Topic: Just For Fun Favorite Covers...

So alot of well known songs are actually covers of old ones, and I was just wondering what some of yall's all time favorites were. My list could be ten miles long but I'm gonna go with just a few for conversation's sake:

1) Bobby Bland and The Blues Band do T-Bone Walkers 'Stormy Monday':  Wayne Bennets guitar work on this version of the song is a hugely significant musical nugget and the ABBs Live at the Fillmore East performance of it was based on this one, so its definately a favorite of mine being a big fan of both bands

2) The White Stripes do 'Your Southern Can is Mine' by Blind Willie McTell: I can actually hear how Willie probably influenced Jack White's vocals, and this version is a nice tribute that doesn't stray all too far and is alot of fun to listen to (I like it when they did Son House's 'Death Letter' too as far as that goes)

3) Lynyrd Skynyrd does J.J. Cale's 'Call Me the Breeze' : Steve Gaines was mostly responsible for this one if I'm not mistaken. This version is so much more well known than the original which I think is interesting, just a good song anyway and it was fun to find out it was a cover

Like I said I could do alot more, but lets start off with those what do yall think?

All You Need is Love smile

Re: Just For Fun Favorite Covers...

I love your list especially number 1. I like these (I tend to gravitate towards the unusual ones)

Cake performing Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive" or Bread's "Guitar Man"
Chris Cornell covering Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean"
Bowling For Soup doing Britney Spear's "Baby, Hit Me One More Time"
Ben Folds doing Dr Dre's "B*****s Aint Shit"

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

My favorite is Social Distortions cover of Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire"

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

4 (edited by Zurf 2009-05-01 03:52:32)

Johnny Cash's cover of 9 Inch Nail's "Hurt"
Luther Allison's cover of The Rolling Stones "You Can't Always Get What You Want"
Dr. John's cover of Stevie Ray Vaughan's "Cold Shot"
The Duhk's cover of Sting's "Love Is The Seventh Wave"
Joan Jett's cover of the theme song to the Mary Tyler Moore Show
Bonnie Raitt's cover of John Prine's "Angel From Montgomery"
Willie Nelson's cover of Billie Joe Shaver's "Fast Train to Georgia"
Ray Charles' cover of the classic "Georgia", also covered by Willie Nelson
Mavis Staple's cover of Bob Dylan's "You've Got to Serve Somebody"
And since we've got Bonnie Raitt and SRV mentioned in the same post, I'll add her version of "Pride and Joy" for consideration. 

Self-Covers:
Jimmy Buffett covered his own song "Son of a Son of a Sailor" on his album "Take Me To Margaritaville", and I like it far better than the original. 
Eric Clapton did an acoustic cover of his own "Layla" (from Derek and the Dominoes period), which I like very well.

I'm sure I'll think of some more.  I love covers.  It's always fun to hear how someone else interprets the same lyrics and brings an entirely different style and feel to it. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

ahh neat list.

Jeff Healy does a great version of George Harrison's "While my guitar gently's weeps"

Matt Minglewood does an awesome version of Sonny Boy Williamson's " Somebody help me "

Johnny Cash does some Dylan tunes and does them justice.

A local band I know can do Supertramp tunes to a T.

Eric Clapton's version of "I shot the sheriff" by Marley is good.

Badeye    cool

one caper after another

Travis doing Broccoli Spears' "Hit Me Baby One More Time"

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

Zurf wrote:

Luther Allison's cover of The Rolling Stones "You Can't Always Get What You Want"
And since we've got Bonnie Raitt and SRV mentioned in the same post, I'll add her version of "Pride and Joy" for consideration. 

Self-Covers:
Jimmy Buffett covered his own song "Son of a Son of a Sailor" on his album "Take Me To Margaritaville", and I like it far better than the original. 
Eric Clapton did an acoustic cover of his own "Layla" (from Derek and the Dominoes period), which I like very well.

I'm sure I'll think of some more.  I love covers.  It's always fun to hear how someone else interprets the same lyrics and brings an entirely different style and feel to it. 

- Zurf

Who actually wrote the song 'Georgia' anyway? And I agree about the acoustic version of Layla, very nice.

I dig the covers of old time blues tunes

Leadbelly - Nirvana cover of Where did You Sleep Last Night. CCR cover of Midnight Special

Canned Heat cover of Henry Thomas' Bull Doze Blues

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB& … Qo9R5kDZWY

Any Clapton cover of Robert Johnson

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

last_rebel wrote:
Zurf wrote:

Self-Covers:

- Zurf

Who actually wrote the song 'Georgia' anyway? And I agree about the acoustic version of Layla, very nice.

That'd be Hoagy Carmichael;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_on_My_Mind

Give everything but up.

Whoa black betty bmb-a lam.
This is a fantastic cover by BLACK BETTY. The original song is by HUDDIE LEDBETTER, aka LEADBELLY , like topdown wrote.
I possible know 100 songs, one of the most dramatic songs + cover is: WITHOUT YOU by BADFINGER. The 2 who wrote that song end 1969 have committed suicide. One man, a singer became huge with that cover: Harry Nilsson (a lot of passion in the song), also Mariah Carey (no passion in the song), Badfinger: a song to forget asap, a simple pop tune. So my list =
- Leadbelly black betty
- Without you
- Proud Mary the Ike & Tina version
- All along the watchtower.
BETTER TO WRITE IS THAT IN THE 60ties YOU HAD "COVERITIS" WHO WROTE: Neil Diamond, Bob Dylan, Beatles to much very good covers to mention.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

SouthPaw41L wrote:
last_rebel wrote:
Zurf wrote:

Self-Covers:

- Zurf

That'd be Hoagy Carmichael;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_on_My_Mind

Oh cool! Thanks for the link! You learn something every day hehe. Doc, I almost put All Along The Watchtower up there too so I'm glad you said it its a big one.

Zurf wrote:

Self-Covers:

- Zurf

Darn, I forgot about Willie Nelson's version of Georgia...well done sir. that's a great one.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

I really dig Elvis Costellos' cover of " What's So Funny 'bout Peace, Love, and Understanding" by Nick Lowe..........

and Keb Mo doin' Dylans' " The Times They Are a Changin' ".........

and Johnny Cash covering Soundgardens' "Rusty Cage".........

and Ben Harper covering Marvin Gayes' "Sexual Healing"...........

and Van Halen covering The Kinks' " Girl You Really Got Me Now"..........

and The Ramones covering Paul Ankas' "My Way"..............

heck fire! I could go on all dang day with this thread..........

Give everything but up.

Has anyone heard the version of "Like A Rollin' Stone" by Bob Dylan ...............in 3/4!!!!??????

I prefer it.

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

I have heard it! Very interesting. Not sure ita my fav but definately cool to hear.

"Oh Darlin" by Paul McCartney
"Angel Flying too Close to the Ground" by Willie Nelson
"Christmas with the Family" by Robert Earl Keen
And this one by Gove  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwj-0W_E … re=related

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?