Topic: Question Re: Affects

I'm just an old geezer who needs to detune a guitar one full tone for some songs and a while back a guy told me that there is an electronic gadget / gizmo that plugs in between the guitar and the system that will do this electronically ... Does anyone know of such a thing that's available without spending four bills on a guitar effects processor ?? It sure would save time not having to retune or switch guitars ... Thanks for any help ....
              Jerry

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

2 (edited by KajiMa 2009-05-01 19:09:09)

Re: Question Re: Affects

Hey G S E.

You're looking for a Pitch-Shifter.

Many multi-effects (FX) have a pitch shifter built in but I recommend getting a purpose-built device for a purposeful job. The Behringer Ultrashifter/Harmonist US6000 retails here @ around £39.59.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/images/products/US600_P0532_Right_web.jpg

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

HI, KajiMa.
  Will the Behr. US600 create a harmony line along with your lead voice?  As in when ya come to the chorus and stomp it you'd hear two voices? One in harmony, say a high baratone or tenor? If not, do you know what will?

Ron

Hey aabb.

Looks like that is probably a "Yes!"

Go to http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/US600.aspx to see and hear all about it.

(I need shares in or a commission from Behringer!)

>>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

5 (edited by KajiMa 2009-05-05 17:25:51)

Sorry aabb, I've just been back to your question and skimmed over one detail that it was lead VOX NOT GUITAR! yikes roll

Nevertheless, the answer "Yes!" still stands with some considerations.

Namely that you need to bear in mind the input is for an instrument so is therefore unbalanced - it takes an instrument jack with a tip (signal) and sleeve (earth). Most mics from pretty naff to high quality come with a balanced connection - XLR, one point being earth the other two both signal but one positive and one negative (it uses phase cancellation to clean up any noise accrued on the cable run, but you might not need to know that).

What you do need to know is that if you get an XLR to Balanced Jack (Tip, Ring, Sleeve - TRS) you can plug it in and it should work as the negative signal will flow to earth, but on the output the signal will be unbalanced also.

The best way to use it for Vox will be as an auxilliary effect - mic signal goes into mixer, some of which is tapped and fed into an outside device and returns either to an auxilliary or to its' own dedicated mixer channel/s (mono/stereo). As most auxilliaries (on all but top end mixers) are unbalanced, this would be the way to go.

The other thing to bear in mind is that a lot of gear for guitars has a reduced frequency response (CD is 20Hz (bass) to 20KHz or 20,000Hz (treble)) and this is useful for Vox but a lot of guitar gear will have a response of less bass-end to treble rolling off at around 15KHz, although this is not a hard and fast rule and I couldn't see the frequency response in the specs or manual of the link in my last post!

There are lots of things that are designed especially for Vox and some have features built-in to handle a guitar as well - including Mic and Guitar pre-amps and seperate effects for both signals too! These will give you better vocal results but you will have to pay for it!

Get back if any further explanation or help is required cool

Hey Kaji ,

Thank you very much , looks like just what I need !!
Have'nt had time to get on here ... L O L ....
                        Jerry

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

No worries G S E. smile

It's always good to know that these responses help - happy to!