Topic: Splitting Tracks

Not sure if this belongs here, but here go's! I have some albums on my computer that are one long mp3, in other words, the albums play as one long song or all the way through without stopping. What I want to know is: Can I split the songs into separate mp3's using Audacity? And if so, How do I go about doing that? Sorry, two question's actually! Thanks in advance.

A musician is someone with too much time on their hands! Thank god I'm a musician!!!

Re: Splitting Tracks

yes getfiddle you can split the tracks just load the mp3 and trim each track by cutting the end and exporting the mp3 and after theres a redo on the upper right of the audacity screen it restores it back to the original just highlight the first song and cut it and the second song will jump to the front but you may have to use the track shift tool on the upper left to move the track so theres a little room in front (about 2 seconds) and keep repeating the process till all the songs have been rendered to mp3's one of my tutorials deals with track shifting and I think Arkady mentioned a shortcut but it was in a thread and I cant recall where or which one smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Thank you Russell. Your a big help and a invaluable source of information on here. I'm pretty sure I have that tuturial in a file and I will seek it out and watch it. Again, thanks a million!!

A musician is someone with too much time on their hands! Thank god I'm a musician!!!

Russ/getfiddle
Your solution Russ is fine not saying this better just different   smile

What I usually do is use Audacity as a recorder. As any sound played by your computer can be
recorded in Audacity.
1 On the drop down box it usually say "mircophone" set it to "Stereo mix"
2 Open the Mp3 you want to record but don't start it playing.
3 Set Audacity to start recording
4 Start the MP3 playing Audacity will record the MP3. Monitor the song and stop the MP3 when you got what you need of the track.  Then stop Audacity recording.
5 Trim off the silence at the start and end of the recording and then save as a MP3
Like most things it's easy than it sounds..
ark

Ark yours sounds a little easier for getfiddle to do just record the first song till it stops and follow the steps you mentioned to process it as a single mp3 smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Keep in mind that it will record mouse clicks also and if you are trying to use the computer while recording and it stutters,the recording will also have the stutter in it. When I start recording I just let the puter sit till its done.

Thanks guys. I will try that.