Topic: From knowing nothing to actually playing something

So I'm curious, (and bored since my guitar is off getting the free setup from the store I bought it from) and thought I'd ask. In general from the time you guys first picked up a guitar till the first time you were able to play something that sounded CLOSE to a song, how long ?

I find that while I'm getting the chord shapes pretty fast, strumming them is a bit harder and actually being able to move between them without thinking is going to take time.

So fill me in guys, whats your experience ?

Re: From knowing nothing to actually playing something

ranthalas wrote:

So I'm curious, (and bored since my guitar is off getting the free setup from the store I bought it from) and thought I'd ask. In general from the time you guys first picked up a guitar till the first time you were able to play something that sounded CLOSE to a song, how long ?

?

To me right away, for those listening, quite a bit longer(haha). Seriously though it all depends on how much quality time you put into learning. Keep it simple at first and attempt to play tunes you really like.

Here are a few links that'll speed your learning process;

http://12bar.de/scale_generator.php
http://www.jamcenter.com/index.html
http://www.myguitarsolo.com/
http://vai.com/LittleBlackDots/MLS_index.html
http://www.justinguitar.com/index.php
http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar

Good Luck, Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

ranthalas everyone progresses at a different rate some catch on quickly others struggle at first but with desire and practice results follow,if you just learn chords and strumming you should be able to play moderately well within 6 to seven months depending on how much time you devote to practice and what your practicing if its reading music from start this will take a few years to really be proficient which is why most newbies opt for a quicker method sort of a fast lane to mediocre guitar playing there's really no secret,hard work pays off no matter what you do in life so its up to you smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Hey, ranthalas, I think everyone will have a different answer here. There are a few folk on here like me who gave up and came back to it years later. First time around I was useless and all my friends left me way behind so I really couldn't play anything resembling a song for years. In fact not until second time around which was about 15 years or so later. The big difference this time round has been the internet, and Chordie in particular. I started playing again about 3 to 4 years ago and found that within a few months I was starting to hear my wife singing along to what I was trying to play. So it must've been recognisable. Now, 3 to 4 years in I'm just starting to get comfortable with picking up rhythms and stuff. But there are folk on chordie who are doing it after 3 or 4 months. Check out this guy, he's only been playing 4 months.  http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=12022 . Amazing. I guess it's all down to how much time you put in and how much ability you already have. I guess that's why it's taken me so long lol

Welcome to Chordie. Stick in and have fun. Most of all have fun.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

I figured there'd be different answers, in fact that was kind of what I was looking for. See, I actually picked up the guitar many many years ago when I was about 8 yrs old, dad bought me lessons and I went for a year, then he canceled them. I don't remember a THING I learned in those lessons, but I do know thats where I learned to read music. I know some music theory and know how to read sheet music so, I'm not having to struggle through that. I found that when I sat down with some of the primer books that teach you different melodies I was able to play through their example songs as soon as I knew where the notes were on the guitar.

I guess, I just kinda want to see what other people ran into while learning. I know we're all different but its one of those ways that I learn. If I know where people in general have stumbling blocks I know what to look for myself. If I know how long the different spread is I can generally figure out where I am.

Noone knows your ability to learn as well as you do. For me it helps to find an average of where people are so I can pace myself and know where I should be. Gives me a challenge smile

Mostly I just appreciate hearing other people's stories and advice while I'm learning. Besides that I'm jonesing for my guitar. I've been spending close to an hour a night with it and it feels wrong now that its gone to the shop.

So, thanks guys ! Any tips, advice all appreciated. Love the links, the help and the information. This forum has so far been the BEST learning device and motivational device I have found.

The only bit of advice I will give you is that when you learn something, learn it properly. Take your time and get it right the first time, don't take short cuts.

The reason, it takes a whole lot longer to learn it properly the second time round.

Take it from me, I know.

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."

7 (edited by NELA 2009-06-16 18:54:53)

Everybody progresses differently. Take your time, learn the chords, their progressions, scales and your timing. Everyone has to crawl before they can walk so don't expect too much without learning the basics first. For me I would concentrate on learning the chords and developing some rythem before trying to learn a bunch of songs. Once you learn how to hear the rythem of a song you will begin to develope the strum pattern for the song. Scales are very important but timing and rythem are more important because without that knowledge you will not be able move into any lead patterns.

Learning chords, chord progressions and how to change from chord to chord can be difficult but will get easier as you develope your skills. (If you are right handed) You must learn to strum with your right hand to the rythem (strum pattern of a song) Start with something simple such as (4/4 time) down, up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down ( this is read as 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 1 (repeats). Now your right hand strums and your left hand forms the chords. You must develope your timing for in order to get your right hand and left hand working together. As you strum - 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and 1..... your chord changes will come on the "1". Each 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and will be a "bar".  Make up your own progressions such as G...C...D or D...G...A or A...D...E (with these 3 simple chord progressions you can play thousands of songs). Start with the G chord and play it for 4 bars, change to the C chord and play for 2 bars, change to the D chord and play for 2 bars, change to the G chord and repeat everything. (do the same with each progression) Learning to form the chords with your left hand correctly to achive a good sound will take time but your right hand is just as important as that is where your timing will come from. As you strum NEVER - EVER stop your right hand - ALWAYS keep it in motion. Your left hand will need to be brought into timing with your right hand in order to maintain the tempo of any song. Start slow and your timing will come.

This is kinda off the topic but it is something I wish I had been told when I started. Learn how to form a "G" chord with your middle, ring and pinky fingers instead of your index, middle and ring finger - this makes it much easier to switch to a "C" or "G7" chord. Learn to form a "E" chord with your middle, ring and pinky fingers -  this will make it easier to form E shaped barre chords. Learn to form a "A" chord with only your ring finger as it will help later on in forming an A shaped barre chord.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Nela

Nela, Thanks so much for the advice.

Everyone, thank you for commenting I really feel like everytime I log into these forums I learn something new. Thanks again for the help smile

Now to just get my guitar back..

Good advice Nela,

Where the heck were you when I needed you. I too feel the g fingered with the pinky is the way to go. I learned it that way and now on some songs I switch the other way, but I feel it has more advantages than index, middle, ring. We have argued this one several times in other posts.
    You are right on on the strumming also. I have helped people with strumming and it is good to get them to sound out the Up down Up down  especially when you get in to some d du udu type patterns. Counting 1 & 2 & 3 & 4. Another thing that can move you along in progression is playing with others. You can pick up alot of tips and shortcuts playing with others and most are more than willing to help.

Later, Wayne P

wlbaye wrote:

Good advice Nela,

Where the heck were you when I needed you. I too feel the g fingered with the pinky is the way to go. I learned it that way and now on some songs I switch the other way, but I feel it has more advantages than index, middle, ring. We have argued this one several times in other posts.

Sorry I missed the other post...that is THE way to play an open G. I learned the without the pinky way and had a bear of a time learning THE way

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

I agree, it is the way I prefer to play it  and I think the advantages are "more better", but some folks prefer the other way and I think it has a lot to do with styles and types of music you play. They are both accepted as correct.

Later, Wayne P

Everybody goes a different speed.  For me it was about four months.  Most of that four months was spent in learning how to strum with a pick, learning chords, and learning to transition between chords.  I would practice three chords a night until I learned all the first and second position major chords and a few minor ones.  I would pick a song, write down all the chord transitions, and then practice going from one chord to the next chord, and then I'd practice that transition again, and again, and again about 200 times a night until by the end of the night I would have practiced every transition needed to play the song of choice 200 times.  Then the next night I'd do the same thing.  On Friday, I'd try to play it with a metronome.  I did that for about four months before I got a song that sounded like a song with me singing.  I still don't know how to play melody on the guitar.  I'm like "Guitar George" who is "strictly rhythm, he don't want to make it cry or sing."  Except I do want to make it cry or sing but I just don't know how.  Yet. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I read somewhere that the "typical" talent progression (whatever that is) goes something like this:

Playing one year: you will think you're pretty good, but no one else will.

Playing two years: start getting complements from others.

Playing 5 years:  folks start asking you to bring your guitar over.

Playing 10 years:  if you don't bring your guitar, people will send you home to get it.

I always figured that was based on the "practice one hour a day" schedule; your own innate ability and willingness to practice will cause your mileage to vary.

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

alvee33 wrote:

Hey, ranthalas, I think everyone will have a different answer here. There are a few folk on here like me who gave up and came back to it years later. First time around I was useless and all my friends left me way behind so I really couldn't play anything resembling a song for years. In fact not until second time around which was about 15 years or so later. The big difference this time round has been the internet, and Chordie in particular. I started playing again about 3 to 4 years ago and found that within a few months I was starting to hear my wife singing along to what I was trying to play. So it must've been recognisable. Now, 3 to 4 years in I'm just starting to get comfortable with picking up rhythms and stuff. But there are folk on chordie who are doing it after 3 or 4 months. Check out this guy, he's only been playing 4 months.  http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=12022 . Amazing. I guess it's all down to how much time you put in and how much ability you already have. I guess that's why it's taken me so long lol

Welcome to Chordie. Stick in and have fun. Most of all have fun.

Cheers for the plug Alvee, I have a few more tunes to go on shortly.

Hello Ranthalas, 

I think your question depends on various things like how good do you define as “play† and how much time you spend practicing.  For me I practice everyday having only missed 2 days in nearly 5 months of playing.  I’ve seen me sit on the rug at the weekend and literally play for 5-6 hours straight but I usually can’t rest until I’ve done at least 90 minutes a day.

The biggest advice I can give (not that I’m that qualified to give advice), is to pick songs you really like, know really well and that you have listened to for years, even if its not an “acoustic† song.  Look for the chords on Chordie and then go to Youtube.com and search for your song with “acoustic† after it, I’ll bet there’ll be an acoustic version there you can listen to and use as a guide.

Looking back, the biggest hurdle I had at the very beginning was learning songs I didn’t really know because I was told they were easy.  The problem then is your not only struggling with the chords but the rhythm isn’t coming naturally and your also struggling with the words and melody!  With a song you know intimately the rhythm is far more likely to come naturally, the melody and words are already embedded in your head and it’s only the chords you need to worry about.

The good thing with “non-acoustic† songs is that there is not a right or wrong way to play them, you can interpret and express them as you wish.

Good luck.

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

Rant
6 months before you're entertaining to yourself.
18 months before you're entertaining to someone else....as long as they don't live with you.  If they live with you, they've heard that song 1000 times and wish you'd stop.  ha!

Don't forget to listen!

Learn the chords then go back and play along with the track, the rhythm and changes will come alot easier, and you'll start developing an ear which you're gonna need if you aspire to play with others, or working out the tabs for song on your own.

Also if you're trying to play on an acoustic a tune recorded by a four piece band you may have to extend beyond the transcribed guitar part - playing along with the track helps you to find the groove and maybe a little invention will give you the bigger sound that your looking for.  When using the track as a backing track you'll soon hear what works and what sucks.

hi, i just started playing about 6 weeks ago.  i practice about an hour or two a day and i can already play three songs almost just like they sound...well, four if you count "twinkle twinkle" haha!  yeah, i just think it depends on how much time you put in and how much you're taking on at once.  if you just stick to one or two songs at a time and practice like crazy you should be able to play them within a few weeks!