Topic: a song for my dad

Hi Chordians, It's my dad's 70th birthday next year, and I am gonna suprize him with his first ever birthday party. I would also love to sing him a song. Can anyone think of, or know of any daughter to dad songs. I have only been playing just over a year, so the easier ones are best for me, no barre chords yet, thank you. Cheers all you lovely peeps.

aka ......   Boxer Petal....<3

Re: a song for my dad

Hi Boxer,

Although I cannot think of a suitable song at the moment, I have a better idea. Why not write a song for him yourself? You have plenty of time to do it.

I know you are capable as you have just posted a song in the Songwriting section. I would suggest you enlist the help of family and friends on the QT to tell you of interesting, amusing and embarrassing things from his younger days and also use your memories of him whilst growing up.

I cannot think of a greater present that a parent could receive from his child. OK I know you are a grown woman but I bet you are still your Dad's little girl. I know my thirty seven year old daughter is mine and always will be.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

3 (edited by badeye 2007-06-30 21:42:29)

Hello Boxer, some daughter /dad songs try

Coal Miners Daughter- Lorretta Lynn

Storms Never Last-Weylon Jennings

Strong Tea-Badeye [could be]

Daddy's Hands-The Judds

Daddy Frank-Merle Haggert

Just a few that could work. Or use Rogers idea.

good luck...Badeye.

one caper after another

Some possible ideas for birthday song for dad -
*At being 70, he has seen alot of things happen and change - but some things are constant, such as his love for you and your love for him.
*You might allude to some of the wisdom he has learned and passed on to you.
*Talk about what his life was like when he was your age.
*Maybe something about the lives he has touched (yours & others)
*Maybe something about the fact that men are always still little boys inside.
Just some food for thought . . . .
James

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Thanx for all the great advice, I have actually managed to write a little ditty this morning. I will post it in the Songwriting section. Thanx again.

Although I see someone else has already mentioned it, I'd like to second the song  "Daddys Hands". The version I remember was by Holly Dunn. I'm sure one you wrote personally would be best, but if all else fails, give "Daddy's hands" a listen. Best Regards Daryl

Thank you

"Danny's Song" by Kenny Loggins is a good one, so is Cat stevens "Father and Son" ..................Keep On...........justasinger54