Topic: New? Guitar

Hello all,

I am hoping to get a new guitar (acoustic elec) toward the end of the year. Few ?'s though.

New or used? Aren't used guitars "seasoned", sound better and play easier? Im leaning toward used because of cost. I can only afford $250 max. Even used guitars are frickin expensive.

How do I narrow down my choices? Obviously my price cuts down my choices alot. But what makes a Fender diferent from a Martin or Ibanez? I'm playing an Ibanez acoustic now.

Where to buy?

I want to do my research now so I can just make a purchse when I'm ready.

Last thing, how in the world do u guys have 3,4,8 or more guitars. I'm sure lots have picked them up over the years, but still. Looking at prices on some of these things, I would have to take out a loan for the high enders.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: New? Guitar

Zguitar check out these on Chordie from some of the members smile
http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=12078

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I suggest you look into getting an acoustic pickup and preamp which can be afforded at the same price you're looking to spend. Then save up for a better guitar that you would much rather have. Good Luck with your decision either way.

Last question first:  at a certain point in your life, you might wind up with more disposable income than you have now.  Some people spend money on cars or trucks, others on boats or tools... my hobby is guitars.  I have five that I play regularly, three of them are worth upwards of $1000 each.

Plus, as you shop around, you're going to find out that there is a world of difference between a $200 "starter pack" guitar, and a $600 instrument; better materials and better craftsmanship translate to easier to play and far better sound.  I've said it many times on this forum and others, and not everyone agrees with me, but take your time, and buy the best instrument that you can afford.  If you can afford $250, that's fine-- just use it wisely.  Decide what kind of music you want to play, what type of instrument fits that musical style, and then go out there and comparison shop.  Hit every music shop you can reach, and play every instrument you can get your hands on.  Haunt eBay and Craigslist, visit pawnshops.

What separates the various manufacturer's instruments from one another (outside of pricing) are sound and feel.  Body size, shape and style, neck shape, fretboard raduis, size of frets, quality of workmanship, look...  Once you get your hands on a few axes, you'll start to notice what's important to you in terms of feel.  I happen to like hollowbody electrics for sound, with a slim D-profile neck, 12" radius fretboard and jumbo frets (which all points to Gretsch).  In acoustics, I still like the neck profile, solid wood body with an "auditorium" shape over "dreadnought" and a strong low-end response (which pretty much all says Taylor).  You will have to touch and play them to find out what speaks to you.

Where to buy?  Wherever you find that special instrument.  You will find it, and you WILL know it when you do.

In this economy, you may well find a good bargain in a used guitar; be sure to try it first.  You can afford to be picky; waiting a little longer for the right instrument to come along simply means that you can save up more scratch to buy it when it does.  Though when you speak of "seasoning" in an instrument, that is usually reserved for the so-called "vintage" market, which is going to be light years out of your price range.  Don't get discouraged, and don't let some pushy salesperson sell you an instrument that your hands and ears don't think is right.

Oh yeah, welcome to Chordie!

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

zguitar,
I have owned nothing but "seasoned' guitars since the 60's with one exception - a black Gibson 335 factory new with a bad neck.
A "hock" shop" or pawn shop, here in the U.S.A. is the best place to find a quality used guitar cheap. In the U.K. they have a different term for a place where you leave an item of value to secure a small cash loan.
It is usually true that:
Pawn shop owners may not be up to speed on guitar brands or playability.
Most hocked guitars have old, tired strings on them. If you see a real bargain possibility, restring it then and there.
If you need advice, drag an experienced guitarist you trust along with you and have him or her bring a tuner.
If the sun is shining on your back door and the moon is right, and you have spread a lot of good karma, lately, you may find a steal of a deal on a fine old guitar.
I bought a beat-up looking 1960 Gibson 330 in 1968 for $200 in a Mobile, Alabama pawn shop. Mucho playing had it sounding like a dream. I beat on it 6 nights a week for 20 years and I still strum it very hard. Did a little fret work. It doesn't look any worse and it plays and sounds great. I am told it's present value could be $2,000  to $12,000. Doesn't matter, my grandson is gonna get it.
My best friend dragged me into a pawn shop and we bought him a mid-70's Yamaha dreadnought - big body acoustic in 1985 for $185. He died and left it to me. What a big, nice sound it has. It was worth $300 back then and, probably, $300 today but with the price of a pro setting it up it is still the best playing, sweetest sounding flat top I have ever played and it still looks almost new.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

I used to be able to get good deals at Pawn Shops . . . but not anymore.  Everyone has the internet or a pricing book, and It seems to my thay the pawn shops way overprice the guitars they have nowadays.

I think that the best deals are on "Craigslist".  And the individuals selling are much more likely to bargain with you than the pawn shop . . .

7 (edited by cytania 2009-06-18 11:41:26)

Thing with used guitars is finding them. Shops often accept the good ones as part-exchange but they go fast. Knowledgeable musos snap up the bargains. I noticed a 70s Japanese Gibson copy ('Loveson' if you can believe it) that played real nice in a local shop, put I left a few weeks and it's gone now :-(

With new guitars key thing is a solid wood top. These will quickly mature with playing in a way that laminated tops won't. Unfortunately shops don't label this. Ask the salesman which models are solid tops and you'll find the choice narrows right down.

The difference between Fender, Martin and Ibanez. Well Martins tend to be top quality, top dollar, nothing really affordable in their range. Fender make fine electric guitars but their acoustics are pretty sterile, people buy them because of the familiar neck or the 'cool' headstock. To me Fender acoustics are a case of a big brand name hoping punters won't notice it's dull offerings. Ibanez are great value, they tend to be very clean and tidy finishes with a decent sound. Once you know their soundstyle you'll find all their range has the same 'genes'.

You asked about multiple guitars. Well the simple fact is there's alot of people out there with lots of spare cash who are collectors more than players. Do a google search on GAS, Guitar Acquisition Syndrome and you'll find people can't help themselves.

If you begin to play live you'll discover the reason for a second intrument. Things happen. Strings break, idiots knock your guitar over, spill drinks etc. Once you really get attached to a particular model having a spare is reassuring, particularly if you make your living from it or have a band depending on you (I have two electric basses, the strings can break with no warning and then you only have 3 left to play). Stringing up whilst the audience waits is not fun. In fact it got Eric Clapton his nickname 'Slowhand'.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

Hey people!

I'm thinking about bying an electric guitar, so what would you recommend me for about 200 $?

Fender or Gibson?

We accidentally replaced your heart with a baked potato. You have three seconds to live.

Hi All!!

I'm gonna revive this thread and add to it.

I've only bought one guitar so I need some advice.

I'm looking for an acoustic elec. My local music shops are too expensive. That leaves me with 2 big chain stores that I know of and the internet. So, I'm planning to go to these 2 big stores and play lots of diff guitars. But how does it work when I'm ready to purchase?

A brand new guitar out of the box can sound and play diff than the one in the store that has been banged on by 50 people. Do they give me the used one in the store?

If a store orders it, it gets shipped to them. If I order it online, it gets shipped to me. So it's gonna get shipped one way or the other. I read a post somewhere about shipping turning out to be bad for a guitar.

I've seen quite a few guitars online that I would like to try out. If I can't find them in a store somewhere how do I get my hands on one?

I'm kinda leaning toward an online purchase after try outs. Has anyone had a bad experience with this?

Price is the #1 factor in choosing my next guitar. I just can't bring myself to (or afford) paying $300+ for a guitar. My wife won't let me either. I want something decent, but I'm not looking for the best. Right now I'm playing a $199 Ibanez that I bought 8 years ago. One of those acoustic starter packs off the shelf.

Anyway, lay your advice on me.

Keep rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Zguitar it will be hard to find any brand of a/e guitar for less than $300 that will very good. I have an idea that you might come out just as good to buy a good set of tuning heads and a acoustic pickup for your old ibanez. A good set up with a little upgrading bridge pins, nut/saddle replacement can be a lot cheaper than buying another guitar and could prove to be better than any new a/e guitar that you could afford. Last year I wanted a new a/e with the solid top and bought one and spent $500 for a Takamine that now just sits in it's case most of the time unless I feel the need to plug in. I have a Jasmine S-35 Takamine i paid $100 for 10 yrs ago that i'm loving even better now that i did a little upgrading to. It has aged beautifully and I like it better than any guitar from any brand that i've tried that is priced less than $ 1200. But to suggest looking for any new guitar in the range of $300 or less i can only suggest the Fender Telecoustic if you want a thin bodied guitar that exels plugged in or the TBucket 300 for a Dreadnought size. I've tried both and even though niether of the two has a solid top they sound just as good. I wish you the best on your search because i've been there in the same situation. Oh and remember that an acoustic electric guitar will only sound as good as the acoustic amp you get for it when it's plugged in. Good Luck.

If I was shopping for a good acoustic electric for under 3 bills, I'd be all over this http://cgi.ebay.com/NORMAN-ACOUSTIC-ELE … 27acd6bfc2  Same company ,and basically the same guitars, as Seagull, Simon & Patrick, Art & lutherie, etc... Solid top, North American made, Fishman electronics...  I've played several of their comparable models and all have sounded and played wonderfully.

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Thanks for the advice gents.

Dfos,  I don't want to upgrade my cheapy that I have. Sure it works for me now, but it's a piece. I'm sure i can find something that plays nicer. The amp is a whole nother thing.

Pix, if you say it's good then I know it's good. But I still need to touch it. Never heard the name before. According to the website, I have no dealers in my area for Norman.

The search continues...........

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi z...

with "cheap" guitars you basically have two options in my experience: If you want to buy online, you have to buy so cheap that it doesn't matter if it is bad (that goes for buying stuff of individuals) or you have to be prepared to send a lot of guitars back (that goes for buying from companies).

If you buy from a local store. make sure you get the guitar you tried there. If they insist that "oh, that one is just the display, we can't sell that one..." make them get the one they will sell you and try that one. If they are not willing to do this: make a fuzz, say really loud that they are a rippoff and morons and be prepared to never shop there again.

acoustic electric... do you mean an acoustic guitar with a pickup (Ovation style more or less) or an electric guitar with a semi-hollow body? With the later I have no clue at all, sorry...

Acoustics with pickups however I did try a few (though I currently don't own one). Personally I don't like the "Ovation back": Turtle-shaped plastic somehow does not sound like I want it on my guitar. But they can sound really good...
The best experience so far (other than my trusted Sigma with the clip in Martin Pickup) are the ones by Stagg. Here in Germany you get them for around $200 and they are a lot of fun. However: as with most cheaper guitars, I'd expect not every single one to be tiptop and shipshape. So again: try before you buy is propably best.

As to used guitars: The question is always: "Why do/did they sell it" Sometimes the answer is "Because it is crap!".

Anyhow: good hunting!

Cheers,

T.

Lol, my acoustic was so "Seasoned" it had a big old hole kicked into the front of it at the lower bout.
But it plays and sounds the best out of any acoustic that I've ever picked up.

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle