Topic: Probably this question is asked, about the quality & specs of an amp

Years ago buying a guitar and an amp wasn't that complicated as today.
- GIBSON CHOICE = Standard, Custom, and an SG
- FENDER CHOICE = Stratocaster and Telecaster
I am going back in time 30 years and here in EUROPE.
No Zakk Wyldes, Slash, only these brands.
MY ALZHEIMER causes probably some other fine guitars, and fascinated by a real Fender or Gibson, what a dream. No $$$ so my first was a Yamaha Acoustic FG 300
But my dream was to own a Gibson, and thanks to a friend working as boss at the customs I got my very first Gibson LP Studio.
The same guy was responsible for my first amp, a Marshall Valvestate 100W.
Later, having more money, I was able to buy a dream amp (MY dream amp) a Fender Cybertwin 130W (2x65W) a real monster, also a hybrid one, tubes and digital. See picture
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3592/3472115653_0b2b717a79.jpg?v=0
And 7 years ago an acoustic Marshall 100W and tubes.
MY QUESTION IS, ONLY ABOUT A COMBO:
- Which amp is better: a valve amp or a tube amp?
- The Cybertwin has both, a tube pre-amp, and an amazing piece of art. I compared it several times with classic Fender amps (Twin, Bassman...) and there was no difference in sound.
- today, thanks to Line 6, there are a lot of modelling amps, but
- what about the good old TUBE AMP? Is there a revival?
- There are a lot of pro's and con's concerning both types of amps, so I will be a happy man if I get answers, from guitar players who perform, or who have a home studio.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: Probably this question is asked, about the quality & specs of an amp

I don't have a lot of experience with guitar amps but do with studio kit.

A valve amp will give you a naturally warm sound but is a very inefficient machine using lots of zap juice.

A solid state uses less electricity and is great for a "clean" guitar sound but it's very difficult to get that "naturally" warm sound.

An amp with both solid state and valve circuitry in the pre-amp section would seem to me the best way to go!

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

Re: Probably this question is asked, about the quality & specs of an amp

A person that just wants to play around the house can use a modeling amp, with or without a tube in it. They need a variety of tones and not much volume. Generally their guitar costs more than their amp.

People that play for a living are better off with a mediocre guitar and a really good (all tube) amp. They need to get as loud a a drummer, get really good tones and sit in a mix with other players.