Topic: Old Strings....

Hi all
Just changed out the strings on my acoustic and just binned the old ones. I just wondered what other Chordians did with their old strings. They are vicious little criters and I always seem to stick myself with them somehow..
I would like to recycle them in some way but the so far haven't found any use for them.
any suggestions....:)
ark

Re: Old Strings....

If you find out I'd like to know got piles of them in the workshop....come in handy one day!!
                     Only ever used one to clean the carb jet on the mower

Ark I usually save a couple sets of old strings in case I break a new one,when I change strings I take them off one at a time and rewind the old string and put it in the little paper bag the new one came in that way I know where to find it in case a new one snaps I recycle the rest we have a setup here for collection 3 containers one for garbage,commingles(plastic,glass,metal) and one for press board(cardboard) the old ones have come in handy when I've been to forgetful to buy an extra set smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I read an article in one of the many music books I have that said ole time musicans would remove their strings, boil them and then put them back on their instruments.

Nela

when i change my strings I put the old ones in the pack that the news ones came out of. I think I might have about 10 packs lying around here.

Never thought of using them all again so a few ideas.

use them somehow in my garden strimmer or attach them to where the blade are on my flymo

could be used as snares for rabbits, but I dont like to kill them anymore but still the option is there.

I could boil them and see how shiny they turn out but not to put back on.

I could give them away to someone that cannot afford the few quid for new strings.

I could tie them all together and make a big trip wire and secure my garden. No one ever comes in it but ye never know!

I could keep saving the packs until I have a few tons and sell them as scrap metal.
hmmmm, no that really is a silly idea

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

I just had to search this topic.  Here are some uses for jewelry.
http://www.strings-andadare.com/

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I generally use Elixirs.. When they start getting rust on the plain strings, I sand them lightly with a very fine 3m foam sanding pad. This removes any burrs and makes them feel & look like new. I then remove them and pass them down to my kids for their acoustics. Then when I change again I keep the old ones from my kids guitars and use them on the job. They work great as cutting tools! Say you have a mirror thats glued to a wall and needs to be removed. You can slowly pry it off and then have to repair sheetrock, or you can work an old guitar string behind it and cut the adhesive and pull it off nice and clean like. They also work really well when trying to seperate/remove old wood laminates from each other. Get the string started between the wood layers at a corner and slowly work them back and forth to seperate the pieces.. -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Very innovative use for "retired" strings making jewelry I dont think I would have the patience to craft these but I really like the designs smile

bensonp wrote:

I just had to search this topic.  Here are some uses for jewelry.
http://www.strings-andadare.com/

Have used them to make weedguards for fishing hooks. Cut a piece of 3rd/4th string (depending on size/gauge of hook) & whip/glue one end just below the eye of the hook. Then bend it to the right sort of shape & cut to the right length. I use one of these to replace the treble that you usually get on a lure - helps to keep weed off the hook & avoid snags.

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Here's another option

The Second Strings Project- "a campaign to collect and distribute used guitar strings to needy musicians throughout the world."

http://secondstringsproject.org/

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

top thats a good cause and gives me another reason to save my strings thanks for posting smile