Topic: Favourite chord.

I seem to have a thing about the G chord. Apart from the odd exception when i print a new song out, i very often end up transposing it to start with G because the tune doesn't sound right.

Re: Favourite chord.

I too very often transpose to G but this is because this key usually suits my voice. Occasionally though I find that a song does not sound right unless played with the original chords - I then sing the praises of the person who invented the capo smile.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Gotta agree with the G chord and the capo. But I do like to hear a D7 leading back to the G. or the G7 leading back to C. or an A7 leading back to a D. So I guess for me my favorite would be a 7th chord.

Wait, I also like a G chord followed by a Em, or a C chord followed by a Am. So I guess for me my favorite chord would be a minor chord.

Wait, I also like a .....aw, shucks.

Nela

Nela  i just enjoying this thread, why go and complicate things for us thickies  lol:)

and Roger with a singing voice like mine (ranging from yer dangley bits tight in a vice to a rasping dawg bark lol) i dont think i mind what key am in  (sniggers) smile

cool Dont Stop Kid Keep Rockin'  !! cool

I think we all tend to go the G chord because it is so easy to play. I agree with Roger about the capo. It is one of those tools most guitarist can't live without or well i can't. smile

Hey Hopeful, Roger, NELA and Micky.

Yeah it's how the chords are combined that makes it memorable or enjoyable to play.

One thing my capo can't do for me is help me sing "Somebody to love" by Queen. The original open chords are necessary for the runs and sounding right, but it's just a half or whole semitone too high (and it starts on my favourite singing chord G!). Tuning down doesn't sound right and my capo (Kaiser) won't fit at the 10th, let alone 11th fret because of the heel coming down the neck. Oh well, if I have a remote control tightening a vice on my dangly bits at th right moments, maybe I won't need to worry about capos and keys!

Hey Micky, I did Blaydon Races last night. The whole place was singing along. And talking of chords, where there's nothing new or unusual in this song, their combination on the chorus makes for interesting playing - great fun and good exercise!!!

And beware! It's not your vice but other peoples that can really cause you damage!

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

I'm really sorry but I done got me a mental imagage of KajiMa with a remote control tighting a vise on "my dangly bits" and I just don't think I'll be able to function for the rest of the day.

Nela

Micky started it!

>>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

Thanks for your replies everyone, i can't sing at all well but i think i feel more comfortable singing to that ?key.
I don't know anything about music but if a song starts in G does that mean the song is in the key of G as they say? :=)

You guys are totally out of touch.  Using a vice on your dangly bits hasn't been in vogue since the Inquisition.  Many people did not know that the Inquisition was started to get people to do their chants more in tune with others, but that's how it got started.  A vice, some dangly bits, and a chant that had to be done in Dm. 

Nowadays, what you need is hydraulic underwear.  This has been the way it's been done since the glory days of Motown.  If you look carefully at the backup singers of any good Motown band, especially the Four Tops and the Temptations, you'll see that they rotate one forearm around the other during certain parts.  Then they'll reverse directions.  This is how they used to control the hydraulic flow into the lead singer's hydraulic underwear.  Left over right for tighten, and right over left for loosen.  Later, stadium rockers got an underarm pump.  There's a switch in the heels of their boots (explaining why the heels are so large and clunky).  When they lean back on the heels and pump the arm holding the microphone, it engages the hydraulics and allows them to hit those high falsetto notes more easily.  In that many stadium rock songs were done entirely in falsetto voices explains a great deal about the pained expressions and quantities of sweat peculiar to that style of music.  Hey, I'd smash a guitar too, given the situation. 

A little known fact is that Michael Jackson had figured out a way to use hydraulic underwear by walking backwards.  This was the development of the moonwalk.  Unfortunately there was a minor problem with the technology, further explaining his frequent "adjustments" while he dances.  Apparantly he was a bit too fond of the technology, which further explains the glove. 

As far as music goes, I seem to prefer songs in D that have no more than four chords, of which none are barred.  The occaisonal Bm is OK.  Um, given the unusual nature of the earlier paragraphs, that Bm refers to B minor and not the other meaning for those letters used in that particular order.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

^ That's some good stuff Zurf, funny, funny stuff. big_smile big_smile big_smile

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Look out the boys are being silly and now I've got some mental images that I'm not sure I want either.  big_smile:

RavenLady

That's All Non-Violence is
--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez

smile smile smile sheeshh ave got tears in my eyes just reading these replies lol and not a glove or vice in sight !!

Getting back the chords i like G too D7..i dont mind Bm neither,

I very rarely stray past the 5/6 fret at the mo Keep it simple is my motto smile

Thanks for the laugh lads (and lass)

Cheers Micky

cool Dont Stop Kid Keep Rockin'  !! cool

Probably A7

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Something I really like the sound of chord wise is to replace a ordinary D for a Dsus2 with a added F# on low E on some songs
Try it on the The house of the rising sun sounds classy.. smile
ark

Yeah, ya gotta love a good B Minor,.. Zurf.... HE. HE. HE. 
  I like to put my capo on upside down at the second fret and leave the 6th string open. then play in a D pos. use the open E string like a drone, sounds oh so sweet!!  Songs like Rueben's train or Arkansas traveler, Blue Diamond Mine.

Ron

Hydraulic underware! And here I am just trying to get comfortable in this THONG.

Nela

Zurf - you funny! Very, very funny.

I got tears in my eyes and my cheeks hurt funny!

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

What's the meaning of the non-musical Bm? Does it have to do with leather and whips?

I used to be into ******, ********** and *********** until I discovered I was flogging a dead horse!

***Edited by forum moderator( SouthPaw41L). We can do without reference to these deleted terms here on our "all-ages" site. Thanks in advance for your future compliance.****

I like the sound of E chord.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

The E chord is great. (followed by a B7)

nela

KajiMa wrote:

What's the meaning of the non-musical Bm? Does it have to do with leather and whips?

Um, I'll send an e-mail to explain.  I think the above has gotten pretty much right to the edge of what ought to be acceptable.  Suffice to say that it does not have to do with leather or whips, and neither is it anything you would want to do to, with, on, or depending on your diet near your guitar.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I like open A its a real meaty chord and movable also the D/f# its a great transitional chord to G and my favorite (besides the B) is a open E for the fullness of sound and also good for lead solos because you can start on the lowest string and play a riff to the end of your frets and if you use a slide even farther smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I love the way G, A7 and C play together, Old Red Eyes is Back being a good example but probably G and Em are my favourites.

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

I cannot decide what my favourite chord is.

I mostly play G I tihnk but Em or Am is my favourite, the two together are great

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending