Topic: Excited!

So somebody's bringing me a dobro Sunday, and I'm really excited to try my hand at it. He said it needs new strings, but other than that plays great. He did say its a low end model, but he it'll sing. Anybody own one, or maybe have used one and have anything they think I should know? He usually tunes it to open G, I was thinking E since that the only open tuning I've ever really used much...
Anyway I've always wanted one and just had to brag a little bit.

All You Need is Love smile

Re: Excited!

Been looking at cheap ones myself. I always get cheap stuff first then if I like it I can upgrade. Be sure to post your "adventures"; I'll be curous to see how much you like it.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

This is a photo of mine its a Dobro hounddog electric and I tune it any way I want which includes minor,major or whatever I fancy smile
[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3618/3635641023_e4df0597e7_b.jpg

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I have it 1st hand from Jerry Douglas that the best dobro he ever had cost him $80.

I so want one.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

This Dobro was a present from one of my students I gave him lessons for over 2 years and we became friends smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

BUT WHAT IS CONSIDERED AS "BEST DOBRO"?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Well I tried my hand a little bit last night, and even though this one was around 150$ it has an amazing sound. I don't think its quite the same as these as with other guitars: I mean you know if you spend the money on a Taylor or Martin you're pretty much guaranteed an amazing instrument. But with dobros I don't think its the price or brand that matters.
Love love LOVE the sound of this thing, I have no idea what doing but it still sounds so cool.

last_rebel wrote:

Well I tried my hand a little bit last night, and even though this one was around 150$ it has an amazing sound. I don't think its quite the same as these as with other guitars: I mean you know if you spend the money on a Taylor or Martin you're pretty much guaranteed an amazing instrument. But with dobros I don't think its the price or brand that matters.
Love love LOVE the sound of this thing, I have no idea what doing but it still sounds so cool.

Thanks...now I want one. (or maybe I shouldn't say thanks!!!)

Elvis Costello

Rebel, are you planning to play this like a regular guitar or flat on your lap with a slide? Reason I ask is Dobro is synonymous with lap playing. Usually the nut is changed to give a high action but the make seems to recommend itself to the country/bluegrass lap styles. Excuse me if this isn't what you're up to, I believe Dobros are fine guitars in any use (never seen one in the flesh though).

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

Well I've tried both ways actually, when I'm using a slide I play it on my lap cuz I have an easier time getting control of it so to speak, you know killing the strings and all that. I also like plain old fingerpicking with it, and when I do that I hold it like a regualr guitar. Its alot of fun eiher way.

cytania wrote:

Rebel, are you planning to play this like a regular guitar or flat on your lap with a slide? Reason I ask is Dobro is synonymous with lap playing. Usually the nut is changed to give a high action but the make seems to recommend itself to the country/bluegrass lap styles. Excuse me if this isn't what you're up to, I believe Dobros are fine guitars in any use (never seen one in the flesh though).

I thought the round neck was Spanish Style and the square neck was the lap style????

Elvis Costello