1 (edited by cameronkl7 2009-06-21 01:21:28)

Topic: Made my Mom cry

Well, today I made my Mom cry, I finally got the courage up to play for someone "my Mom" other than of my Wife. She had been after me for months to play her something so today my Wife and I went to her home, she's 82 years old, and I played her several songs, one an old Marty Robbins song that I remembered as a child that she loved called "El Paso" I only went over it s few times this morning before playing it, but, it was my version. I played "Will The Circle Be Unbroken", another one of her favorites, Keith Whitleys "Don't Close your Eyes" and several more songs that I muddled through.

She was so surprised and happy she cried, to be honest when I looked up and saw that I just about started myself. Also to be honest it was as good for me "or better" because I look at it as just another hurdle I crossed in so far as playing in front of someone other than my wife, actually I think I did pretty well if I do say so myself, anyway, just wanted to share that with everyone, and to let you all know how much I appreciate everyones help here on Chordie, thank you so much!

Cam

PS...After just posting this my Wife just informed me tomorrow that I'm playing for her Mom, she has terminal cancer, so I'll certainly play for her, she wants an Elvis song, so I'll be doing it tomorrow again!

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Re: Made my Mom cry

Well done matey. I'm sure you made your mum very proud. Keep up the good work and keep on playing for as many people as you can.....

All I got, is a red guitar, three chords and the truth

Good Job Cam,

Your in luck there are a lot of Elvis songs that are pretty easy to do after you run thru them a few times.

Remember when you finish your Elvis song to say "Thank you, Thank You very much" in your best Elvis voice!

Later, Wayne P

Lots of people cry after hearing me play Maybe I should practice.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Well two pats on your back Cam  wink, one for today and one for tomorrow.  I'm glad to hear your finding one of the many joys of music--

Ron

hi cam that was a nice thing to do,just keep doing what your doing can't fault you well done....stay cool

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

Awesome...no better feeling. Congrats

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Hey Cam, way to go.  One more step.  I played in front of my mom some time back, but she didn't comment.  Oh, well.  Now you need to play at that next bar-b-que

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

hi cam,

i've been playing in front of live audiences for 30 years, big one's and little `un's! but the hardest one of all was my dad. my parents came a few times to see me in various groups and duo's, and i'd always look at him to see if i could make out his thoughts...never could.
then the last time he came to see me, he actually gushed! i thought yes, i've made it! the show was in his local club, and all his mates [who didnt know me] gave me a big ovation. i suppose it was a relief that i didnt shame him.

still, people come all the time to shake my hand and say that was great, but the words from dad mean more than any other accolade.

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Way to go Cam!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Well, I did it again, my Mother in law who is still in pretty good shape right now but has terminal cancer cried today when I did one of her favorite Elvis songs "Can't help fallining in love with you", among many others that I played for her. I actually did better for her than I did my own Mom, not sure why, but it just seemed easier. I want to thank everyone for all the kind words and support from your replys, and all of you should know that you had a hand in this, it was my biggest hurdle I've had to cross so far, so thanks again to you all!

Cam

Good on Ya Cam
An expression of love returned with an expression of love. You made their world a better place. smile

P.S.  Happy Fathers Day All

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Well done Cam !
                         they`l be "over the moon" with yer... i bottled my chance  was gonna play "Love Me Tender" to the wife on our 25th wedding aniversary, i practiced for weeks,but sadly i bottled it and played the King singing it instead sad

well done again m8

micky cool

cool Dont Stop Kid Keep Rockin'  !! cool

Nice work, Cam.  It must have been a fulfilling experience.  I'm sad to say neither of my parents ever showed much interest in any of my musical endeavours - music just wasn't on the list of priorities in my house.  I always wanted to find an excuse to show them what I could do but they just would have been embarrassed by the whole thing.   roll

Stronger than the sun....harder than a gun

A wonderful experience Cam and a memory to treasure.

Six years ago I made a CD for my mum that made her cry, however it was not a recording of me but her mother, my grandmother, reciting a poem that was her party piece, and this was 40 years after her death. It had originally been recorded by a cousin of mine on an old reel-to reel tape and, with no player, I had to go on the local radio to borrow one to transfer it to my PC. I was amazed at the quality of a recording done so long ago.

The CD certainly made a great 80th birthday present for my mum, even if we did both weep whilst listening to it.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

My mom was always my biggest fan.  I wish she had lived long enough to hear me play guitar or in the praise band I was in for a few years.  But she heard me many other times in orchestras and when I was at the playhouse for a season. 

I played and had fun with my sister and brother-in-law at Christmas time.  No one said anything, and since my brother-in-law is a professional singer/songwriter and pianist I had a real hard time keeping up (and frequently didn't).  A month or so later my Dad called and said, "Son, I just wanted to tell you that I think the music you were playing at Christmas was great.  I really enjoyed hearing it."  That felt good.

My father-in-law and I were close.  He was in very poor health last April for his 70th birthday.  I learned a country gospel song a friend wrote.  I thought he'd enjoy hearing a new gospel song he'd never heard.  I also learned John McCutcheon's "Dad's Got That Look."  Guess which one he asked to hear over again about three times that evening?  Every time I got to the line "uh, go ask your mother" in the verse about homework he laughed out loud.  A relief.  Worth the risk for Dad's sake. He's the man whose last words were "I'll be fine", knowing with full faith those were his final moments AND exactly where he'd be minutes from then, and for whom I've started to write a song by that title to honor him.   The song sucks.  My father-in-law didn't. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Thanks for all the kind words, I really appreciated it. It was great fun, and a big hurdle for me. I loved hearing the stories you've all left, thats whats great about this site and the people on it, the stories we all have, from all parts of the world, with music, family, friends, thats whats important, thanks again for everyones help, now on to the next hurdle.

Cam

Thats some story. I suppose music without emotion is just noise.