1 (edited by gitaardocphil 2009-04-19 09:00:08)

Topic: IN ADDITION WITH SPORTS..

Why are they so violent?
It is if people go back to ancient Rome, and shouting BREAD and GAMES.
If you see ICE HOCKEY which is indeed probably the most popular sport in Canada & I think in the North (more at the border between US and Canada), is that violence you see on TV reality? I think that dentists and orthopedic surgeons are growing like "mushrooms" there.
ABOUT CARS.
- NASCAR is huge, but what with FORMULA 1?
I know that some guys once big in F1, drive or drove NASCAR later, more money, and probably more spectacular.

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN F1 and NASCAR?
In my humble opinion is the most important difference is VIOLENCE. See RUGBY versus AMERICAN FOOTBALL, see ICE HOCKEY, I heard somewhere that the little thing called "puck"can reach speeds higher than 100 miles = 160km/hour. THIS IS REALLY fast. And we all shouting sport is good for your health, but I don't want to have a puck in my ... with that speed.
And as described in the "close related" topic WHAT IS THAT MUSICAL INTERMEZZO? Really great stars singing before, and in between the game? 
One one of my many trips to the USA, I had to make a long detour, seeing trailers and a lot of people. Asking a police officer what was going on, he told me a RODEO expecting at least 50.000 people for the so called "most dangerous eight seconds in sports"

ISN'T STOCK CAR DRIVING POPULAR TOO? I was told that the really good drivers of these cars earn a lot of money, and that's a sport we don't really know here.

Most important is that most of these games (sport) are originally from the UK and once in the USA they evolved to the sports you have there.
- Cricket --> Baseball
- Rugby ---> American Football

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: IN ADDITION WITH SPORTS..

Hi Doc
To try and answer a few of your questions,
You'll never see the violence fully taken out of the game of hockey. The sport is too fast moving and intense to play. The NHL is definitely moving in the direction of less violence with stronger penalties , but more importantly kids are being taught at a young age. I believe a lot of the violence now a days comes from all the protection they wear. For example they didn't wear helmets years ago and there were very few stick infractions. You will find it a lot easier to high stick someone or run him into the boards if you know he's wearing full body Armour.
The average "slapshot" is around 100 MPH.

Nascar is stockcar racing. Nascar is a governing body

Formula 1 in my opinion is better to watch then NASCAR but doesn't get the TV because US Tele can't get the commercial revenue from a global event. ( more money to be made on local sports).

These sports may been derived from English games but at least they were derived lol

Did you know the very first baseball game played in North America was in Beachville Ontario
Canada. Just 20 miles from where I live.

Also Basketball was invented in Canada

Kenny

Go Knights...Come on Habs

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

nascar is stockcar racing?
really? I never knew that.

maybe in the UK stockcar racing is different? I have been to a few races and in stockcar as we know it we smash the cars up to bits.
I have been to a nascar race in Atlanta in 1990 and I loved it but I never saw them deliberatly smashig each other up.
I am thinking both are the same in a way but in nascar they go hellofalot faster than they do in UK.

Also Lieven, Hockey I think if I can remember rightly came from Shinty, or maybe shinty came from hockey then adapted in Canada to be played on the ice, which to me is a far better game than just grass hockey or filed hockey i tihnk it is called. But shinty to me is better than both and a lot dangerous ( why i have never played it)

ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Hi Ken,
Yup Nascar is stockcar racing. Named because in the early days they would take "stock cars" right off the assembly line and with little modifications race around in an oval. Stockcar (Nascar) has never been about smashing up on purpose.
We do however have a sport over here and it is appropriately called "Smash-up derby" at least here in Canada. Put 10 or so cars in a confined area and drive/crash/smash till there is only one car left running.I would love to try it just once as it looks like it would be a hoot.

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Kap,
It's always been my understanding that Basketball was invented in Springfield Massachusetts at a local YMCA, although the inventor James Nasmith was orignally from Almonte Ontario Canada

http://www.hoophall.com/halloffamers/bh … smith.html

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Right you Cam. smile
I've knew there was a Canadian connection there. For some reason I thought it was also conceived in Canada. Thanks for correcting me on that.

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

It's ok Kap,

Frankly, until I looked it up, I didn't know the founder of Basketball was from Canada, so I learned something today to.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

8 (edited by crowellb 2009-04-20 04:00:59)

Sorry to correct you again Kap, but the first documented game in North America was in Beachville...and it wasn't really baseball as we know it today (5 bases, 18 ft baselines, etc). There were actual references to baseball or "town ball" much earlier in the US. i.e. Pittsfield, MA banned it from being played close to their town hall 50 years before the Beachville game (they must have figured out that baseball and windows close by don't mix!). The first true baseball game (or pretty close to what we play today) was in New Jersey.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball#O … f_baseball

I know it's a technicallity but baseball is our national pastime! smile

"Do or do not, there is no try." Yoda

Great thread, G-Doc.

You may be interested in the fastest field game in the world - Hurling ( see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM-kB1e96CA ). It was first mentioned in the Tain ( an epic Irish poem that dates back before the time of Christ ). It's the sticks in the air that make it dangerous.

Ken,

I used to play shinty and hockey at school.

"Don't play what's there, play what's not there." Miles Davis

lol  Thanks for that crowellb.  At least I was in the zone lol lol lol I should do a little more researching before I try to pull something from my memory bank. lol

Thanks Again
Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

upyerkilt wrote:

nascar is stockcar racing?
really? I never knew that.

National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing = NASCAR.

It's roots were based in stockcar racing, but you'd be hard pressed to call a modern NASCAR machine "stock."   It's origins go back to prohibition, when guys would build the fastest car they could to out run the local authorities when they were moving liquor.  After the end of prohibition, they were still liking their cars, and just started to race them for fun.

I still don't see the appeal of NASCAR, though.   The cars aren't interesting, and the racing is boring.   F-1 Racing is boring, too, but at least they turn right, and the cars are phenomenal pieces of engineering.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I didnt find the actual race that interesting, it was the camping in the middle overnight and having a great party with some fires, loads of beer and a scaffold structure on the back of my dad's truck and the company that made the whole weekend excellent.
So the racing can be good for a day/weekend of partying.
As for the F1, I just like watching the first couple of laps and the end ( the beginning is when most spectacular crashes are and the end just to see who won)

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

N.A.S.C.A.R = Non Athletic Sport Centered Around Rednecks

Hugely popular here in the USA but personally, I'd rather watch trees grow, it's more exciting.(haha)

Give everything but up.