Topic: STRUMMIMG ACOUSTIC !!

hello anybody out there help me ?? i been playing around with acoustic guitar now for around 2 yrs..... and i have mastered a basic 10 to 12 chords..can play them very well however here is the problem ??? no matter what song i play i cant nail down the strumming of the song....this down up down up and so on..etc etc....when i should strum down i strum up and when i should
strum up i strum down etc etc....i keep missing the timing of song....i am so cheese off and stuck in a rut....with my guitar playing..i learned the basic chords very quickly and nail them
its the strumming thats the problem..is there any folk out there has had or have the same problem..and how can i solve it ????... i feel like packing in the guitar altogether but then its the love of music that makes me keep going !!!!...please help i be grateful thank you regards THE IRISH ROVER !!!!!

smile

Re: STRUMMIMG ACOUSTIC !!

hi johno,go down 17 topics on this page,to help with strumming by wlbaye.have a look at his for what its worth on utube,watch it over and over again.then have a go at the strum pattern used ddu udu.I am the same as you started around 2 years ago learned the major chords,then tried to apply them to songs,i actually put the guitar away,totally fed up,then a couple of weeks ago i noticed the post by wlbaye,watched his video and practised every nite,now the song is coming together,i am also using a couple more of wlbaye,s utube vids featuring other songs,and they are starting to sound right to.I know how you feel,but dont give up try these vids of wlbaye,if they worked for an old plank like me,i am sure you will have success.good luck

RALLYMAN wink

Johno try this link, I have similar probs like yours and this link has a lot of song with the strum patterns included, hope it helps...

http://www.heartwoodguitar.com/chords.htm

Even a blind squirrel gets a nut now or then...

For most beginner songs, a simple strumming pattern would use a down strum for every beat. (ofcourse this isnt always the case, it also depends on genre of music)

So, on the beat you can assume a down strum would usually fit. So in 4/4 timing you're counting 1..2..3..4.. its on those numbers you want to strum down (if there is a strum at all). Inbetween the beat, it is open for experimentation.

What I would say is; persist. The more you read up about it and practise the better you will get. The satisfaction of perfecting something you have worked hard to acheive (be it playing a song, or a change between two difficult chords) is a great feeling.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!

Daomor

P.S. another helpful tip: the slower you play it, the easier it is, so go slow at first and then gradually speed up.

[url=http://www.newbieguitarlessons.com]www.newbieguitarlessons.com[/url]

When I started learning rock and pop (so many years ago now, sigh), I would learn the chord changes to the vocal melody and rhythm; when I'd got those things sussed I'd start working on strumming patterns.

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

6 (edited by NELA 2009-04-19 04:22:53)

johnoconner59, try this. Find something that's in a 12 bar blues to listen to. This is a simple down...up...down...up...down...up...down...up.... The count (beat) will be       1       &      2        &      3       &      4       & , then repeat.
This can be played in any key and uses only a 3 chord progression. I will us the key of "E" as an example.

E chord
down...up...down...up...down...up...down...up - this repeats 4 times.

A chord
down...up...down...up...down...up...down---up - this repeats 2 times.

E chord
down...up...down...up...down...up...down...up - this repeats 2 times.

B chord (I prefer to use a 7th chord here so play B7)
down...up...down...up...down...up...down...up - play one time.

A chord
down..up...down...up...down...up...down...up - play one time.

E chord

B chord (see comments above)

Then repeat everything, again.

You can play this to Memphis, Mountain of Love, Hotrod Lincoln and many more blues songs.

I promise you that if you will learn this you can go anywhere musicans are playing and call out "12 bar blues in E" (or any key) and they can play it.

Again, this is a very simple strum pattern that is easy to play and if you will listen you can even feel the pattern developing. If you will learn this, I believe other strum patterns will come much easier.

Nela

And for those of you not comfortable with the B chord just yet, try playing the 12 bar in A major.

|  A  |  A  |  A  |  A  |
|  D  |  D  |  A  |  A  |
|  E  |  D  |  A  |  A  |

With the same strumming as NELA's post

"Again, this is a very simple strum pattern that is easy to play and if you will listen you can even feel the pattern developing. If you will learn this, I believe other strum patterns will come much easier."

--Nicely said.

Daomor

[url=http://www.newbieguitarlessons.com]www.newbieguitarlessons.com[/url]