Topic: Sick to My Stomach

Everytime I sit down and  practice on my accoustic guitar after I eat, I feel sick to my stomach. I believe this is because I hold the guitar too tightly against my abdomen. My wife says that my singing is making me sick. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Please help because I don't want to give up playing the guitar.

Re: Sick to My Stomach

sick? cant say that has ever happened maybe you should wait an hour so the food has had time to digest and as long as your singing isnt making the wife sick I dont think you have anything to worry about lol

"Growing old is not for sissies"

There is one answer - don't practice after you've just eaten. It might not be holding the guitar against your stomach, but rather sitting slumped or bent over too much in order to see your fretting hand.

Let a meal settle for an hour and see if you have the same sort of problem. I think it's probably down to posture, but whatever, don't give up!

Weather forecast for tonight: dark. Continued dark overnight, with widely scattered light by morning.

This is an easy one. Everyone knows that music is more important than food....

Play music 'till you get hungry, then eat.....

Give everything but up.

I have not but if my stomach rumbles the guitar (acoustic) amplifies the noise.

Try practicing while standing and see if it happens.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Have you got a strap on that guitar Fish? I used to get back pain until I got a broad leather strap. This was just sitting down practice but a strap does mean you aren't tensing to hold the guitar on your knee. Other thing I'm thinking is that your singing technique may be the trouble. Are you finding your right key or straing to make the recording pitch? Do you warm-up first? Plenty of throat clearing and belching when I get ready to go out singing...

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

deadstring wrote:

I have not but if my stomach rumbles the guitar (acoustic) amplifies the noise.

Try practicing while standing and see if it happens.

I tried standing while playing and I felt fine. That seems to work

cytania wrote:

Have you got a strap on that guitar Fish? I used to get back pain until I got a broad leather strap. This was just sitting down practice but a strap does mean you aren't tensing to hold the guitar on your knee. Other thing I'm thinking is that your singing technique may be the trouble. Are you finding your right key or straing to make the recording pitch? Do you warm-up first? Plenty of throat clearing and belching when I get ready to go out singing...

I feel better when I stand and play. When I buy my next guitar I am going to make sure that it has a strap. As far as singing in the right key, according to my wife who hears me sing,  I couldn't find the right key if my life depended on it. As far as belching is concerned, you should hear me after a couple of beers.

Sounds like Matelot has the cure.  Practice good posture when playing.  That's something I dobn't do enough and I get a sore back after 20-30 minutes.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

fish24 wrote:
cytania wrote:

I feel better when I stand and play. When I buy my next guitar I am going to make sure that it has a strap. As far as singing in the right key, according to my wife who hears me sing,  I couldn't find the right key if my life depended on it. As far as belching is concerned, you should hear me after a couple of beers.

according to my wife        That's the problem! Get a new wife and you'll feel much better!! JUST KIDDING LADY FISH 24

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

I have had the same problem. It felt like a stomach cramp...like those mushrooms I ate may not have been the right kind...improving my posture and not sitting too deep in my chair fixed it. It would stand to reason that standing up would fix it too.

Mandolin>guitar

SouthPaw41L wrote:

This is an easy one. Everyone knows that music is more important than food....

Play music 'till you get hungry, then eat.....

That method always works for me!!

=]
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

That's a good idea and it will help me to lose some extra weight tool

Weird what posture can do!!...... I have a permament dent across my right leg from the way I hold my guitar. Holding it the same way and playing everyday for 4 years..... I just got used to the dent as, I am not about to give up guitar playing....although, I should try out my strap.....haha, as my leg does look funny, especially in shorts...lol

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, But how to dance in the rain... smile

fish24 wrote:

My wife says that my singing is making me sick. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Yes.  Your wife just called and she said my singing is making her sick too. 

On the serious side, it's all about posture.  The standing thing is good too.  Given that standing is working for you, I'm betting that you have too low of a chair, or that you are slumping in it, or you are sitting too deeply in the chair or something like that.  If you want to continue to sit, try a high stool like a barstool where you can't sit too deeply or slump too much or you'll fall off.  That's exactly why I have ever fallen off a barstool.  Too much slouching.  No other reason.  Nuh-uh.  Nope. 

I first played bass as classical upright bass in an orchestra.  So now even when I play blues or country bass on an electric, I still stand.  It just feels wrong to play bass when sitting for some reason.  Guitar I sit, but I sit on the edge of the chair (the way Momma taught me not to) and I try my best to keep my back up straight (just the way Momma wanted me to but I never did). 

If you're having too many adult beverages with dinner, perhaps the problem has nothing to do with guitar. 

If you feel nauseous whenever you eat a meal, you might have a medical problem too, like gallstones or too much stomach acid or something.  It it's only when you play guitar, then it's almost certainly posture. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude