Topic: ****LOOKING FOR CHORDS****

Hi
Could you please help me find chords for sweet home alabama

Thanks

FENDER-GOOD BRAND,AND NICE GUITARS
   IBANEZ-EHH WELL THERE PRETTY GOOD
    well yeah guitars guitars guitars
     !NEVER PUT OF TOMORROW WHAT YOU CAN AVOID ALL TOGETHER!

Re: ****LOOKING FOR CHORDS****

There are only three, it all depends on which key you wish to sing or play it in, the pattern just keeps repeating,example A G D in the key of A or D C G in the key of D the first two chords of the pattern or progression have two beats each and the last chord has four and it repeats again till the cows come home smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Russell, just for my own knowledge,  you said that in the key of A the chords would be A, G and D - shouldn't that be A, D and E. Also, you typed that in the key D the chords would be D, C and G - shouldn't that be D, G and A. I'm just basing this on the 1st, 4th and 5th in a 3 chord progression.

NELA

No if you dont agree try singing to your chords its not a 1 4 5 progression its 1 b7 4 progression smile

NELA wrote:

Russell, just for my own knowledge,  you said that in the key of A the chords would be A, G and D - shouldn't that be A, D and E. Also, you typed that in the key D the chords would be D, C and G - shouldn't that be D, G and A. I'm just basing this on the 1st, 4th and 5th in a 3 chord progression.

NELA

Hey Nela,

Russ is right on,and you are thinking right also.The 1,4,5 progression is rule of thumb for alot of songs,but not all.Another popular song that uses the D C G  progression  is "Can't You See "  by Marshall Tucker another southern rock band.

Later, Wayne P

Hey Russ
  I'm only asking this cuz I don't know, and I have no training, only self taught, in any of that music theory stuff.
As an example; Let's use the D,C,G, progression with it starting in D, saying it's in the key of D calling it a 1 b7 4 progression.  I'm thinking, using the D,C,G, progression starting with the D, that it's in the key of G using the 1,4,5 chords, but in a 5,4,1, progression.
  I don't, but,If anyone has a song book with the sheet music to it we could count the sharps or flats to determine the key, note the chord progression, and then we'd be able to figure if it's a "1,b7,4 --or a ,5,4,1 progression.   

I don't think it makes a difference but I'm really curios now.

Does this make any sense or am I a complete lunatic? big_smile

Ron

Thats the reason I was askin', not because I disagreed. How does one determine a chord progression outside a basic 1...4...5 progression? Is it just by sound or some other music theory rule?

Some people, myself included, just do not have an "ear" thats developed enough to hear a flat 7 or know how / when to use it. If one is not familiar with a song and was told "it's in the key of A" wouldn't it be natural to go to a common 1..4..5 progression?

Now back to Russell's post - he said in the key of A the chords would be A..G..D and would just repeat throughout the song. This is where I got confused. If the chords had been written out as A..Gb7..D I would have known the chord formation BUT I still would not have known the reasoning for this usage. Also, should that chord (Gb7) be written as Gbdim since it is it is a 7 in the chord alphabet? Just need me some enlightenment from the Chordie Guru's.

Nela

Jerome is better at explaining this but the progressing D C G is based on intervals or steps in the scale as are all chords in a given key so lets take the key of D there are two sharps in the key of D F# and C# in the key of A there are three F# C# and G# and G# is the 7Th step or interval in the A scale A B C# D E F# G# A going from C to D to G# may sound cool for some heavy metal song but in this case we lower the G# to G NATURAL hence D C G  you did not use the whole whole half whole whole whole haft major scale construction if you had you would have know in the A scale the 7Th is a G# all major scales are constructed in this manner smile

aabb wrote:

Hey Russ
  I'm only asking this cuz I don't know, and I have no training, only self taught, in any of that music theory stuff.
As an example; Let's use the D,C,G, progression with it starting in D, saying it's in the key of D calling it a 1 b7 4 progression.  I'm thinking, using the D,C,G, progression starting with the D, that it's in the key of G using the 1,4,5 chords, but in a 5,4,1, progression.
  I don't, but,If anyone has a song book with the sheet music to it we could count the sharps or flats to determine the key, note the chord progression, and then we'd be able to figure if it's a "1,b7,4 --or a ,5,4,1 progression.   

I don't think it makes a difference but I'm really curios now.

Does this make any sense or am I a complete lunatic? big_smile

Nela forgive me I wasn't being critical that's just the way I am,a Gb7 in the A scale is a plain old G natural if it were written on sheet music it would not have a b sign but a natural sign and we dont have this on our standard keyboard,also the 7Th step is diminished but a flatted 7Th in the key of A is a G if it were not flatted it would be a G# (diminished) I hope this makes some sense it the best I can do explaining it smile

NELA wrote:

That's the reason I was asking', not because I disagreed. How does one determine a chord progression outside a basic 1...4...5 progression? Is it just by sound or some other music theory rule?

Some people, myself included, just do not have an "ear" thats developed enough to hear a flat 7 or know how / when to use it. If one is not familiar with a song and was told "it's in the key of A" wouldn't it be natural to go to a common 1..4..5 progression?

Now back to Russell's post - he said in the key of A the chords would be A..G..D and would just repeat throughout the song. This is where I got confused. If the chords had been written out as A..Gb7..D I would have known the chord formation BUT I still would not have known the reasoning for this usage. Also, should that chord (Gb7) be written as Gbdim since it is it is a 7 in the chord alphabet? Just need me some enlightenment from the Chordie Guru's.

Nela

Simple math.

Good questions X Good Answers = Learning

Russ, there was nothin' needing to be forgiven. All I was trying to do was get to the logic behind that chord progression. It's gettin' sorta / kinda clear, now, but I still gotta do me some thinkin' 'bout this. What got me curious was the way you had written out the chord progression did not match what I thought I knew.

Nela

Nela I think Jerome may have a scale primer topic in theory not sure if it covers what your looking for just remember the formula for a major scale is ww h www h steps and apply it to any scale thats where you get the sharps and flats some notes have to be raised a half step to comply with the formula and example would be G>>> G A B C D E F# G it follows the formula of wwhwwwh this is true with all keys smile

NELA wrote:

Simple math.

Good questions X Good Answers = Learning

Russ, there was nothin' needing to be forgiven. All I was trying to do was get to the logic behind that chord progression. It's gettin' sorta / kinda clear, now, but I still gotta do me some thinkin' 'bout this. What got me curious was the way you had written out the chord progression did not match what I thought I knew.

Nela

I understand the wwhwwwh steps for the chord alphabet but I got lost when you said Key of D ...play D..C..G. This made this a 1...7...4 progression. Now, keep in mind I have only been playing a little over 4 years and I am mostly self-taught. I'm asking because I want to learn.

Nela

Hello, Guitarrock,
The origional hit by Lynard Skynard was played in key of G.
So the verses go: D,C,G.
Don't forget about the whoo hoo hoo part where it goes F,C,D,C,G.
Being from Alabama, we jumped on that song from day one.
"Sweet Home Alabama" replaced "Stars Fell on Alabama" on our car license plates. It is much better to have our state referred to as a "sweet home" rather than an impact area. smile

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Tuba I forgot about the hoo hoo's and I like the preference to "sweet home" as opposed to an impact area lol

tubatooter1940 wrote:

Hello, Guitarrock,
"Sweet Home Alabama" replaced "Stars Fell on Alabama" on our car license plates. It is much better to have our state referred to as a "sweet home" rather than an impact area. smile

So this is resolved?  it is the key of G, and the verse uses the 1,4,5 chords played in a 5,4,1 progression?  In which case the music theory's that Jerome shares  "wwhwwwh"  prove themselves once again!  And Alabama is a sweet place to call home  big_smile

Ron

That's an affirmative on all issues smile

aabb wrote:

So this is resolved?  it is the key of G, and the verse uses the 1,4,5 chords played in a 5,4,1 progression?  In which case the music theory's that Jerome shares  "wwhwwwh"  prove themselves once again!  And Alabama is a sweet place to call home  big_smile

D C G over and over. It sounds better if you use the power chords and pick the lead part...

All You Need is Love smile

tubatooter1940 wrote:

Hello, Guitarrock,

sorry there mate no afence

last_rebel wrote:

D C G over and over. It sounds better if you use the power chords and pick the lead part...

ok i will try