Topic: Another recording question

I'm in the process of recording some songs and would like to get some opinions. when recording, should you record without effects and add them when you go to mix? Or should you add at the time of recording? I'm thinking I should record raw and then add later. And does that apply to vocals also? I know everybody has there own way of doing things and there's really good advice on here, that's why I'm asking you guy's.

A musician is someone with too much time on their hands! Thank god I'm a musician!!!

Re: Another recording question

That depends on several factors in some cases useing effects at the beginning of the recording enhances and sets the tone for the whole recording a case in point,and old song "be bop a Lula"by Gene Vincent used reverb and delay in the recording and when they performed live also Les Paul made extensive use of "echo" effects in his early recordings and had many big hits as he practically or did invent the process.There are also some songs that use a vocal effect like Peter Frampton in hes early years,I think a little reverb or delay at the start dont hurt because they can always be mixed out or down and kind of set the mood for adding additional tracks so its really a personal choice smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Thanks Russell, I'll try those techniques. I've already recorded the acoustic guitar track raw and I think it sounds good as is. I was or am considering using some reverb or something when I record the vocals though and your suggestions help alot. Thanks. I'm going to review your audacity lessons also. I haven't been to your site for awhile, so I'll check there to see if there's anymore lessons to download. Again thanks alot for your help. I'll most likely be asking more questions from time to time till I feel more comfortable with the process of recording.

A musician is someone with too much time on their hands! Thank god I'm a musician!!!

Ask away glad to help and recording is kind of like cooking you dont always need to follow the recipe lol

I've always felt the effects going in (i.e. live) sounded better than the ones added after the recording by your mixing software. I always try to anticipate what effects I want before I record the track(s). I only use the "after the fact" effects when I've "messed up" or changed gears. Usually I'll go so far as to replay with updated effects unless it was a track I don't feel I can duplicate. I'm not sure how everyone else feels but when it comes to lead guitar, I can play into the same track 10 times and get 10 different results!!!! I guess that's just all part of being "not that good"!!! Just my 2 cents.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Geo even tho you think the acoustic track sounds good it couldn't hurt to add another useing the same chord posistions and pan them left and right Ive done this a few times to give the recording a fuller sound and sometimes I lay another acoustic track and play the chords in the second posistion give it a shot sometimes and see if you like it, if you have "messed up a track"take the time to redo it you dont get a second chance to make a first impression smile

Russell_Harding wrote:

Geo even tho you think the acoustic track sounds good it couldn't hurt to add another useing the same chord posistions and pan them left and right Ive done this a few times to give the recording a fuller sound and sometimes I lay another acoustic track and play the chords in the second posistion give it a shot sometimes and see if you like it, if you have "messed up a track"take the time to redo it you dont get a second chance to make a first impression smile

I usually cheat and just duplicate the track and then pan them right and left. You see Russell, I'm fairly competent technology wise but a truly awful musician. I try to make the most of what God gave me (that is, some technical aptitude and very little musical sense!!!).
Do you have any issues with duplicating guitar leads? I can never seem to remember what I've done note to note. I've finally taken to staying on a scale or in key (and that was a struggle!) but I just seem to perform things differently every time...so once I get it I leave it alone.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

I do think one of the drawbacks with Audacity apps is actually not being able to hear the FX that's being applied to the track in real time. Also some of effects have to be applied numerically and can be a bit confusing when trying to apply them. so it's really down to trail and error when adding effects this way.

I nearly always apply FX to a effects clean track when recording. Then in a way you start with a clean slate.
ark

I dont duplicate the lead solo I usually add a third above it kind of boston like it can be a really effective add also since I read and write music I can always chart the lead solo but usually I dont have to I guess it comes with experience and my God given gift I can play a phrase usually after hearing it or in some cases just watching a video and dont beat yourself up by branding yourself as a "auful musician" in music nothing is auful just some songs are not as pleasing as others to you smile