Topic: Few Questions

My guitar is old...it rattles...anything that can be done?
Not sure what happened as I had moved out of the house but one of the tuning pegs is like...crushed...so I can't move the peg to tune it.

When I make a G chord sometimes my hand tweaks out and it really hurts. My hand hasn't ever had any sort of injury, does that just happen sometimes and will go away with more practice?

How long does it take for good callouses to develop on your fingers?

Guitar: Jay Turser "Statue of Liberty" guitar
I've decided to name it (drum roll please) Liberty.
I'm a noob guitarist but I have the love of a pro.
I want to learn everything I can.

Re: Few Questions

Is the rattle from the strings against the fretboard, or is it buzzing somewhere deep inside the guts of it?  Tuning pegs are about $1.50 each, and if you're halfway handy with a screwdriver, you can probably replace it yourself.

Your hands are going to hurt for a little while as you build strength and dexterity.   It's actually a good thing.  Look at your early practice sessions like a trip to the gym. 

Callouses will develop quickly, if you practice.   It will seem like it's longer than it really is, though.  big_smile

Keep practicing.  And when you're sick of practicing, that's the best time to practice some more.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Hi Sheersha, alot of guitar shops will change strings for a small extra charge. Might be worth taking you guitar along as they may be able to extract and replace that pin without any fuss. They'll certainly have a replacement.

G chord - are you making it with your first second and ring finger or with your second, ring and little finger?

First way I mentioned is the regular way most people learn however because I learnt from a 'teach yourself blues' book in the 80s I use my little finger. This allows you to move to C much easier and G/C is very common in songs. Try it, it might suit you, there's no wrong way with chords although there are plenty of hard ways ;-)

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

Take it to a reputable shop.  The sound may just be strings against a fret, in which case you need to practice your chords.  No problem, we all went through that.  I thought I'd never get a D chord at speed, and now it's one of my "go to" shapes.  I don't know when that happened.  It just did because I kept at it. 

Or it may be something got knocked loose or dropped inside in one of your moves.

Don't try to fix a tuner or a tuning peg by yourself until you're more familiar with the instrument or unless you are real handy with tools.  Take it to a shop.  They know what to do with a Silvertone.  Lots of folks out there with them.  It won't cost you much and it'll be worth your while. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Thanks very much!!

Guitar: Jay Turser "Statue of Liberty" guitar
I've decided to name it (drum roll please) Liberty.
I'm a noob guitarist but I have the love of a pro.
I want to learn everything I can.

Spending $100 to fix a $70 guitar isn't an economic winner.   One of the great things about super cheap guitars is that they are fantastic platforms for learning your own maintenance.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]