Topic: Need Help with opening riff

I'm hoping someone can help me with just the opening riff of this song called "Welcome to Goose Creek",  I know the chords are D G C C G   I'm trying to learn the little picking part of the opening riff and sure could use some help from someone better than me. He''s the link, just click on the song "Welcome to Goose Creek"...Thanks guys for any help

http://music.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuse … id=9501328

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Re: Need Help with opening riff

Any Takers? I really need someone's help, this song means so much to me.

Cam

Bump

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Hey Cameron,

I think I have it, but I am heading out to open mic,when I get back I will try and help you out.

Later, Wayne P

Been on this one too, Cam!

The link you sent doesn't show anything about Goose Creek or Goose Creek Orchestra. I'm not signed up with Facebook, MySpace et al, perhaps that's why?

Have found the band (I think) but it appeared to be an audience recording. I got the D start, but.......

I'm sure wlbaye will help you, if not, post a link.

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

Hey, Cam   

It is kind of hard to explain but they are flatpicking while strumming the D chord. I made a D chord and hammered on the 4 string 2nd fret  then strummed through the chord twice then  hammeron the 4th string 2nd fret and play it open after that while strumming through a d chord then play open A string then hammer it at the 2nd fret then play a open D string then hammer it and play through the chord.

This all happens kinda fast but it all pretty much revolves around the D chord and the second fret with hammerons on the G D A Strings

I don't know if I'm right or not but I can make it sound kinda close,the volume is so low I can't hear it real well on my laptop.

Russ, has a very good ear if he sees this he may help also.

Later, Wayne P

Hi Wilbaye and KajiMa,

I appreciate all your help, KajiMa, I'm sorry your link dosen't work, it showing on my post that it does, if you go to Myspace.com and type in Goose Creek Symphony you'll find it. Wilbaye, I know that the chords of D G  C C G are used in the riff in that order, I just can't figure out the picking part. I know it's in that order from a guy who use to play in that band,  he gave me the chords to it from their website. After years of searching for any of the written music with no luck, there is none, I finally hooked up with Willard who use to be in the band he gave me chords to several of their songs. So just from knowing their songs I can play them easier of course, but just having trouble with the opening riff. He hasn't been on thier website lately so I can't talk to him about it. Wilbaye, KajiMa, Russel, Guitarpix, or anyone can figure it out for me I would be eternally grateful, but just wanted to thank you guys for the time you've already spent on it!

Cam

8 (edited by aabb 2009-04-05 14:08:20)

Hi Cam.

You may need to fine tune it a little.   This "^" was all I could find for the hammer-on sign. 

D        G                C                                           G

l--------2--------3--l------0--------0---l--------0------0--l---3-------------l
   l---3----3-------3---l------1-------1---l--------1------1--l---0-------------l
   l---0^2---------0---l------0^2-0--0---l--------0------0--l---0-------------l
   l---------------------l-0^2--------------l-0^2----------2--l---0-------------l
   l---------------------l--------------------l------------3-----l---2-------------l
   l------------3-------l---------------------l------------------l---3-------------l
          l    l    l    l         l     l     l    l          l    l     l    l       l    l    l    l

I lined it up the best I could.  smile     

Hope it works for ya!!

I listened to the whole album, Good stuff!!  Just what I like!!

By the way, Monday night ,my home team plays your home team.  smile  Hope the ref's don't determine who wins.

Ron

9 (edited by cameronkl7 2009-04-05 13:29:24)

Hi Aabb,

Thanks so much for your help, I'm gonna give this a try, just one question about what you have tabbed out there, in the first measure you have

!-------2--------3---        or did you mean to have this?   !-------2----------3-----------
!----3--3-------0----                                                     !-------3-----------------------
!-0^2----------0----                                                     !--0^2-2-----------------------
!---------------0-----                                                    !--------------------------------
!---------------------                                                     !-------------------2-----------
!------------3--------                                                     !--------------3---3------------

not questioning your knowledge, just wanting it right so bad, oh and yes your right about our home states playing each other for the Championship Monday night, but I'm pulling for yours to win. Here in North Carolina most people are either Duke Fans, or Carolina fans, I'm a Duke fan, it's an unwritten law here in North Carolina not to pull for the other team, so go Spartans! Thanks again for all your help Aabb. Also, from that link you can click on thier other albums, listen to the song "Guitars Picking and Fiddles playing" as well  as other songs Willard who use to bein the band helped me with them I've seen this band maybe 60 times from the early 70's to now, Willard chorded out several other sons there for me, give them a look if you like them, I wish some way I could get them here on Chordie. again thanks for all of everyones help

Cam

OK  big_smile  I got it now!!  Either that 4:00 in the morning thing was to late or early- yuk- yuk.  But after a little sleep,  I edited the original post, it should be really close now.

Ron

Thanks Aabb,

I'll work with that and see how it sounds, I can never thank you enough. I wanna to tell you that since you like that music, that another great song that you can listen to of thiers is called "Right Track", it has another little opening riff that I want to figure out as soon as I get this one down. Thanks again for all your help.

Cam

12 (edited by cameronkl7 2009-04-05 17:58:36)

Here's another link to a few of thier songs, I espcially love the song "Right track"..I hope to learn that opening riff to!

http://www.myspace.com/goosecreeksymphony

Cam  PS it dosen't have the "Welcome to Goose Creek" song on there though, and also it has a song called The same thing again that I love