1 (edited by crizzut 2009-04-11 19:08:55)

Topic: Looking for the slide guitar tab from tom petty's Saving Grace

I'm looking for the tab for the slide guitar. I believe the guitarist is Mike Campbell and he throws in a few different licks after each verse. I can't seem to find it anywhere can anyone help me out?

(edit) some people are posting up vids of the main riff. Thanks for your help but thats not what Im looking for. Im looking specifically for the slide riffs after each verse. Thanks if you can help

Re: Looking for the slide guitar tab from tom petty's Saving Grace

anyone know?

Sorry Crizzut, no.  I have the song written out and can play the rhythm part but not the slide/lead.  I guess just figure out what pentatonic scale it's in and riff away till you find the correct scale???  Good luck.  It's a cool song to play for sure.  smile  Cheers!

That's All Non-Violence is
--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez

considering I just starting learning no too long ago and don't know any scales I don't think I'll be able to figure it out

anyone have these riffs tabbed? I really want to learn them but I can't tab them myself

Sorry not the lead parts, no. I took in the song and the basic chord structure I figured out myself to my guitar teacher and he wrote the whole thing out correctly.  So now I play some power chords, major chords and notes for the song.  Like I said, even without the lead slide it's a fun song to play.  Good luck!  Did you try a search in google for the lead?

--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez

yeah i looked, still can't find it

Add this to your viewing collection and disect it frame by frame. It's quite basic structurally, but Mike Campbells' technique and skill comes from 30+years of professional giggin'. Be patient and stick with it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUzs1XLt754

and here's a lesson from JamPlay;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLV0zZb7Bm0&NR=1

Give everything but up.

The thing with Tom Petty and Mike Campbell is that they like to layer guitars when they record.  Jeff Lynne got them hooked on that.  Using the studio as an instrument instead of all gigging together in the studio and recording the band as a whole.  So it's hard to get that "Big" sound when they record or even play live.  They have 3 guitars when they play live now.  Tom, Mike and Scott, plus Ron on Bass.  I have to agree with Southpaw41L, Mike Campbell is an amazing player.  Spot on, meticulous.  Melodic but very unassuming.  Plays notes that I didn't even know were there.  wink  He's an unsung hero as far as guitar players go.  One of my favs for sure.  Great vid of them rehearshing.  Thanks for sharing Southpaw. My hubby and I jammed that song tonight.  Hubby plays bass.  So cool and fun to play.  Good luck Crizzut.  Keep at it, let us know how the search and playing goes. Cheers Heather

--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez

SouthPaw41L wrote:

Add this to your viewing collection and disect it frame by frame. It's quite basic structurally, but Mike Campbells' technique and skill comes from 30+years of professional giggin'. Be patient and stick with it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUzs1XLt754

and here's a lesson from JamPlay;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLV0zZb7Bm0&NR=1

thanks but it doesn't show any of the slide guitar. That's what Im looking for

so a month later and nothing? Damn looks like Im screwed haha