Topic: guitar buying??

I'm ready for a new guitar also but woult like to buy Canadian!! Any suggestions??

Re: guitar buying??

dude - Godin guitars is your answer - everything I have heard is they make an excellent product for a great price. godin, seagull, art & lutherie, simon & patrick, norman, lapatrie are all their lines and as far as I know are all made in Canada.

Check em out:

http://www.godinguitars.com/

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

I agree with Top on this one! The godin line are great! You may want to also check out Garrison. Anouther outstanding value from Canada!

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

topdown mentioned Simon & Patrick. That's the one I decided on after trying out quite a few different ones. Plays beautifully and was tremendous value for money.

I don't know what you're intending to spend, but the market in the mid range prices is so competitive I reckon your only problem will be choosing one and not two!  smile

Craig.

Blind acceptance is a sign, of stupid fools who stand in line.  John Lydon.

'Mod' is a shorter word for 'young, beautiful and stupid' - we've all been there." - Pete Townshend.

Play as many as possible. Don't let a brand name influence your decision. There are some great guitars out there from some less famous brands.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

If you look up the top guitars for a beginner you will find that Seagull is ranked very high and it is a Canadian Made Guitar.

Why do you want to buy Canadian?
Why do you want to buy new?

As a veteran guitar shopper.  I make it a point not to buy new.  Unless of course money is no object to you.  For me, however, it is.  (my wife would have a cow if I actually spent the kind of money on guitars that I want to)
Let's say you have a price range of $500 bucks.  You can get a decent new guitar for that, or with some shopping and patience you can get a guitar that cost 1000 bucks new that is 5 or 6 years old, but in great shape.

I now have an immaculate Guild accoustic I picked it up for about $500, but that's less than half of what it was new. If I ever want to get rid of it, I should be able to get all or most of my money out of it. (actually my buddy has already said he'd give me more than $500 for it if I ever want to sell it).

My best advice is to play a ton of guitars.  Usually the guitar picks you.  It has been my experience when getting a guitar, I find one that I can't live without. It just begs to be played.
Good Luck, and happy shopping (also check user reviews online)

MM-Come down to the States to buy a guitar...the loony is worth more than a buck now and you'd get more guitar for the money! smile Just kidding man, buy Canadian. Good luck with you're search!

"Do or do not, there is no try." Yoda

Is GODIN the biggest, most famous brand in Canada, what about seagull?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

I recently upgraded and played a huge number of guitars priced from 500- 3500  guess what I bought  a Yamaha LL6T $600-700 range   This guitar blew the higher priced offerings and " top  Brands " out of the water .   You can buy Canadian if you want but give this guitar a play before you make the final decision.

I think you will find that seagull guitars are made by Godin. If you google seagull guitar it will give you the history of the company.

I belive Larrivee is also Canadian made...

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

I am a beginner and bought a Seagull S-6 Cedar Top for around $300.00 new. Guys that have been playing for years can't believe sound and quality for that price. Just thought I would let you know. I am pleased with it so far.

Learning to play the guitar is easy. Converting that knowlege to sound like music is hard!

I own a Martin d28, and a seagull and to be honest the difference in price is not reflected in the difference in playing in both sound and ease of playing. I have recommended the seagull to many people and at this point they are all happy.  Play one and see how it feels to you.

I will tell you the one concern I had with my seagull was the neck was quite narrow, so it might be tough for a guitarist with big fingers.

I have to go along with what a lot of folks are saying above.  I have been a Guild player for years.  The crown jewel of the collection came several years ago when I bought a dazzling JF-30 sunburst Jumbo 12-string from Gruhn's in Nashville and was tickled spitless.  That is ... right up until, on a whim, I bought a Seagull S12+ 12-string Cedar Top made by Godin.  It's not the prettiest axe on the rack, but, children, let me testify - it'll blow the socks off that Guild, truer action, way more bottom, more volume, cleaner clearer sound.  I can't say enough about this ugly little darling.  From what I hear and read, this isn't an accident.  All the models made by the Godin compny seem to be not only unequaled for quality but are refreshingly easy on the pocketbook.  So much so that I'm selling the Guild!

Guitarpix wrote:

I belive Larrivee is also Canadian made...

Yup, sure is Guitarpix.  Great guitars.  Ed Robertson from Barenaked Ladies plays one.  I tried them out last summer when I was in the market for a new acoustic/electric.  Ended up with a Taylor.  Economics was a big factor.  The Laravee's (sp?) were more money for what I got with the Taylor.  Sounded great though.  Well made. 

RavenLady

That's All Non-Violence is
--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez

I dont know about the others but seagull makes one heck of a guitar

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

Dude,  I just bought a Godin 5th ave Kingpin.  I love this guitar.  It's beautiful. It's got clean lines. Fretwork is perfect. Finish is amazing. Set up right out of the box was dead on.  Classy looks. The only thing I had to do to it was adjust the pole pieces in the P90 pickup (it was way too bassy). I'm thrilled to have been able to get one.  It doesn't play itself but it sure likes to be played.  This is the only Canadian guitar that I have ever played but it totally kicks ass. Did I mention that this is a beautiful guitar?

Now available in 5G !

Try before you buy.
And dont limit yourself to name-brand stores.
The guitar you love may come from somewhere you don't.

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle