1 (edited by SouthPaw41L 2009-04-19 17:21:33)

Topic: Recess, kids from Cleveland

It's nice to see kids playing actual instruments and not that guitar hero nonsense. The kids are very good, a standing ovation from this musician!!

http://video.yahoo.com/network/10006348 … =100063517

Give everything but up.

Re: Recess, kids from Cleveland

It is great to see such talented youngsters. Thanks for the link Toney,

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

3 (edited by craig23 2009-04-25 20:58:57)

Now don't go callin guitar hero nonsense. If you look at it as a tool. Or if you look at it as something to inspire a kid to pick up an instrument. Its great in my book. Guitar Center had a huge thanksgiving day sale and I can't tell you how many parents were there buying thier kids thier first guitar. I'll bet most of those kids want a guitar because they have reached the expert level on guitar hero. Most of these kids would have no idea who Eddie Van Halen is if it wern't for this game, but I'll bet they know who snoop dog and 50 cent is. Kids can learn rythem from it. They can learn that there are repeating patterns in music and get an idea of spacing between notes. Then they come over to your house like my friends kid did for my sons birthday and say "Craiger can you play "eighteen?" I thought to myself "eighteen by alice cooper!?" Where did you hear that song? "Oh its on guitar hero. This kid knows this great song because of guitar hero. I spent the rest of the night showing him a barre chord and how to play it. He "basically" had it by the end of the night. And now he has a Guitar! We just have to be the bridge from the game to the real thing. Oh yeah, the recess kids are great too.

craig23 wrote:

Now don't go callin guitar hero nonsense. If you look at it as a tool. Or if you look at it as something to inspire a kid to pick up an instrument. Its great in my book. Guitar Center had a huge thanksgiving day sale and I can't tell you how many parents were there buying thier kids thier first guitar. I'll bet most of those kids want a guitar because they have reached the expert level on guitar hero. Most of these kids would have no idea who Eddie Van Halen is if it wern't for this game, but I'll bet they know who snoop dog and 50 cent is. Kids can learn rythem from it. They can learn that there are repeating patterns in music and get an idea of spacing between notes. Then they come over to your house like my friends kid did for my sons birthday and say "Craiger can you play "eighteen?" I thought to myself "eighteen by alice cooper!?" Where did you hear that song? "Oh its on guitar hero. This kid knows this great song because of guitar hero. I spent the rest of the night showing him a barre chord and how to play it. He "basically" had it by the end of the night. And now he has a Guitar! We just have to be the bridge from the game to the real thing. Oh yeah, the recess kids are great too.

Nah, in my humble opinion,  guitar hero is still lame and nonsense, total nonsense.  I teach guitar and play guitar for a living so your barking up the wrong tree here. Guitar hero will forever be in my world, a complete and total  waste of time. My kids and the kids of players I teach know there are no shortcuts in playing guitar. If one wishes to learn how to play guitar, they practice on a real guitar, with 4,6, or 12  strings and 16-24 frets per string, not a plastic toy with 5,6, or 7 colored big buttons to mash. And if you wanna teach a kid the principles of rhythm, enroll them in a drumming/percussion class at your local music store. You wanna inspire a kid to play guitar, buy a front row ticket to a concert and show 'em what the real thing is all about. 2 tickets to a concert has to less money than the player stationary boxes and the game discs, right?  I can pretty much guarantee you the "Recess" kids spent exactly zero minutes on computer games pretending to be musicians. These kids are a prime example what the youth of today can accomplish without the corruption of TV and computer games......... And guitar center should be avoided at all costs, in my insignificant and humble opinion.

But hey, if computer games work for you, and get you where you need to be, more power to you. What works for some is horrible for others, and vice versa.....

Give everything but up.

Add me into the "Guitar Hero is stifling would be musicians" group as well. The negatives outweigh the positives by far. For everyone kid that gets inspired to take up "real" guitar because of it 1,000 never pick it up at all. After playing GH real guitar seems like way too much effort

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

I see some good in Guitar Hero, but not much because you are really not playing an instrument

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

That is a good point, that playing a real guitar after GH would seem like too much work. Hadn't thought of it that way. But come on Southpaw if your teaching kids guitar you have to have a couple students that are picking up guitar because of the game. And yes I aviod Guitar Center most of the time. Around here though it is really hard to find shops that sell anything but Yamaha and overpriced no name stuff for beginners. I'll go to GC try something out and then look for it online if at all possible. I asked GC if they could do a set up on my prized Strat. They said they don't do set-ups in store for other than newly purchased guitars but they had an employee that does it on the side. Nervously I handed it over and asked for a receipt. The guy looked at me like I was crazy. Six, weeks later I got it back with glue smeared all over the back of the neck. Like a ten year old building a car model. He said he had to glue the nut back in place. I never had any problem with the nut. The "new" strings he put on "DR"s he told me actually had rust on them. The action seems higher to me, and there was a nice new scratch just behind the bridge. Now this is just an ordinary Fender American Standard Stratocaster like any other and it is a "players" guitar, But it is MINE, and it was the first thing I ever purchased after I got out of school/military and got a real job. To me it represents all the hard work to get to that point in my life. If you plan to do set ups on the side then you had better handle other people instruments like you were handeling B.B. Kings "Lucille". Yeah not to happy with GC. Not really thier fault but they shouldn't say thier guy can do it if he really can't.