Topic: Bands that use Power Chords

I've recently taken up the guitar again and have just started to use Power chords which seem to suit my fat fingers and general lack of coordination.  I have been mainly using the American Idiot Album by Green day.  Can anyone advise me of other albums/Bands that use power chords almost exclusively ?

Re: Bands that use Power Chords

A power chord is essentially the same as a barre chord except that only the top few strings are played instead of all. So really any song that uses chords could be played with power chords. Green day is a perfect band to work with for power chords. How about Offspring, Sex Pistols, or Ramones. They are all in that genre, and also my favorites.

Most metal bands use power chords for the speed/economy of movement. The distortion of the amplifiers somewhat covers the clear sounding tone you get from a barre chord. It is not as easy to pull off power chords on an acoustic obviously, as you hear most sounds more clearly on an acoustic. Even though you may prefer power chords as a short cut, I would suggest you learn barre chords also, you won't regret it.

But, here's the secret about the guitar: It's defiant. It will never let you conquer it. The more that you get involved with it, the more you realize how little you know.
                 Les Paul  March 2007

Thanks.  I have struggled with quick changes on barre chords hence my current interest in power chords.  I think with increased confidence I will try to branch out from power chords I think a lot of it is about confidence and if you can get one thing under your belt it encourages you in to new challeges.

Social Distortion is a good example if you like Punk Rock ... Judas Priest utilize a lot of power chords as well ... like craig said, almost any barre chord or open chord can be played as a power chord ... AC/DC is another example of a band that utilizes power chords for rythym playing (although a lot is played in the open chord formation) ... I'm strictly a rythym player so the power chord is a big part of my playing

You can change the sounds from power chords by using only the two note power chord (thinner sound) or the full three note power chord (fatter sound) ... again, Social Distortion is a GREAT example of power chord useage as the rythym is always played utilizing power chords and they sound great

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

I love Social Distortion!

thanks Guys.  I have not heard of social distortion it just goes to show you learn something every day.  Your suggestions will keep me busy for the forseeable future.  cheers again

Nirvana uses a lot of power chords

"Policeman shouts but I don't see him/ They're one thing I don't believe in"
-Tomorrow, 'My White Bicycle'

metallica, pantera, avenged sevenfold, and any heavy metal band really uses at least some power chords

A "Power chord" is an interval of a perfect 5th.   That's really all there is to it.  Sounds great at high gain, moves all over the fret board, etc...

More tools in the tool box.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

thanks guys