Topic: Electirc Guitar

Apologies but this isn't in the wrong section.

I've always been of the opinion that the acoustic is the perfect instrument to play as a solo instrument, whether at home in the kitchen, on stage etc.. Just about any song can sound good (apart from when I'm in control) and it appears a lot of modern chart/pop/rock music starts out as a riff played on an acoustic guitar. 

My question is, is an electric as fun and good to play as a solo instrument?  I'm only ever going to play to family and friends while they drunkly sing along so I can't decide whether it's worth me getting hold of an old electric guitar and an amp.

I know if I post this in the electric section I'll get a "Hell Yeh!" so I wanted your opinions.

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

Re: Electirc Guitar

Hi crevs.1972
I believe for general family/friends playing you can't go wrong with just a plain old acoustic. If you want a bit more bite a electro acoustic is a nice way to go giving you the option of amping/effects etc if needed.
I have a strat which rarely use now as all the stuff I record I use a electro acoustic with some FX..
But it's horses for courses and what is needed guitar wise in the way of  sounds..
ark

Hey Crevs.1972.

Ditto what Arkady said (good on yer Arkady!)! cool

Unless you want to dive bomb, you will be able to get that electric feel from an Electro Acoustic. Anyway, look how many electric guitars don't come with a wammy bar (Les Paul anyone?) which is the only thing (sound wise) you might notice with an Electro Acoustic plugged in with some valve overdrive, chorus and delay compared to an electric! wink

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

Just a plain old acoustic is my preference.  You just pick it up and play.  Plenty loud and you don't have to plug it in.  Or go oputside without having to carry everything else out with you.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I may be in the minority here, but I say if you can afford it, play both. Even Bob Dylan plays mostly electric now. Some electric songs, don't sound well acoustically, and vice-versa. As mostly a blues player, my sound falls somewhere in between. When I am "on it", I can get a pretty decent sound with either. Having said that however, you may not want to blow your family's socks off with an electric, if you are playing in the kitchen! If I was forced to choose one over the other, it would be acoustic, in a heart beat. It's hard to pulg into a sand dune, when you go to the beach.

But, here's the secret about the guitar: It's defiant. It will never let you conquer it. The more that you get involved with it, the more you realize how little you know.
                 Les Paul  March 2007

"Plain old acoustic" is a little harsh.  I don't own any "plain old acoustics".  I do have some "old acoustics",  I wouldn't trade these for anything.  If you're going to go it alone in a social setting or professional stage setting, your best bet is with an acoustic.  Electric guitars are not for the venue that you describe.  Ok, Maybe you could pull it off if your name is Satriani.  Personally, tho, I'd rather see Adrian Legg on stage alone than any electric player alone.

Now available in 5G !

I always prefer acoustic guitar and no P.A. system. As soon as you plug in and back off to a stage, so much intimacy is lost.
However, when the crowd numbers more than twelve and they are pounding lots-o-beer, they make more noise than the guitar/vocalist.
The great Jimmy Buffet carries a small guitar amp, mike and stand around in his seaplane with him in case a music session breaks out and the gang gets rowdy.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

I don't own an electric, but it is on my list. I would say if you have cash to throw around buy one...even better play around with a friends, or test one at a guitar store, then decide if you want one.

Some people seem to assume electric means loud but I don't see why that has to be the case.
Just because you have an electric guitar does not mean you are playing like the annoying kid in the music store testing out all of the effects-pedals. I can not see why playing an electric means you need to be on a stage or impersonal. Other than the inconvenience of an amp why could you not play an electric in your kitchen same as you do your acoustic?

Mandolin>guitar

Ad go for Electro Acoustic too, that way you can amp it or not.(sold my solid bodied electric found no need for it)   i have semi hollow which i pick up and play if its early morn'(3 or 4 o clock)cos it wont wake up the house lol otherwise i pick up Acoustic.

I am a true novice just playing for a year and a half  so this is just my opinion,whats best for me,I just wish i could play in the same room as other people,i tend to go to pieces(cant hit a right chord)if ask to play something Grrrrrrr its so frustrating when i know i can play it(and i say play it loosely lol)

Cheers Micky cool

cool Dont Stop Kid Keep Rockin'  !! cool

Cheers for everyone's comments and advice. 

I suppose my heart will always be in acoustic music, I just love the natural, soulful sound you get, it's such a diverse instrument.  I'd pretty much rather an acoustic version of a song over any version and in my experience of listening to music (not playing), I find the songs that you'd never expect to work acoustically usually sound the best.  I just love the MTV unplugged sessions and also BBC Radio 1's Live Lounge sessions by Joe Wiley are fantastic (for everyone outside the UK or not familiar with the Live Lounge sessions, Joe Wiley invites artists into the studio and they play one of their own songs and a cover af someone elses).  If you haven't heard any of these try and get hold of one of few albums out there, they're great.

Anyway.. As well as having a love of acoustic music I grew up on my dad's music, Deep Purple, Led Zeplin, Cream and I then moved onto Iron Maiden, Metallica, Motorhead etc so I've always had an urge to crank things up a little.  So on the weekend I bought a cheap Fender and 50watt Amp and away we go!

On balance I'd still rather play the acoustic but it's great to then get up and blast off the Smoke on the Water or Whole Lotta Lovin' riffs!

Seriously tho, put on the earphones and I can bash away to my hearts content with the wife and kids watching me in shock from Sofa without hearing a thing apart from my athritic joints crumbling beneath me ;?)

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

There is no law that says you can't have more than one guitar.  In fact, I'm of the opinion that you aught to have more than one guitar.

Play what you got!

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I have an electric and enjoy it, but not near as much as my acoustic. 

I do have a friend who's got a strong opinion.  He says that a guitar is like a Hoover.  Once you plug them in, they both suck. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I love good rock and blues guitar electric, but I play Acoustic and would always rather mic it as well as plug it in!

I might buy an electric if I came into lotsa lucre, probably one of those new Moogs! cool

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

I agree with Jerome why not have both? I have a strat,dobro and a hohner electric acoustic but ive only plugged it in once because it sounds better miked when recording and I use martin silk n steel strings they really feel nice and sound great on recordings,my amp is only 30 watts but it has a "dirty" channel that sustains and coupled with my Boss ME=50 processor its all the sound I need for my strat smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"