Topic: When do you play a barre chord rather than an open chord?

I'm just a little confused!

Obviouly there's the B and F which have to be barred but why would you play for instance a barred C over an open C?

I realise you probably have more control over the sound in that you can end the ringing by simply lifting the first finger, plus they do sound better on an electric when the volume or distortion is turned up.  However on the acoustic they simply don't sound as good as the open version of the same chord?

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

Re: When do you play a barre chord rather than an open chord?

When your fingers are strong enough and you can do them without muffling strings, they sound nearly as good as open chords.

My own guideline is to play a barre chord when the change to or from it is easier than that to or from an open chord.  For instance, when playing a full F-chord, the change to a barred G is just a slide up two frets, rather than rearranging all your fingers; it's much smoother and faster.  Changing from an open E chord to just about anything is faster and smoother using barres.

Look at the chord chart for "Hotel California", and try playing it as open chords, and then do it with all barre chords, and the light will come on.

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

Rarely.  If I'm shuffling between F#m and G, I'll use the barre form of G.  Pretty much that's the only time I'll do it. 

- Big D

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Tough call. When I learned bar chords I used them to make my switches easier (like Zurf's example above) and I still do this to an extent. I base my choices more on how they sound now versus convenience in most cases. There is a suttle difference even between open G and bar G on the 3rd fret; very similar but not the same. I prefer an open G most times. It just rings a littel prettier. bar chords also open up a whole new world of "percussive" strumming so this is also a consideration.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

5 (edited by Detman101 2009-05-14 17:39:28)

I use mostly barre chords for everything I play.
I really only use open chords when I absolutely HAVE-TO or if I'm playing "If I had a million dollars" (G-C-D-A7 chords close to each other).
Once my hand was strong enough and I had a guitar with a good neck, I started using barre chords and have barely looked back.

I can't play funk, reggae or ska type songs without barre chords. And for rock it just works easier with barre chords.
sometimes I use open chords if I'm playing something really melodic and airy.

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

You play bar chords when the guitar player next to you plays a down low - open strings "C", you play a covered chord to get a different inversion of the same C chord and to hide tuning differences between two guitars.
Some songs have you going for max open strings to get the most natural sustain out or your strings. Country rock rhythm is great with strings ringing through a rolling rhythm.
To play jazz and pop you may seek a softer sound with a covered chords that you can stifle quickly - ending with a "chop". Chop rhythm lets you pound out a more complex rhythm and squeeze out clear and deaden all strings quickly and together.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Tops! Thanks for all the comments, just what I guessed really.  I have to admit, the more I practice them the better they sound although I haven't started on the A string chords yet.

Dont worry, the A-string barre chords are easier than the E-string barre chords.

=]
Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

I think it's swapping between the 2 will be be the problem!

Start slow.
That's how I pulled it off.
In time your speed and accuracy will increase. You have to let your hands get the muscle memory written in stone.
Then your fingers will automatically make the right shapes. All you will have to worry about is making sure your index finger is leading the others to the right spot (IE: the right string)

smile
Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

crevs.1972 wrote:

Obviouly there's the B and F which have to be barred but why would you play for instance a barred C over an open C?

Hey Crevs.1972.

When you have the same chords rotating over and over a good thing is to change the inversion or the order in which the notes that make the chord are fretted and played.

In Queen's "Somebody to Love" I play it with all open chords apart from the "somebody, SOMEBODY, somebody, SOMEBODY," bit which all takes place over a G chord, I play the first G open the second barre on 10th.

It's the same chord but it changes things a little.

Another reason is positioning of main chord group. If I'm playing mainly 7th to 10th fret I'm not going to zoom all the way down to an open C.

Finally the song demands it. In "Sultans of Swing" you play Dmin both barre and open AND play barre C and barre F in two positions each (3rd fret & 1st fret - 8th fret)!!!

It's all good! The more ways you have of doing a thing the more musical tools you have at your disposal AND the easier it is to learn new/different ways. cool

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

Since were on the barre chords, does anyone have a link to a site that clearly shows all barre chords, I think that would be a big help to everyone "including myself" who are still learning barre chords.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Cam - I've got a great chart showing most barre chords (maj, min, 7ths, etc for the whole fret board) in an easy to read format. I don't know where I got it from, but I'll scan it and email it to you when I get home this weekend. If possible, I'll post it here for everyone to print.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Hi Topdown,

It would be great if you get get a copy on here, I now the min chords but haven't got a clue with the 7ths. 

Cheers
Crevs

crevs.1972, minor and "7" barre chords are very simple with the "E chord" formation. Make a E-shape barre chord on the 1st fret, this is a barre "F" chord. Now, while holding your fingers in position lift your middle finger up off of the string. This barre "F" chord is now a minor chord. For a "7" chord. same principle, hold all fingers in position for a barre "F" chord, then simply raise your pinky up off the string - you are now making a F7 chord. This holds true with all e-shaped barre chord formations across the neck.

nela

Just to backtrack a bit, I painstakingly learnt barre chords because if you are writing your own music ( or playing anyone else's I guess)  you cannot survive on just the open chords.  I try to use them all the time - and when playing with someone else in a duo format, it's cool to have one guy playing the natural chord and me play the barre.  It really does open up a whole new world and well worth the effort

Stronger than the sun....harder than a gun

NELA wrote:

crevs.1972, minor and "7" barre chords are very simple with the "E chord" formation. Make a E-shape barre chord on the 1st fret, this is a barre "F" chord. Now, while holding your fingers in position lift your middle finger up off of the string. This barre "F" chord is now a minor chord. For a "7" chord. same principle, hold all fingers in position for a barre "F" chord, then simply raise your pinky up off the string - you are now making a F7 chord. This holds true with all e-shaped barre chord formations across the neck.

nela

Cheers, I knew the minor one but not the 7.

KajiMa wrote:
crevs.1972 wrote:

Hey Crevs.1972.

When you have the same chords rotating over and over a good thing is to change the inversion or the order in which the notes that make the chord are fretted and played.

In Queen's "Somebody to Love" I play it with all open chords apart from the "somebody, SOMEBODY, somebody, SOMEBODY," bit which all takes place over a G chord, I play the first G open the second barre on 10th.

It's the same chord but it changes things a little.

Another reason is positioning of main chord group. If I'm playing mainly 7th to 10th fret I'm not going to zoom all the way down to an open C.

Finally the song demands it. In "Sultans of Swing" you play Dmin both barre and open AND play barre C and barre F in two positions each (3rd fret & 1st fret - 8th fret)!!!

It's all good! The more ways you have of doing a thing the more musical tools you have at your disposal AND the easier it is to learn new/different ways. cool

Let me get this right - there are frets above the seventh on acoustic guitars?  Who knew?

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

topdown wrote:

Cam - I've got a great chart showing most barre chords (maj, min, 7ths, etc for the whole fret board) in an easy to read format. I don't know where I got it from, but I'll scan it and email it to you when I get home this weekend. If possible, I'll post it here for everyone to print.

Hello Topdown,

Do you think I could get a copy of that too please?

Thanks,
Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Thanks Topdown, You are a great guy, looks as if others are interested as well!

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

OK here's the chart as promised:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2185/3533871703_e37b035128.jpg

Pretty easy to read. Example: E shaped barre is an F with the barre on the first fret (duh). It's a G on the 3rd, A on the 5th, etc. The same pattern continues for all derivatives.

You should be able to print by clicking the chart itself or following the link to flickr where it is hosted. If not, shoot me an email and I will be happy to email a copy directly.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Brilliant, Cheers

I think this is a great question and the number of replies with different opinions seems to prove that. Here's my two cents worth...
My answer is that there is no absolute answer. By that I mean there are so many variables to consider. For instance, are you only interested in playing on the couch at home or around a campfire with a few friends and some cold "pop"? If so you may not really need to work too hard on learning the barre chords and will be fine just playing open whenever possible (keeping in mind that some barre chords are "must haves" in your tool kit - such as Bm). But if you want your horizon to never really be in sight, you want to be able to keep expanding and really play at a high level you'll need the barre chords for various reasons. For instance, you will significantly grow your library of tunes you can play if you have barre chord abilities. Someone here mentioned "Sultans of Swing". That's a great example because it can be played with open or barred chords but most people agree the barre version is much better. Mark Knopfler once said he keeps things as simple as possible (of course everything is relative - simple for him is complex for most mortals). But his point is well taken - don't overly complicate a tune if you don't have to, but at the same time make sure you do enough justice to it. If it "should" be played barred, then its probably worth learning that way. Otherwise you end up with a simplified or "dumbed down" version.
At least that's how I look at it. Cheers!

I've spent another few hours this morning practising and one thing I've noticed is that you can give the barre versions more "wwmmph"..if you know what I mean?

The sound also goes a bit "tinny" the further up I go on the acoustic but it's fine on the electic so I guess thats down to me and the acoustic not being as forgiving as the strat?

crevs.1972 wrote:

I've spent another few hours this morning practising and one thing I've noticed is that you can give the barre versions more "wwmmph"..if you know what I mean?

The sound also goes a bit "tinny" the further up I go on the acoustic but it's fine on the electic so I guess thats down to me and the acoustic not being as forgiving as the strat?

You're right that you can give the barre chords more "wwmmph". Of course, they also return to you more wwmmph because now you are utilizing six strings instead of say just four (compare the sound of F barred vs. F played open for example). So you can easily see then why the barre chords are going to have a place in your kit bag of techniques.
As for the Strat vs. acoustic there are a couple of things. First, yes, generally speaking the electric is going to be much easier to barre than the acoustic. But particularly with the acoustic it is important that it is set up properly - that your action is where it should be. Also using lighter strings can be quite helpful on the acoustic when you're practicing the barre chords. Some buddies have recommended Elixor strings to me and I haven't tried them on my own guitars yet, although I did try them on my buddy's Taylor and found them to be very smooth feeling which is good for a guy like me who doesn't play as much as I used to since I no longer perform (decided I needed a job to be able to eat and buy beers - lol). I suspect they might be a good choice for learning the barre chords as well.