Topic: Bit rate 128 or 256

Hi all
I've started to convert my finished pieces to MP3 at 256kbps instead of the usual 128. I do this now for Ourstage as this is the rate they recommend for better quality. The file size is larger but the site can accommodate this.
Mostly I listen though reasonable quality headphones to my pieces as my hifi is not up to much and I can't really tell any difference between the two rates.
I wondered just how high the quality of your sound system would have to be before you perceive any noticeable difference in the two rates and what is actually lost when you convert to a low rate.
Thanks
ark

Re: Bit rate 128 or 256

Ark some interesting info I never concidered the bit rate but if it can improve the quality im open to give it a shot and I have just the song in mind smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

3 (edited by KajiMa 2009-04-05 13:12:30)

Hey Arkady,

The quality of your system doesn't have to be that high; this scenario is controlled by your amp not deminishing the signal in any way and the important part - your speakers.

If you have a pair of (relatively) flat response monitors (passives go up from about £50) it doesn't matter too much on the low end response but the high end needs to extend flat to 20KHz as it's the treble that MP3 "ignores" for space, but this is where detail is.

MP3 is great for saving space or for listening to any track you want to while running/cycling/working out without it skipping. For serious audio it's got decades to go before it can compete with CD, which is why I always say "Deal in CD (buy/record/store) and convert to MP3!"

As far as monitoring goes, it is better to monitor from speakers than headphones and whatever speakers you have, good or bad you need to calibrate your ears to them - that is listen to different genres of music through them and then play your own with exactly the same volume and tone (EQ) settings and see how they compare.

Headphone monitoring requires setting up a special mix that "bleeds" just the right amount of each channels sound to the other ear.

REMEMBER: If you monitor quietly you will have the benefit of hearing what is too prominent or lacking in the mix AND save your hearing.

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

Hey KajiMa
Thanks for you comprensive answer  smile
So if I've got this right basically it doesn't matter to much about the Bit rate on an MP3 uploaded to a website as it all depends on how good an amp and speakers the people have that listen to your music.
The Ourstage website will accept mp3, wav, ogg or m4a which one would be the one to go for best quality.
I do convert to CD when burning as I have notice the quality difference between the two.
As to use of headphones I have used them at resonable level for many years and feel they tend to show up problems with the mixing which would be lost if I listen through normal speakers.
ark

My hearing isn't good for much beyond 192kb, but I can hear a difference from 128, particularly in the high end.  Cymbal crashes and snare pops particularly.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Hey again Arkady. No worries, mate.

In order; Yes that's pretty much it. What you need to do tho' is monitor your songs through naff computer speakers to hear how they make your songs sound. Again with calibrating your ears you need to hear what those speakers do to production music (stuff you've paid for) especially those in a similar genre.

16 bit 44.1 KHz (CD standard) all the way - if you have the facility. Don't know OGG or M4A so wav would be the standard I'd recommend out of the choices.

It's best to record it, mix it, master it, burn it AND BACK IT UP all at CD (or better) and convert to MP3 as and when you need to from the better quality audio. If you have the facility to record at CD or better then do so; when you convert to MP3 you will lose something that even the most expensive algorithms cannot put back inaudibly if you go from MP3 to CD!!!

Good whiskey is kept neat in the bottle for those who can taste it to enjoy it to its' fullest and only diluted with coke when it's in the glass! You can't take the coke back out to leave the whiskey as original!

>>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

Hey Jerome.

You've hit the nail on the head about treble and detail. If the bass and kick are going DOOMF DOOMF DOOMF loudly you hardly notice the cymbals and what's happening with the detail in general - unless you are trained/conditioned to do so!