Topic: Quick question....

Just wanted to know real quick...

Can you substitute a "B"(11) string for a high-e (9) string?

I just blew out my high-e playing along to an albert walker styled backing track and have an extra b-string lying around. It would save me from having to run to the guitar shop AND buy a whole new set of strings.

heck, I probably need to try another brand of strings anyway and upgrade to 10s...lol

Thanks,
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Re: Quick question....

You could in a pinch as a last resort but tune it up slow to the E and get a replacement it sounds like you need a string change anyway smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Yeah...I'll just take a trip to the guitar store.
I've been hankering to try out 10's and see how I like em.

Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Hey Detman.

Remember that heavier strings where they will have less tendancy to break it will be harder to fret notes and may require some neck adjustment because of Coefficience of Expansion (Thanks Russell cool) or how wood reacts to different tensions.

On the plus side they will sound warmer and a little louder.

(That sure is a cool signiature you got, hee hee smile )

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

Thanks KajiMa. I like my quote too. Picked it up on the Squier '51 modders board.

That is kinda bad news. The replacement neck that I have on my squier 51 requires removal to adjust the truss rod.
I guess I will stick with 9's until I can get a stock telecaster/squier '51 neck.

Ah well...

=[
Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Don't be too hasty. I could be wrong (I often am) and repeated tuning might solve it. Some of the other guys are better equiped to tell you about electrics and string tension/adjustment.

I think the excellent Russell or Pix might be able to help.

(Pix is excellent too as are just about everyone here; my phrasing didn't state that accurately!)

>>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

KajiMa wrote:

Don't be too hasty. I could be wrong (I often am) and repeated tuning might solve it. Some of the other guys are better equiped to tell you about electrics and string tension/adjustment.

I think the excellent Russell or Pix might be able to help.

(Pix is excellent too as are just about everyone here; my phrasing didn't state that accurately!)

I'm very competent with setting up my axes and do all my work myself...I just hate the fact that as awesome as this neck is, you have to take it off to adjust the truss rod. (Old school fender style...ugh)

Frankly, that is becoming the constant nail-in-the-coffin for this neck. I really can't see selling it, but it will be replaced once I find a comparable tele neck.

=/
Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

You could use the b string in a pinch but I'd suspect it won't sound very balanced...

As far as going to 10's, I think you'd probably be okay. You can usually move up or down one step without any real adjustment being needed. Even if it did add just a touch more relief to the neck it would be hardly noticable and shouldn't have much effect on your intonation. No more than it would be, you could work it out at the bridge without having to go to the truss rod. But chances are it will be fine without any adjustments anywhere.

Thanks for the kind words Kajima! You seem to be an excellent guy yourself smile -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Guitarpix wrote:

You could use the b string in a pinch but I'd suspect it won't sound very balanced...

As far as going to 10's, I think you'd probably be okay. You can usually move up or down one step without any real adjustment being needed. Even if it did add just a touch more relief to the neck it would be hardly noticable and shouldn't have much effect on your intonation. No more than it would be, you could work it out at the bridge without having to go to the truss rod. But chances are it will be fine without any adjustments anywhere.

Thanks for the kind words Kajima! You seem to be an excellent guy yourself smile -Pix

Kewl, Thanks GuitarPix.

=]
Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

KajiMa wrote:

Coefficience of Expansion (Thanks Russell cool
  )

??????

Give everything but up.

toney he should have credited you with that he just misplaced a quote no big deal smile

Sorry Toney. I didn't scroll up enough to see name and avatar.

My bad.

That should have read "Coefficience of Expansion (Thanks Toney cool)"

DOH! roll

DOH!!

forgot I have locking tuners.
I trimmed the old B-string to fit the guitar perfectly.
thus, it's not long enough to reach the high-e tuner...lol.

Off to the store I go...

=p

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

I checked and I had the name wrong in the post in Guitars and Accessories.

That's changed now!

DOH! DOH! roll

dont ever let it happen again or you will be required to do 100  pushups lol

Thank you sir

Thank you sir

Thank you.............Oh WILL BE required!?

DOH! roll

smile