Topic: the most "hart" touching song ever

For me it is quit easy, when I hear "unchained melody"by THE RIGHTEOUS BROTHERS, in fact it is only one of the two singing, and guess who pops up again: PHIL SPECTOR
(YOU SHOULD GO TO YOUTUBE AND WATCH ROGER GUPPY'S COVER = HEAVENLY) I am always touched, so touched and I really feel the need of love (I swear it on my mother's head).

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: the most "hart" touching song ever

Justin Townes Earle's new one called "Someday I'll be Forgiven for This."

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I got a few

the soldier.....harvey Andrews
trains and my grandfather........brian mcneil
no mans land ( aka green fields of france) eric bogle
reason for it all.....Eric Bogle
As if he knows....eric bogle
and the band played walktzing matilda....yep you guessed right another Eric Bogle

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

to be precisely correct to the post's title, I'll submit:

Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer

</spelling rant>

I remember "you light up my life" Debbi Boon and Bette Midler's cover of "Wind beneath my wings"were very emotional songs smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I'll Follow You in to the Dark by Death Cab for Cutie
Kathy with a K's Song by Bright Eyes

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

7 (edited by Zurf 2009-06-24 12:18:56)

Spiritual by Johnny Cash   How can you beat this line when sung as a prayer rather than a blasphemy     "Jeeeeeeesus.  Jeeeeeesus!   I don't want to die (pregnant pause) alone." 

Unchained by Johnny Cash  I'm learning this one, I can play it OK with the music but get wrapped up in the lyrics and forget the chords to play.  Johnny Cash didn't write it from what I can recall of the liner notes.  It moved him and so he did it as a cover.  Anyway, there's a line in it that compares the singer (it's written in first person) to a homeless person and perfectly epitomizes how some people's spirits just don't seem to be at "home" on Earth. 

I have a soft spot for people who have given their lives over to the bottle.  I've seen a lot of good people go down that path, some family among them.  So, I think "Early Morning Rain" by Gordon Lightfoot is one that touches me deeply.  A woman comes to take him home. He misses home terribly but he can't stay sobor long enough to get on the plane and breaks his own heart.  It is a measured and decisive entry into the Hell of drinking one's self to death.  I don't know if I've ever heard a song that so aptly describes a person confronted by the choice of love and family or the bottle, and selecting the bottle knowing what it means.  I've heard several versions and I don't know who wrote it, but the version I prefer to hear is Gordon Lightfoot's.  I've been working on that one too.  Mine is nowhere as poignant (skillful, interesting, etc.) as his.  It's brilliant how early in the song he sings about the fun of drinking "Now the liquor tasted good, and the women all were fast" and later in the song it's obvious that he's already passed the stage of social drinking and has lost a lot of himself to the booze when he sings "I'm stuck here in the grass, cold and drunk as I can be".  The first line is sung almost whistfully, as a fond memory, and the second line is practically spit out with a real hardness to his voice.  What a skilled storyteller Gordon Lightfoot is. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

8 (edited by Zurf 2009-06-24 12:14:49)

One of the best country song lines ever written from 'Mama Tried', I think it was by Merle Haggard (hopefully one of the other country fans will correct me if I got that wrong) - "I turned 21 in prison doing life without parole..."

Hey Ken, did you ever hear of Eric Bogle.  I think you ought to try some of his music.   You'd probably like it.  smile

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

4 Songs !

Could it be that Eric Bogle is just a dour old man, something to do with being Scottish maybe ?

**Edited to remove an offensive word. As a newcomer to the site you may not know but many ladies and children are Members of Chordie and offensive language is not allowed**

Gospel Song By Elvis "He Touched Me"
Brad Paisley/Allison Krauss - Whiskey Lullabye

Other than Unchained Melody, which I think is a beautiful song, Bruce Springsteen does "If I Should Fall Behind", is another great song.  I played this one at my youngest daughters wedding and she loved it.  That one gets the girls crying.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

12 (edited by jerome.oneil 2009-06-24 21:00:51)

Zurf wrote:

I have a soft spot for people who have given their lives over to the bottle.

Indeed!  Sunday Morning Coming Down is one of my favorites.  Chris Christofferson wrote it, Johnny Cash made it famous.

"And the beer I had for breakfast wasn't bad, so I had one more for dessert...."

Fantastic stuff...

I've always loved Johnny Cash's cover of "Hurt" by Nine Inch Nails.  Several of the songs off of Clapton's Unplugged album as well including "Tears In Heaven" and "Running On Faith"....my newest favorites are Skillet's "Say Goodbye" and "Yours To Hold".

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

jerome.oneil wrote:
Zurf wrote:

Indeed!  Sunday Morning Coming Down is one of my favorites.  Chris Christofferson wrote it, Johnny Cash made it famous.

"And the beer I had for breakfast wasn't bad, so I had one more for desert...."

Fantastic stuff...

Jerome, I love playing "Sunday Morning Comin Down"  another song I like that is very real to life is

Townes Van Zandt"s  "Waitin Round To Die"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTGKzWDakK8

Later, Wayne P

"it's yesterday once more" by the carpenters, just for the way they sing it.

and Bette Midler again, in one of her films she sings "in my life" to an audience of soldiers in Vietnam, it's a very touching scene and she sings one of Lennon's best songs brilliantly.

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Dreams by The Cranberries
Dreams by Van Halen
There Goes My Life by Kenny Chesney
You Had Me From Hello by Kenny Chesney
Who You'd Be Today by Kenny Chesney
Live Like You Were Dying by Tim McGraw

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

rayco37 wrote:

4 Songs !

Could it be that Eric Bogle is just a dour old man, something to do with being Scottish maybe ?

Eh No and I take offence to your unwanted words " something to do with being scottish",
why bother saying anything like this at all without wanting to start an argument?

Dour?, not at all. Do not show your pathetic ignorance here, it will do you no good.

If you knew any of eric bogle's stuff you would know he has a lot of cheery funny songs.

go grow up and do not try to argue with someone that is far superior to you in being a human being.

goodbye

upyerkilt wrote:

I got a few

and the band played walktzing matilda....yep you guessed right another Eric Bogle

And I looked at the place where me legs used to be

Awesome!

The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face by Roberta Flack or the Stereophonics does it for me

cool

I'm the son of rage and love

Oh, hang on

Bruce Springsteen's 41 Shots - real powerful!

Cheers Lieven, for another great topic

I'm the son of rage and love

wlbaye wrote:
jerome.oneil wrote:
Zurf wrote:

"And the beer I had for breakfast wasn't bad, so I had one more for desert...."

Fantastic stuff...

Jerome, I love playing "Sunday Morning Comin Down"  another song I like that is very real to life is

Townes Van Zandt"s  "Waitin Round To Die"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTGKzWDakK8

Dude, I'm gonna get all emo and pout!  big_smile

OK, so I checked him out on Pandora and it turns out Eric Bogle is pretty darn good.  I wasn't so sure about it, knowing Ken's preference and my general aversion for punk music, but Eric Bogle is about as far from punk as .... well I don't know what but it's quite a difference. 

Thanks for the tip you dour old Scotsman.  wink  (wait while I duck) 

- Zurf

lol

Zurf I do not mind anyone I internettly know having a laugh, it is the idiots that think they are funny, the ones that do not know me or my humour or attitude.
Folk that do not know others should not even try to joke, but I feel he is just a racist bleeping bleep towards scots as he has already shown.

Right Eric, yeah, No where near punk. I love love punk, folk, traditional, country,
I just hate manufactured boy/girl bands

Ken

upyerkilt wrote:

:
I just hate manufactured boy/girl bands

Ken

I'll keep quiet about learning Take That songs for a party then..... big_smile

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Rita Mac Niel's   "Working Man"  version by Matt Minglewood about a tired old coal miner. His
version puts a lump in the throat. My dad was a coal miner since he left school in grade six and worked hard all his life. That tune reminds me of him. I bet dad is mining in the sky.

Badeye

one caper after another