Re: other hobbies

I race bicycles, it can be really demanding, having to train the 250 - 300 miles per week on top of a job and family.  At 37 I'm just starting to struggle and I have been asking myself if it's time to hang up my wheels.  I've been racing for 15 years and before that I played rugby before an injury put an end to that!  I've never had a relaxing period in my life an I think I want one?

I'm starting to think that it's probably the guitar that has given me a new direction, either that or old age??

Interesting to see so many people into wood working, I did an old fashioned 4 year apprenticeship as a bench joiner and although the work was satisfying the money was poor and the hours long!  I re trained and I'm now a local government worker in an accounts dept, the money's good, hours short but no job satisfaction! I'd love to have a little workshop and knock out some furniture.

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

used to make forts/dolls houses/hobby horses stuff like that then went on to garden furniture etc,Used to Fly fish! Fly tying/ Go Beating , used to cycle/walking(notice how its "used to" lol?) i tend to drift from one thing to another when the creative mood takes me
now its my guitars more and more with a splattering of Footie/soccer.following the Toon these are now deeply embedded,cant see me drifting away from these hobbies! cool

Cheers micky cool

cool Dont Stop Kid Keep Rockin'  !! cool

28 (edited by micky the mooch 2009-05-03 05:49:01)

What yer old age? Well do you tuck your T shirt well into into your trousers and pull said trousers up to a  expanding waistline? cant manage to eat the size meals yer used to?.. starting to like toungue sarnies? ... answers yes to these Oh Brother yer getting old lol

crevs.1972 wrote:

I'm starting to think that it's probably the guitar that has given me a new direction, either that or old age?? .

cool Dont Stop Kid Keep Rockin'  !! cool

henryb wrote:
alvee33 wrote:

My wife wishes I had a hobby like that, but mostly I watch football (St Mirren FC) and love the occasional wander through the Scottish hills.

Did,nt do to well today ,did they.

sad No they did not. Looks like a very nervy ending to the season. As usual!

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

I've had to feed hungry horses and now I'm going to loose a few at a clout 125 metres away!

Traditional Yeomanry training - unlike an egg, you can't beat it! wink

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

I'm quite creative and like making pretty jewellery and faery wings... I secretly obsessed with faeries... They are real!

I also am very involved with alternative therapies and am a qualified Aromatherapist and Baby Massage therapist. I love kids and am a volunteer for a charity that supports families in crisis. I am working full time with children with behaviour problems and ADHD. I'm studying for a degree very late in life so I have been described as a 'mature part time student' and I am a single mum so as you can see... Life is hectic!

I like going out with friends too but lately my confidence has taken a few knocks and I get very nervous in public :-( I'm getting there though... It only took a jug of Pimms Punch and six 'Bodyguards' to make me feel secure last night!

Gosh there are a lot of interesting people in here :-)xxxx

Hey Tine.

Sorry your confidence got dented. It really is hard getting it together again after something that can do that.

At least here you're among friends who'll give you a hand up with both guitar and chin.

If cyberspace can transmit good vibes, they're heading to you

............right about............

...........................................................NOW smile

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

crevs.1972 wrote:

I race bicycles, it can be really demanding, having to train the 250 - 300 miles per week on top of a job and family.

I did that in my youth, but wasn't any good at it.  You must be alot better if you've been doing it for so long.  I spent three years in vigorous training, and didn't improve my placements whatever.  It seems that everyone else's times were improving as quickly as mine.  I was certain to come in exactly middle in every race.  If there were 11, I'd place sixth, if there were 101 I'd place 50th.  I did get to meet some interesting people and lift a track bike.  Those track bikes are amazing.  My sister was a track star at her college and she introduced me to this guy.  He offered to let me ride it, but I didn't want to take the risk of messing up a bike that cost about twice my annual earnings. 

I converted my race bike to a (very, very short) touring bike and haven't looked back. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I enjoy fishing and camping but rarely get to go. I've always loved classic cars and trucks also but that gets really expensive.

I love a fast sailboat, paddling a canoe and my 1976 RD400 motorcycle. I'm getting too fat and old to bicycle these days.
I wish I could skateboard with my grandson but I have to use a Fuzion Scooter to roll down hills with him.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Tine wrote:

I'm quite creative and like making pretty jewellery and faery wings... I secretly obsessed with faeries... They are real!

I also am very involved with alternative therapies and am a qualified Aromatherapist and Baby Massage therapist. I love kids and am a volunteer for a charity that supports families in crisis. I am working full time with children with behaviour problems and ADHD. I'm studying for a degree very late in life so I have been described as a 'mature part time student' and I am a single mum so as you can see... Life is hectic!

I like going out with friends too but lately my confidence has taken a few knocks and I get very nervous in public :-( I'm getting there though... It only took a jug of Pimms Punch and six 'Bodyguards' to make me feel secure last night!

Gosh there are a lot of interesting people in here :-)xxxx

Thats really cool. I love kids too and I've been trying to find ways to make my career something that has to do with them, and I'm not really sure I want to be a school teacher. Thats just great to hear somebody's doing something positive for the lil' ones

All You Need is Love smile

tubatooter1940 wrote:

I love a fast sailboat, paddling a canoe and my 1976 RD400 motorcycle. I'm getting too fat and old to bicycle these days.
I wish I could skateboard with my grandson but I have to use a Fuzion Scooter to roll down hills with him.

I just looked up the 1976 RD400.  Cool.  I used to ride a 1976(ish) Kawasaki KH400 - very similar to your bike.  It wasn't mine, but I got to ride it some.   Motorcycles were best when there were four categories: street, dirt, mini, and Harley. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf wrote:
crevs.1972 wrote:

I race bicycles, it can be really demanding, having to train the 250 - 300 miles per week on top of a job and family.

I did that in my youth, but wasn't any good at it.  You must be alot better if you've been doing it for so long.  I spent three years in vigorous training, and didn't improve my placements whatever.  It seems that everyone else's times were improving as quickly as mine.  I was certain to come in exactly middle in every race.  If there were 11, I'd place sixth, if there were 101 I'd place 50th.  I did get to meet some interesting people and lift a track bike.  Those track bikes are amazing.  My sister was a track star at her college and she introduced me to this guy.  He offered to let me ride it, but I didn't want to take the risk of messing up a bike that cost about twice my annual earnings. 

I converted my race bike to a (very, very short) touring bike and haven't looked back. 

- Zurf

I did a little on the track in my younger days before the natural speed you possess when your younger gradually left my ever slowing legs.

Looking back I've had a fair bit of success (relative of course) and I achieved everything I ever set to do, I certainly have no regrets.  It's just testiment that if you want something enough, you put the hard work in and make a few sacrifices along the way you can acheive anything!

My son plays rugby for an under 12 side in the Rhondda which is a fierce rugby hotbed here in Wales, the game here is full contact from under 9's up and believe me the boys go at it like you can only imagine.   He was lucky enough to get picked for the district aswell so alot of my time is spent driving him from training session to session to game.. i love it tho!

Zurf, I reckon I could sit and talk to you for hours!

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

I SCUBA dive, ride mountain bikes (I have 8 frames in my garage), golf, and play in the band.

It's busy being me.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Did I mention bowling? Love to bowl also!!

A musician is someone with too much time on their hands! Thank god I'm a musician!!!

41 (edited by Syd1994 2009-05-31 20:35:35)

When I'm not playing guitar I'm drawing...I wish I had more time to do both but I'm TRAPPED all day long in school...sometimes I wonder how much better I'd be at guitar and drawing if I didn't have to waste so much time at school.

"Policeman shouts but I don't see him/ They're one thing I don't believe in"
-Tomorrow, 'My White Bicycle'