1 (edited by Seersha 2009-06-29 00:30:14)

Topic: Just to make sure I'm not a complete musical moron here...

So I took my guitar in to my local guitar shop, Lightning Joe's (been around for like, ever in this town) and Joe's wife immediately recognized my statue of liberty guitar (apparently it's a rare or unique make or something, she seemed genuinely interested in it) and checked it out for me. I told her that I was picking up guitar again and wanted it tuned/checked out so she got her husband Joe...Lightning Joe I would assume...and he said that the neck alignment and then gave me a look that would peel paint because I think he thought I had mistreated such a beautiful guitar. I felt guilty even though I haven't been home and it wasn't ME that unceremoniously threw the guitar in the back of the shed....anyway.

The diagnosis that the alignment of the neck was not...good...off....or whatever and I probably should have been able to hear that for myself. Well, maybe I didn't, maybe I did. I'm not sure. The strings rattle and kinda make a...honkey noise along with the notes that is quite unpleasent but I had attributed that to me not holding the chords down hard enough or something else....that was my fault. Joe offered to fix the neck for free since I bought the guitar there so I'm gonna do that in a couple of days and get new strings on it. My question is...was that rattle-honk noise the neck alignment? If so then kudos to me for figuring something out on guitar for myself.

Guitar: Jay Turser "Statue of Liberty" guitar
I've decided to name it (drum roll please) Liberty.
I'm a noob guitarist but I have the love of a pro.
I want to learn everything I can.

Re: Just to make sure I'm not a complete musical moron here...

Seersha - If the strings were very old, that alone could be a major source of your problems. A set of strings typically last me only 2 to 4 weeks at best. But the guitar being in "the back of the shed" certainly couldn't do much good. Humidity and temperature changes will reek havoc on a wood instrument. Feel lucky there are no cracks or other structural issues.

Sounds like Joe is going to give you a free set-up which is a very good thing. This likely will include an adjustment of the truss rod to  provide proper neck relief.  A neck reset would typically cost several hundred dollars.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Thanks, I do feel very lucky. It was in it's hard case but still, I was kinda mad that my dad just chucked it back there.

Guitar: Jay Turser "Statue of Liberty" guitar
I've decided to name it (drum roll please) Liberty.
I'm a noob guitarist but I have the love of a pro.
I want to learn everything I can.

Sounds like a decent shop Seersha, the remark on the neck wasn't so they could hit you for a low trade-in price and it sounds like you've got a collectable guitar there. Necks can warp even when well kept, it can simply be the luck of the wood sometimes. If the neck was out of adjustment your strings may have been buzzing against the frets which is usually a nasty sound. Well done on naming your guitar, it's the first step to bonding with your guitar and becoming one with the music...

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

Kudos to you then.

Usually, there's not just one problem or cause for anything.  Sometimes when everything is done wrong it all works together for a good sound.  Think Allman Brothers.  On their live recordings, it's hard to tell whether everyone on stage is actually playing the same song, but it comes out with a good sound in the end.  Macy Gray can't breath worth a squat, but she makes it work for her.  So just because something is "wrong" doesn't mean it's really WRONG.  If you don't like it, that's wrong enough and something worth fixing.

Good for Lightning Joe for doing a free set-up.  That's pretty amazing service.  Make sure you let him know you appreciate it.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

idk about what topdown says about strings...two-four weeks...I think it depends on how hard you play em.  I play every day for hours and my strings last for months and months without losing their tone

So Red Delicious

It depends on the environment in which the guitar is stored, how oily your hands are, the style(s) you play, the size of the strings, the finish of the strings, the materials from which the strings are made, etc.  Lots of variables.  I get about three to four weeks out of my strings but much longer out of my nylon classical's strings.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude