1 (edited by Guitarpix 2009-04-23 23:48:13)

Topic: Silk & Steel Strings??

I've been playing Bossa Nova style all day.. I think I'm hooked on this style of playing:) I've never had this much fun learning a new style of music! This guy does some good instructionals if anyone else is interested in the style of play http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCrcpulS … re=related It's not really as hard as it first appears wink
  I have decided to order some silk & steels for my older S&P, since their tone will better suit the music. I don't have a music store within 60 miles to compare brands... So, what is the best brand? Which ones last the longest? I hear they die pretty quickly, good for about a week or so... I also noticed that silk and steel strings are also gauged differently than steel strings. For example the GHS mediums are only 11-48s. So I'll probably be going at least medium and may have to go heavy to avoid any buzzing at the nut since I cut it at .56-.14 for the PB mediums I've been using. Do the heavier gauges keep their tone longer?? What do ya'll recommend? -Pix

Edited to add video link...

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Re: Silk & Steel Strings??

Pix I have been useing silk n steel for quite a few years and l love them I only wish they would keep there nice sound longer but I will keep buying them regardless there great smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Russell_Harding wrote:

Pix I have been useing silk n steel for quite a few years and l love them I only wish they would keep there nice sound longer but I will keep buying them regardless there great smile

Any particular brand that you'd recommend Russ?

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

I use Martin exclusively,they seem to work well for me but I have to change them every three weeks or less to maintain the quality of sound I prefer but I have tried a few brands and other then s&s I use elixir which I have on at present but I'm putting a new set of s&s on tomorrow afternoon because I love recording with them and I have some new material im recording smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"