Topic: Good songs that may have lost some meaning

What does everyone think about when a popular band, such as Queen, sells their songs to be used on TV commericials, movies, etc? Take "We Will Rock You" for example, one of the best rock songs ever written.  Then it shows up on TV all over the place, advertising restaurants and the like.  Also, take "Sweet Home Alabama" being played on the KFC ads...anyone have an opinion on this?

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

Re: Good songs that may have lost some meaning

The KFC cover of Sweet Home Alabama is crap... I think its a smart move, as far as marketing goes, familiar tunes spark recognition and therefore immediate attention in the brain. What I hate is that it reduces well constructed songs to cheap jingles, doing no justice at all to the work behind them.

All You Need is Love smile

I really used to like Still the One by Orleans but it got way overplayed on the radio and then one of the big 3 TV networks used it as their New Fall promo song...kind of a shame too.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

I would think of it as a great compliment, no matter what the subject it is used for.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I agree it is a great compliment to the songwriter and the band as well as a great way to make more money on their song, but for the listener who may have liked the original meaning of the song it kind of takes away from your memories. At least that is the way I feel. It all depends on your perspective I guess.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Its a great compliment to a well known and highly succesful band whos had great musical influence to be used on a fast food commercial??

All You Need is Love smile

Like a rock.
Every time I hear that song now I think of a pickup truck.
I would think an unknown artist having their song used in a commercial would be a compliment but an artist that is already famous for the song would probably just consider it another source of income.

riddler wrote:

Like a rock.
Every time I hear that song now I think of a pickup truck.
I would think an unknown artist having their song used in a commercial would be a compliment but an artist that is already famous for the song would probably just consider it another source of income.

I couldn't agree more. The most irrating thing for me is sucessful bands selling their music to be used in commercials. The Rolling Stones????? Do they need money???? How much is enough? I can understand a struggling artist selling their music but popular acts should be ashamed of themselves. It just seems greedy to me...that's all. I can understand the band that has to eat but the big name acts just end up looking greedy and pathetic.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

I think some of the old classic rock tunes they sell to use in commercials are because some of them just need a payday, no one listens to rock anymore, it's all changed, unfortunatly, although I'm sure there are exceptions, ever notic you've never heard a Neil Young song in one, I once read he'd never allow one of his songs to be used to promote any product, I hope he continues that.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

I think it is entirely dependent on the context. I liked this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV65Z7p2Xy8

These... not so much:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nopKDuydRo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM6jW-vdP2M

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!