on..   Badeye  cool

I'm fine Badeye.  How 'bout you?  Ready for spring but that's another topic.......I was home in 1999 and 2000 and Halifax already had that program in place.  I thought it was wonderful!  They talked about limiting how many bags you could throw out a week here, getting charged if you were over but it never got off the drawing board.  I thought that would have been a good thing too.  Our recycling program will be everything except food materials for composting.  I guess they're hoping people will do that themselves at home. 

Put the kettle on.  I'll be right over for my cuppa.  wink

Raven

--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez

tea's ready

one caper after another

31 (edited by RavenLady 2009-03-31 16:54:08)

OK, if I head out to the airport now, I should be there by...... tomorrow afternoon.  wink  Oh wait, you're in Cape Breton right?  Better get supper on for me, since I'll have to drive from Halifax to the Cape.  All worth it to sit around a maritime kitchen again and play some tunes with folks from home though.  big_smile:

--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez

Hey RavenLady,

Drop me an E-mail and I'll send you a piece of music called "The Energy Rap" all about Energy Efficiency that made huge waves here in the UK.

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

33 (edited by arkady 2009-03-31 17:07:11)

Earth Hour now that title does make smile
Good old Mother Earth spinning away in space as she has for billions of years and as she will for billions of years come whatever we do to her. Here we are mankind inhabiting her for a relatively short while maybe stratching her surface a little in our puny efforts to say alive....
Is she worried I think not she will survive whatever. We are the one's that won't..
Earth Hour should be renamed Mankind Hour as that is who we trying to save here..
Ark

well said ark

I have always said that too, we are not saving the planet as the planet does not need saved it is humans that need saved.
This planet has been to temperatures hotter than the hottest place on earth and multiply that by a few. It has been colder than the inside of my freezer, it has had toxic gasses floating about the air worse than the worst flatulence you have ever smelt. Once we have killed ourseives off the planet will live again.

so lets save ourselves and our future for humans ( although I dont know why since humans are scum of the earth).

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Well said indeed arkady.  Have to agree with you too Ken.  Well gee, now I'm depressed.  Thanks guy.  All I was trying to do was bring a little awareness and creativity to a boring Saturday night.  Oh well, onward and upward, right?  wink

--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez

LOL
what you were doing is good, even if it makes you feel better for doing it then it is good.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Thanks Ken.  Knew I could count on you.  wink

Cheers
Heather

--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez

SouthPaw41L wrote:

It's a hippie thing Zurf, google 4-20 and your question will be promptly answered.....

Just did SouthPaw.  Cool.  heh heh heh....never knew about that one.  wink

Heather

--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez

Been out for a few days but I'm glad to see there were people that celebrated Earth Hour. My job is to encourage (or force) people to protect the environment so it's always good to see the ideas like Earth Hour catching on because it makes it seem like my efforts, and other people efforts, are doing some good. We always do something with area students for Earth Day and show an environmental film like "an inconvenient truth" (which is pretty out dated now) at our local theater to promote environmental awareness. I just hope that we all live Earth Day or Earth Hour every day.

Thanks RavenLady for starting the thread and thanks Zurf for teaching your kids about environmental awareness. smile

"Do or do not, there is no try." Yoda

Couldn't have said it better myself crowellb!  big_smile:

--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez

SouthPaw41L wrote:

That settles it, I'm a Hippie who loves the earth and guitar.  lol

Badeye    cool

one caper after another

badeye wrote:
SouthPaw41L wrote:

That settles it, I'm a Hippie who loves the earth and guitar.  lol

Badeye    cool

Me Too Badeye! 

big_smile:

RavenLady

--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez

ah ha I knew there were more and it's all good.

cool   badeye..

one caper after another