Topic: recording your songs

having discussed this with my fellow moderators, i propose that writers who record their work might like to share with the rest of us how they made the recording for each song, as most songs would need a different sound, beat and so on...

this would not be compulsory, but it might help others who would like to make original recordings but cant figure out how to go about it, so questions could be asked and advice offered.

so, if you'd like to share your writing/recording experience with the rest of us, please do...this section is called "RECORDING" after all.

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Re: recording your songs

OK Phill I guess I can get the ball rolling,songs or ideas for lyrics do not always come when you want them so what I do is to video tape my jams even if its just trying out some changes because sometimes if I dont a really good idea is lost and if its on video I can reproduce the feeling and chord patterns along with any accents that make the song unique. Once I have decided to record this I make a decision as to if I want it acoustic with vocal like my songs "the truth, invisible star,soap on a rope.meshack etc.) or use effects and rhythm machines bass electric guitar and keyboards it depends on how much I feel the songs need and once Im set I usually start with the acoustic guitar for the rhythm I can do this because I have perfect meter(not bragging just fact) I usually lay another acoustic track and play the chords in a different position on the neck to give it variety and a full sound,next comes the bass,electric rhythm guitar and percussion followed by vocals and the last track is a lead solo and intro any strings or keyboard or slide work is inserted here and then I mix each track separately by turning the faders or volume control on all the other tracks to zero and work with just that one track adjusting the eq's adding reverb or delay kinda like salting to taste lol after all the tracks have been mixed I adjust the pan and bounce them if I need extra tracks to record but if the 8 tracks sound good them I open Audacity and load the song from my BR-8 and any final adjustments for volume or eq's is done with this program also to clean up unwanted noise and to trim it both at the beginning and the end and all this is done with a headset do not rely on your speakers after the final tweeks I convert it to mp3 and upload to wherever I wish smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

nice one russ,

i usually use a metronome, which i have on my korg D8 and also on my computer program sound studio gold,[i can usually play 3 1/2 beats to a bar in time before losing the plot!]. i use a different recording technique depending on if it's a song i can play using keyboards. when i next upload a song [i'm working on one at the moment] i intend to describe the process here, it would be nice if others do the same.

phill

Phill this could really turn out to be a real helpful topic for all members who are interested in recording and making it sound good thanks for dreaming this one up smile

5 (edited by Guitarpix 2009-05-11 21:34:01)

Just wanted to to say "I think this is a great idea!"

I've invested some into recording equipment...  I dabble with it but have never really figured it out properly. It's just one of those things that keep getting put on the back burner smile Here's how my recordings usually go... I tend to start off with my drum track. Usually just a bongo or cajun beat that I'll record through my condenser mic... Then I play that back over my headphones and record my rhythm on a separate track using my guit. I prefer to mic my acoustics and seldom run them straight to the recorder. Most of the time I'll mic the guitar and run a second mic to record vocals at the same time. I tend to sing better while playing...;) After that I play those 2 back together over the headphones and add in the whatever solo work I want to track 3. Then I just repeat the same process with the shakers, guiro, or whatever else I want to throw in a little of. That's about as far as I ever get sad  I have yet to figure out how to save my tracks and transfer them to the pc for further work. My digital recorder saves it to a flash drive and I've followed the directions to a T. But every time I remove the card and put it in my pc, I only have a short riff that I ,somehow, saved on it about a year ago when I first bought it.... I'm sure I'm just missing something simple, but I hate to try it again 'cause I have so much stuff on it and hate to risk losing it all... So ,as you can see, my recording experience is very limited smile smile I'm hoping to pick up a lot of good tips in this thread from you pro's wink I'm going to get off the computer now and go torture myself with a few hours of tedious manual deciphering... It's about time I manned up and confronted this 100 big paged, small printed beast smile -Pix

Editted fer splleng   lol

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Pix the easiest way to transfer your recordings is to download the free program Audacity get a y chord with two rca jacks on one end and a 1/8"stereo jack on the other download my tutorials they will show you how to hookup your recorder to your PC and once you have the audacity program they will show you how to get your music into your PC and make mp3's to upload to where ever you want the link is at the bottom of this post I recommend downloading all 4 wmv formated videos and any questions give a holler smile

Pix this is the chord you will need to hook your recorder to your computer and access audacity
http://ep.yimg.com/ip/I/yhst-40594459138532_2049_20109842

Hi all
He’s the recording lowdown on “Tree of a Thousand Stars"  an instrumental I recently put on the song writing forum..
The song has 6 tracks.
Track 1 A stock looped pad at 90BPM which sets the rhythm in this case fairly slow.
Track 2 A keyboard synth melody line played over the pad.
Track 3 A virtual instrument in this case full strings done entirely in the computer using a midi editor
Track 4 this again was a keyboard synth melody line which ran part of the time with the first.
Track 5 this is just a stock looped beat at 90BPM
Track 6 Another virtual instrument an oboe sound this time done the same way as the 3rd track.

Tracks were mixed in the computer in a software apps called Magix Music Maker where FX was applied levels adjusted and everything basically tweaked to suit.
Then I save to the hard drive as an MP3 at 256kbps

The Keyboard is connected to the computer via an interface which is an old four track Tascam.
I use this same interface to record guitar and vocals directly to the computer if needed.
It’s sounds a lot more complicated written down then it really is…..:)
ark

Ark do you use a usb cable or a Y cord like the one above I liked the oboe effect in that song, its interesting how many different approaches we will get to this topic smile

Russ The Tascam is the old cassette type so it connects to the computer using a Y connector as shown in your picture.
All the virtual instruments come with the Magix software and are fairly realistic ..
It will be interesting to see how different people record they songs.
Hope members will take the time to let us in on their methods smile
ark

hi pix,

is your flash drive/memory stick full or very small?

you might stick it into your computer, go to my computer, go to removable drive D or F whatever it comes up as, right click on the icon go to FORMAT, this will clear everything off the flash/memory stick, which will allow you to add your new recording. make sure you save whatever is on there worth keeping.
you'll need to Format each time you transfer from recorder to computer to ensure you have space on your memory stick.

just a thought, as you have a digital recorder, dont you have a click track facility? you can use that without it actually recording it, then add your percussion later.

hope this helps

phill

12 (edited by Phill Williams 2009-05-12 20:38:17)

hi ark, russ, pix

i'm in the process of recording a song at the moment a song called "all about you" this is what i've done so far:-

i started off recording directly into my computer program via midi lead from my korg K61P keyboard.

i firstly write a drum beat onto 5 bars, then copy and paste to make sure i have at least 5 minutes recording time. drum beat is; bass drum, snare and high hat, on track 10.

track 1.  [all tracks are made with a key board] bass guitar
track 2.  electric piano
track 3.  rock organ.

i then went back into the drum track to add rolls, spaces symbols etc to suit the song.

once that's done, i went to the mixer section to mix down

then down load to my korg D8 onto track 7/8 through my alesis multimix 8USB mixer, via a yamaha MU50 and MU5.

that's as far as i've got so far, next will be the lead vocal, on track 6, then acoustic guitar, on track 1, i think i'll put a slide with distortion on track 2, then a lead guitar on track 3.
after that it's harmonies/backing voices, mix down then transfer to my tascam MD350 mini disc player, [which i store new songs for transfer to CD] down load to MP3 and finally onto the computer and up-load to myspace. not a bit confusing ... is it?

phill

Not at all lol as long as you understand it that's all that counts,I really like my new 4 channel mixer it lets me play the acoustic and put the vocal at the same time on 2 tracks I first used it on "the truth" and again on "Invisible star" its really a simple way to achieve a good recording smile

Wasn't sure if I should start a new topic for this or just ask it here! but since it deals with recording your own songs, I thought this the appropriate place for it. When recording, should you turn down your bass and treble settings on on your monitors and on your guitar,and use equalization later when you go to mix! Or does it matter?

A musician is someone with too much time on their hands! Thank god I'm a musician!!!

getfiddle dont use your monitors when recording use headphones turn the monitors off,mix the sound on the guitar thru the headphones and your recorder if it has a equalizer if not just get a good sound from your guitar and after its recorded then use the equalizer function on your recording program (audacity?) and during playback after recording if it sounds good in your headset it will sound good in your monitors smile

getfiddle wrote:

Wasn't sure if I should start a new topic for this or just ask it here! but since it deals with recording your own songs, I thought this the appropriate place for it. When recording, should you turn down your bass and treble settings on on your monitors and on your guitar,and use equalization later when you go to mix! Or does it matter?

Thanks Russell, Yes I'll be useing Audacity.

A musician is someone with too much time on their hands! Thank god I'm a musician!!!

As a newbie to this board and forum, I thought I'd share my recording method - so you can all have a good laugh at it's byzantine approach, probably !     I have a zoom 16-track digital recorder - my first job is usually to lay down the drum track.  I don't like the pre-set rhythms so I usually play 'live' drums on the pads that are on the zoom - since I'm a  better drummer than I am a guitarist I find this a great part of the process.  I then layer bass, guitars and vocals on, of course.  I re-master on the zoom to the master track, but then dub that off to my pc where I have cooledit installed so I can top and tail the track and store various versions with various dynamics processing applied.

Stronger than the sun....harder than a gun

Welcome to Chordie I visited your website and listened to a few songs and found them quite nice and well recorded its interesting that you lay the drum tracks first I would think just a basic click track to keep meter and after the guitar then add the drums and bass but it seems to work well for you so that's all that matters very nice recordings and dont be a stranger here and thanks for your input smile

Coffeefairy47 wrote:

As a newbie to this board and forum, I thought I'd share my recording method - so you can all have a good laugh at it's byzantine approach, probably !     I have a zoom 16-track digital recorder - my first job is usually to lay down the drum track.  I don't like the pre-set rhythms so I usually play 'live' drums on the pads that are on the zoom - since I'm a  better drummer than I am a guitarist I find this a great part of the process.  I then layer bass, guitars and vocals on, of course.  I re-master on the zoom to the master track, but then dub that off to my pc where I have cooledit installed so I can top and tail the track and store various versions with various dynamics processing applied.

Much obliged, Sir.

This site is very useful, informative and friendly so I shall be inputting as often as I can.

David

Stronger than the sun....harder than a gun

Welcome to chordie Coffeefairy47. Glad to have you here.

Hey Guys, Thanks for all the advice! Russell, I went ahead and ordered the usb cable that hooks mine to the pc... That should solve my problem smile

Phill, the card I have is a 1 GB card so it has plenty of room. I think I was just just missing something when trying to save to it.

I've got Propellerhead7 studio software and a few diffrent versions of cubebase as well. with the new usb2 hookup I should be set to go, as soon as it arrives smile -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

cool pix let us hear some results when you have them it sounds like you have some nice software to get the job done so give us a link on myspace or wherever smile

Guitarpix wrote:

Hey Guys, Thanks for all the advice! Russell, I went ahead and ordered the usb cable that hooks mine to the pc... That should solve my problem smile

Phill, the card I have is a 1 GB card so it has plenty of room. I think I was just just missing something when trying to save to it.

I've got Propellerhead7 studio software and a few diffrent versions of cubebase as well. with the new usb2 hookup I should be set to go, as soon as it arrives smile -Pix