Re: Blues question...

WartHog99 wrote:

Whoever said ya cant write the blues if you live in Canada, hasn`t spent a freakin winter here!!!!

LOL WartHog99 - Ya got a point there, I'm hearing a tune from you, maybe  the "Freezin' My Canook Off Blues". I'll be looking for it in the Songwriting section.

To all the others who gave me kudos - even though I blatantly stole it from another site, I'm glad ya got a laugh.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

topdown wrote:
WartHog99 wrote:

Whoever said ya cant write the blues if you live in Canada, hasn`t spent a freakin winter here!!!!

LOL WartHog99 - Ya got a point there, I'm hearing a tune from you, maybe  the "Freezin' My Canook Off Blues". I'll be looking for it in the Songwriting section.

To all the others who gave me kudos - even though I blatantly stole it from another site, I'm glad ya got a laugh.

Jeff,
You're not stealin', you're simply borrowing temporarily........ All great musicians use this technique.... Hope all is grand with you up in W.VA caves and tunnels.

-Toney

Give everything but up.

I'd be Game Knee Apple Adams.

Detman and anyone with barre chord bass string contact issues try this:

When you barre a C at the 3rd it's quicker and easier to use the 1st finger to bar all strings 3rd fret as normal, but if you use the whole top segment of your left 3rd (wedding ring) finger flattened you can cover 2nd 3rd and 4th strings with this. You also get to use your middle finger to help by reinforcing the 1st with pushing on the barre.

If you can get that you can use the same technique in the Gbarre@3 position but using the 3rd finger to cover the 5th and 6th string. The 3rd string will get covered but a, you can set up a blues rhythm with the bottom 3 strings and b, if you play the 3rd string this is a Suspended 4th (sus4) shape and might sound nice occaisionally coming through - BUT

You get to use your middle finger to help and you'll find you won't need it's help for long!!!

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

29 (edited by jaminfesteddonkey 2009-04-04 15:58:13)

topdown wrote:

No one will believe it's the Blues if you wear a suit, 'less you happen to be an old ethnic person, and you slept in it.

Do you have the right to sing the Blues?
Yes, if:

1. you're older than dirt
   2. you're blind
   3. you shot a man in Memphis
   4. you can't be satisfied

No, if:

1. you have all your teeth
   2. you were once blind but now can see
   3. the man in Memphis lived
   4. you have a 401K or trust fund

Blues is not a matter of color. It's a matter of bad luck. Tiger Woods cannot sing the blues. Sonny Liston could. Ugly white people also got a leg up on the blues.

topdown wrote:

If death occurs in a cheap motel or a shotgun shack, it's a Blues death. Stabbed in the back by a jealous lover is another Blues way to die. So are the electric chair, substance abuse and dying lonely on a broken-down cot.

You can't have a Blues death if you die during a tennis match or while getting liposuction.

Some Blues names for women:

1. Sadie
   2. Big Mama
   3. Bessie
   4. Fat River Dumpling

17. Some Blues names for men:

1. Joe
   2. Willie
   3. Little Willie
   4. Big Willie

Persons with names like Amber, Jennifer, Tiffany, Debbie, and Heather can't sing the Blues no matter how many men they shoot in Memphis.

Ha Ha!
You made me laugh so hard Cheap Wine came out my nose!
LOL!:D

topdown wrote:

Here's a post I read on another forum that may help (credit to ljguitar on the AGF). I've also read that your guitar must be purchased from a pawn shop in order to get the proper blues tone.

How To Play And Sing The Blues

* Most Blues begin with: "Woke up this morning..."
    * "I got a good woman" is a bad way to begin the Blues unless you stick something nasty in the next line like "I got a good woman with the meanest face in town."

Well, the blues isn't just about being sad and down. In fact, a lot of the blues is being down, but acnowledging that things could be worse, and singing about that. Songs like "Let the Good Times Roll" used themes that spoke of how you should make the best of the times. This is especially emphisized in the line "You only live once, and when you're dead, you're gone".
cool danspr

Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel
Jimi Hendrix
cool danspr

Well, inspired by "Red House" by James Marshall Hendrix I have written my first Blues song, complete with guitar solo.
(Called "That silver lining")

I found out that writing the blues isn't as hard as I thought, I just had to think of the crap I've been putting up with from various people...then the floodgates opened up....lol.

I haven't recorded it yet because I am trying to figure out what chords work best with the verses.
(I may just steal Jimi's because his voice is the same pitch as mine and it seems he sang well to what was being played.)

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle