Topic: Palm muting

Can anyone tell me how to palm mute?  Thanks in advance!

Pat

My ambition far exceeds my ability

Re: Palm muting

the ole palm mute is pretty simple but as with everthing else associated with guitar its all about practice. basiclly all it is is laying the fat part of your palm,the part thats under your pinky finger closest to your wrist and lying it on your strings as you strum. so strum a chord normally and let it ring.now lay your palm down and insted of strumming try to keep you wrist still and just move your pick.you should get a chunk, chunk,chunk sound.kind of hard to explain but if you need more help let us know.

Thanks very much, I'll give it a try.

Pat

My ambition far exceeds my ability

Hi Pat!

I'm a rookie and one of my recently frustrating problems was the muting...

My friend played the proclaimers "500 miles" for me with that short chunk, chunk sound that Satman describes. I instantly hated him for being able to play it so good and close to the original.

When I playd it with muting I got either full ringing chords that died completely when i "palmed" them (didn't sound good), or I got all chunk and no chord tone at all.

A couple of days later (and deadly frustrated) got the hang of a mute by mistake. I strummed the chord and accidently in the motion muted the strings with my lower arm (the fleshy part just over the hand). Tried it more and got it working real fine.

I put my lower arm kind of in line with the strings, strummed a bit higher towards the neck and muted with wrist/lower arm. The real trick with a good mute is to get the chord sound out clear but not let it get to a full rich ring before you mute it.

When I got the hang of the mute my plying got to a completely new level, you can do so much with the mute.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

/Missen

If you love what you do, there's no need to be good at it...