Topic: other hobbies

Hi all, besides playing guitar what are your hobbies or things you like to do?? Myself I love
working with wood. I build hutches, dry sinks,book cases, and such. Sometimes it can be
profitable.

Badeye   cool

one caper after another

Re: other hobbies

My wife wishes I had a hobby like that, but mostly I watch football (St Mirren FC) and love the occasional wander through the Scottish hills.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Fishing & paddling mainly.  I camp sometimes to get closer to the fishing and paddling.  I used to hike and bike quite a bit, but that's tapered off.  I love being outdoors. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Longbow/Warbow Archery!

Very satisfying to see an arrow flying 100's of metres and know you put the power behind the spring.

Even better to hit the clout at distance or the Bull at the mark (best of all to split an arrow).

I appreciate Zurf's hobbies (step out the back door here and your almost in the wilds (if the UK has any "wilds")) and wish I was better at woodwork, badeye (great to have something that brings in bucks!); my attempts at watercolour aren't that great.

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

Hunting, fishing, camping, working in the garden, bow legged wemmin, friends and family.

Nela

Well I do a lot of woodworking but it's more of a job than a hobby... I really enjoy fishing, camping, and boating. I'm an avide reader. I also skate and surf smile Though the surfing has eased off some over the past couple of years. I'm currently collecting more tools to get further into lutherie. I got a really pretty slab of quarter sewn Hog about a month ago and it's about time to start putting it to use wink

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

badeye wrote:

Hi all, besides playing guitar what are your hobbies or things you like to do?? Myself I love
working with wood. I build hutches, dry sinks,book cases, and such. Sometimes it can be
profitable.

Badeye   cool

I'm curious to know what "dry sinks" are.. smile

I collected stamps for quite a few years and have quite a large collection of UK stamps from Victoria to modern day. I know Boring.....
Also gardening mainly flowers. Read alot..
ark

arkady wrote:

I'm curious to know what "dry sinks" are.. smile

ark

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/150/349502783_9ad62f02d1.jpg?v=0

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.

Did you build that Pix??? yikes

>>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

KajiMa wrote:

Did you build that Pix??? yikes

No, not that. Dry sinks aren't too common around here. I do mainly kitchen cabinetry, build-ins and repairing/refinishing of antique furniture. Gold leafing, inlay repair and such.

It wood (boom, boom) be great to see some of your work Pix.

2 questions;

Is a dry sink something that accomplishes the same job as a regular sink but without the water?

And I realise it has something to do with wood, but what exactly is "quarter sewn hog?" Is it anything like lacewood?

KajiMa wrote:

It wood (boom, boom) be great to see some of your work Pix.

2 questions;

Is a dry sink something that accomplishes the same job as a regular sink but without the water?

And I realise it has something to do with wood, but what exactly is "quarter sewn hog?" Is it anything like lacewood?

"Hog" is just slang for mahogany.  Quarter sawn is the way it's cut.  Quarter sawn is essential for proper stability in the wood but is hard to find. I'm lucky enough to have a old family friend who owns a saw mill and can cut to my specs.
Here's a quick example of wood cuts.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3304/3493418251_790644b780_o.jpg

In a month or 2, (as soon as I get the rest of the tools in) I'm going to start my first custom guitar or ukulele build and I'll be posting pics through out the whole process. -Pix

13 (edited by KajiMa 2009-05-02 14:00:41)

Thanks Pix!

I can see how the Flat is done; is the quarter sawn like 4 slices from a cake? How is the rift done?

Wood be good to see some of your non-instrument related stuff too!

I find it very soothing to work in the yard.  Flowers, grass, etc.  I guess that's my other hobby.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

KajiMa wrote:

Thanks Pix!

I can see how the Flat is done; is the quarter sawn like 4 slices from a cake? How is the rift done?

Wood be good to see some of your non-instrument related stuff too!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3631/3493684179_5521a393d7_o.jpg

This shows how it's cut.

I don't keep a scrap book with photo's of past jobs but my parents own a piano that I redid the inlay work on a couple of years ago as a present for them. I'll swing by this afternoon and snap some pics of it and post them for you. It's brass and Mother of pearl torch inlays. It's a very old handbuilt piano. Never seen another like it. Even the soundboard was handmade from mahogany instead of the metal used on all other pianos I've seen. Very cool piece!

16 (edited by getfiddle 2009-05-02 16:06:29)

Excellent hobby Guitarpix! I once thought about learning how to build guitars, but when I found out the price of the tools and the material that goes into doing it, I relized I was to poor to afford them, so I decided it was to expensive a hobby! So I hunt, fish, camp, and float, and play guitar. I'm in the process of learning the ins and outs of recording. As soon as I get that process down I plan on putting some stuff online so people can hear what my songs sound like, instead of guessing! I too would be interested in seeing some of your work.

A musician is someone with too much time on their hands! Thank god I'm a musician!!!

I like to draw...
http://lilwing14.deviantart.com/

All You Need is Love smile

18 (edited by KajiMa 2009-05-02 16:59:27)

Great stuff last_rebel cool

Are you by any chance inspired by Escher?

And thank you Pix; the veil has lifted from my eyes! smile

CHESS,oil painting,charcoal and pencil drawings hanging out at the lake and getting a tan smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

alvee33 wrote:

My wife wishes I had a hobby like that, but mostly I watch football (St Mirren FC) and love the occasional wander through the Scottish hills.

Did,nt do to well today ,did they.

My hobby is bird watching.

Hey Henryb!

Feathered?

KajiMa wrote:

Great stuff last_rebel cool

Are you by any chance inspired by Escher?

And thank you Pix; the veil has lifted from my eyes! smile

Thanks! And its weird, the first drawing I did that was sort of like that, I had no idea who Escher was but people kept telling me I had to be influenced by him. I've come to love his stuff and now I WOULD say he's influenced me, but it didn't start that way.

All You Need is Love smile

For me I like to read, play soccer and go hiking in the mountains.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Mixed Martial Arts, agnostic religious studies, herbal and citrus gardening, and novice wood working ( thanks Guitarpix for the educational information, very helpful!). I attempt to build replicas of my musical equipment for my 3yr old son, minus the electronics. My wife and I made our little guy his very own Mackie Mixer copy, a pedal board just like Dads', and a  miniature Bose L1 Cylydrical Radiator Loudspeaker System. He loves 'em and they have 1/4" holes drilled all throughout( with no electronics!) for him to plug his "hand me down cables" into that I gave him. My skills are minimal when it comes to woodworking but I'm very detail oriented and extremely careful and respectful of power tools( ie saws!!!)

Give everything but up.