Topic: Vanishing picks...Where do they go??

Anybody else always having to buy picks? I have a few little wooden (treasure chests) boxes around the studio room. I buy picks by the 72 pack and keep 3 different kinds to fit different styles of play. Just picked up the guitar and went for a pick and can't find one anywhere!! Statistically speaking I shouldn't be angle deep in them smile Seriously, I bet over the past year I've bought over  400 picks!! My house is kinda jam central, so I have a crowd over a couple nights a week at least, so I expect a few to wonder off but man this is getting ridiculous! Anyone else always having to search for a pick? Where do they go?? It's a mystery to me! Even the box of personal picks I keep in the bedroom is empty... Maybe the wife is giving me a sign lol

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Re: Vanishing picks...Where do they go??

Maybe they're in the same place that lost sock ends up, or where you lost your keys, or maybe where you can't find your wallet! I've found in life that it's always in the last place you look, funny how that happens, if we could just look there first!

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Hey Pix,

I bet your wife is hiding them.My wife just gave me heck again,she just unlodged about a dozen from the clothes dryer.She always seems to have a good supply of them in the laundry room.

Later, Wayne P

I think there's a pick fairy who snags them when your sleeping I lose them and buy new ones and all of a sudden they all turn up right where I left them (cue music to outer limits) a pulsating tone from a theramin lol

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I've had one dunlop light for so long that the paint on the front is all worn off and the tip is completely flat... because I hate going to buy picks. I get used to one ya know?

All You Need is Love smile

last_rebel wrote:

I've had one dunlop light for so long that the paint on the front is all worn off and the tip is completely flat... because I hate going to buy picks. I get used to one ya know?

Hey Rebel, Haven't seen you around that much lately... Did you get a new guit? (your avatar)

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.

No not yet, Ive got my eye on one at the Guitar and Banjo studio but I'm trying to wait till I have enough for an amp too because otherwise it would be pretty pointless. Its an epi dot archtop, but the higher end one gold hardware and humbuckers and a rosewood fretboard which I like...the one in the pic is a remake of the Byrdland, because its my dream ax lol.
I haven't been on as much because of school, getting close to graduation and everything's getting pretty busy but I still pop in and see whats going on now and then.

All You Need is Love smile

On losing things mysteriously, here's an odd story.  A friend of mine was a Navy nuclear engine chief for a vessel that was going into drydock for a refit.  Rather than reassign him and make him move his wife, he volunteered to stay with the ship and help strip her down.  He said that after everything was offloaded, all the furniture, carpet, and comforts of any kind were gone and the whole ship was swept out, they started removing bulkheads.  The first place he was assigned was the recreation room.  As they started to remove bulkheads that were bolted or riveted into place, they found 72 ping pong balls.  Now, can anyone explain how a ping-pong ball got behind a screwed on bulkhead?  They understood when they found contraband, because someone went through the effort to hide it, but ping pong balls? 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Hey Zurf ,
   Maybe the builders , ( not having a lot of confidence in their work ) , thought that maybe those ping pong balls would keep her afloat in an emergency , L O L .... Just a thought , L O L ......
                   Jerry

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

Hey pix I think you might have some sorta pick portal in your house, and somehow they travel through the pick portal and end up at my house. I never have a problem finding picks. Even if I don't need one at the moment I'll find one. Actually I have two stepdaughters 22, and 16, both with guitar playing boyfriends. Sometimes they jam out here and leave their picks here. Which is great for me, since now I have a little ziploc bag with a variety of picks and don't need to spend money on picks. I now have picks varying from aliens to pot leafs to the dark prince of hell, even glow in the dark picks.

Forgive your enemies, but always remember their names!

Oh jeez I lose a ton of picks and I have no idea where they go...then one day they literally just appear on my bedroom floor or something.

"Policeman shouts but I don't see him/ They're one thing I don't believe in"
-Tomorrow, 'My White Bicycle'

Hey Pix I'll tell you where they go SAME PLACE AS THE BLOODY PENCILS FROM MY WORKSHOP lol

I buy boxes of them and when you need one ....Gone!!!

The only way i keep pics is i hide them where only i know where they are and buy crappy pics to leave lying around for everyone else to use that may come by to jam.

I could have one in my hand and not find it!!!

A musician is someone with too much time on their hands! Thank god I'm a musician!!!

If I sit down with the guitar and can't find a pick, I just take it as a sign that it's time for some fingerstyle practice wink

I did a pick round up shortly after posting this thread... Most have been recovered:) We have a gazebo on the back deck with a couch and a few chairs under it... I/we play there a lot and upon searching under the cushions, I recovered over 3 dozen picks smile The laundry room also turned up quite a few..

In my shop class When you walk in with a pencil..It never comes out

It just disappears like my picks!...except they never reappear.

"Policeman shouts but I don't see him/ They're one thing I don't believe in"
-Tomorrow, 'My White Bicycle'

Guitarpix wrote:

If I sit down with the guitar and can't find a pick, I just take it as a sign that it's time for some fingerstyle practice wink

I did a pick round up shortly after posting this thread... Most have been recovered:) We have a gazebo on the back deck with a couch and a few chairs under it... I/we play there a lot and upon searching under the cushions, I recovered over 3 dozen picks smile The laundry room also turned up quite a few..

one of the reasons I learned to fingerpick was because I couldnt find any picks one day. That and John Prine.

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

I'm sure if I could pick up my clothes washer or dryer, turn them upside down and shake the snot out of them like I do my guitar I find a whole &*#% load. They might be a bit warped but at least I could sleep at night with out wondering. lol

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

The insides of my sofa must be 50% foam and 50% guitar picks by now...........pain in the posterior!

All I got, is a red guitar, three chords and the truth

Over last weekend I was out back having a cold one ,watching the fire and picking a little. I decided the fire needed more wood. Set my guitar down with the neck leaned nicely against the bench. Tend the fire and sit back down???  NO PICK!!! I looked all over the bench? GONE. So, I go in the house, get a fresh one. and another pick while I'm there. Sit back down on the bench , pick up the the guitar and as the shadow from the guitar neck leaves the bench, yup right where I put it, next to a fresh one.  Which only goes to prove, when you can't find your pick---- Get another beer big_smile

Ron

aabb wrote:

When you can't find your pick---- Get another beer big_smile

This will become an ancient and wise quote!!!

Forgive your enemies, but always remember their names!

the question : wheere do they go?

the answer: they dont go anywhere.

the reason: you only think they have vanished. Just because you cant see them doesnt mean they have vanished, they are just in hiding

lol lol

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

23 (edited by Roger Guppy 2009-05-29 17:08:18)

I started using bright orange ones 3 months ago and so far I have loaned several to students who have forgotten to return them but I have not lost any.

Roger

P.S. My guitars have a small plastic pick holder attached to them to so that a spare pick is always at hand enen if I drop one mid song.

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

The gremlins eat them... try as hard as you can to hold onto them but the gremlins will find them.

Electric:  Schecter C-1, Hot-rodded strat
Acoustic: Ovation Celebrity Deluxe, Epiphone

Keep on rockin' in the free world!