1 (edited by cameronkl7 2009-07-01 16:11:36)

Topic: Fender

I'd like to know from anyone who may have or owned a Fender Electric/Acoustic T-Bucket 300ce model. I know I've heard that Fender in some peoples opinion's have let their quality drop in acoustics. This paticular guitar is $300.00 with the tax and hardshell case, maybe good maybe not. I know that everyone says it's the feel of the guitar in your hand and the sound, that you go by. I can tell you it's certainly a step up from my old beatup "lower end" Ibanez , that I'm told now needs work on it, about $50.00 to get it straighten out. So I guess I'm just wondering if anyone has had any dealings with the Fender T--Bucket 300CE, thanks for any help.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Re: Fender

Don't know that particular model but I'm unimpressed by Fender acoustics in general. To my ears they sound dull and utterly uninspiring. Check out other makers like Crafter, Faith, Seagull, Godin, Yamaha, even Recording King. All of which I've found models at your price point that beat Fenders into a cocked hat...

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

Thanks for your input Cytania, I kew I had read somwhere that Fenders quality had dropped, while it's still better than what I have, I've decided to keep looking.

Cam

Nothing wrong with Fender's quality today Cameron but they are primarily an electric guitar maker. Their acoustics range has always been an attempt to cash in on the distinctive Fender headstock look.

If you can save up enough to double your budget then a Taylor 110 dreadnought can be got for around $600. You should be able to hear and feel the difference over the competition. Widely available too...

Thanks Cytania,

Today I went over to Greensboro NC  to "Guitar Center", and looked at everything inside of my price range, and a little above to be honest, but about 1/4 of the way around the room a saw a $2.200 Martin, well me being me, I said what the heck, I picked it up, sat down with it, and played it so long that it most likely needs to be rectrung, it sounded so beauitful, so easy to play, even better than a $2.000 dollar Gibson I picked up. So after putting those back, I made my way on artound the room looking at other brands, Ovation, Seagull, Takamine, Breedlove, Ibanez, as well as others, but everything sounded inferior to that Martin, sometimes I wished I had never picked it up, I left the store without buying so much as a T-shirt. I went in ready to buy if I found something I liked, but bought nothing.

Now I know not to look at the name on the Headstock, that you go by how it sounds to you, how it feels, but My God I loved that Martin, it's way out of my price range, and I'll not give into temptation, especially at my level of playing, but maybe, hopefully, one day when all the stars are lined up,  my luck is strong and true...oh well, I'm dreaming, but anyway WOW what a guitar.

Cam

There are much lower priced Martins which sound very good, Also.  I bought my Martin Custom D 6 months ago and I love the sound compared to my Fender.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

cameronkl7 wrote:

Thanks Cytania,

Today I went over to Greensboro NC  to "Guitar Center", and looked at everything inside of my price range, and a little above to be honest, but about 1/4 of the way around the room a saw a $2.200 Martin, well me being me, I said what the heck, I picked it up, sat down with it, and played it so long that it most likely needs to be rectrung, it sounded so beauitful, so easy to play, even better than a $2.000 dollar Gibson I picked up. So after putting those back, I made my way on artound the room looking at other brands, Ovation, Seagull, Takamine, Breedlove, Ibanez, as well as others, but everything sounded inferior to that Martin, ......

Cam

Cam - Up to this point in your post, I thought for sure you bought the Martin! I was ready to congratulate you and invite you over for a cookout immediately! smile

Oh well, don't feel bad - I've been to that same GC twice ready to buy and left empty handed both times. Not much of an acoustic selection and what is there have all been well played. If I want a used guitar, I'm going right to CraigsList, not GC.

Not sure what your budget is, but I'm gonna tout Composite Acoustics. They have a new OX series that I have heard great things about and a price point quite a bit lower than previous models (I have a GXi). These guitars sound and play absolutely fantastic and are virtually indestructible. Here's a few links for you to check out. If interested, I'd recommend MacNichol for their 30 day return policy. I'm telling you, my guitar has as much punch as any Martin I've ever heard.

http://www.compositeacoustics.com/Files … OX_365.asp

http://www.macnichol.com/category/CA_Guitars_OX.html

http://carbonguitar.com/smf/index.php?board=8.0

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Topdown,

If I remember your at the beach right? Hope your enjoying yourself. I guess sometimes I ramble on when telling a story, which is why at first I can understand why you might think I bought that Martin, I've never researched the composite guitars before Topdown, I'll give them a look, thanks! I'm just an old country boy who has to make a short story long sometimes I guess. I did love that Martin, and Bensonp, they did have some other Martins, but just for me it sounded so much sweeter, but again, thats just me, I'm certainly not an expert by any means, but, I'll keep looking, I know theres one out there "a guitar" with my name on it, and when it's mean't to be, it will be, ok..I know I'm ramblin again...good name for a song "I'm Ramblin again"   ok..ok I'm through.

Cam

That is why you don't go looking at the most expensive houses when you are ready to buy.  All the others just don't measure up.  Same thing with cars.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Lesson Learned!

Cam

Hi Cam, when a maker gets things right there is often a 'family resemblance' in their guitars, so what you liked in that Martin should be reflected in Martins lower down the price scale. Did you note if it was a spruce or cedar top (koa anyone)?

Other way of going about it is start regular checks of the craigslist and ebay type sites. Ebay itself is a real rats den, real sellers rarely come up now, look for Martin and acoustic sites and maybe post in wanted sections. Bone up on the Martin models and the typical secondhand prices. Oh and all the usual 'watch-outs' apply. Meet the seller, check for cracks, work the price.

Thanks for all the advice Cytania,

To be honest with you when I went to GC on the way there I realized I didn't take my glasses, the room that the guitars were in, at least the acoustics, was dimly lit, so I couldn't even make out the model, small print is something I can't read without them, so there I was, kinda shopping in the dark as they say. I could see the prices though, as far as being able to look at the wood and tell, I can't tell much of one wood from another, except wood such as oak, pine hickory cedar cherry, but anyway, I appreciate your advice and next time, I'll be sure to take my glasses.

Cam

I've tried the T Bucket and found it an okay guitar. It's a laminate top guitar that looks better than it sounds. If you just want a Fender acoustic i'd go with the Kingman. It has a solid spruce top and mahogany back and sides with Fishman electronics for just a few bucks more than the T bucket.

14 (edited by cytania 2009-07-06 12:42:27)

Wood is what gives an acoustic it's distinctive sound, Cam, usually the top is most important. Spruce is most common and is close to white under a clear varnish, it gives a bright commanding sound. Cedar is also well liked and comes up orange/yellow, it has a warm, intimate sound. There are others but koa is rare and pricey. I played an all mahogany Martin last week, very dark delta blues sound as I remember.

Use of maple in back/sides will make a guitar brighter and more trebley. Heavy varnishes make a guitar louder unplugged but also more ringing and maybe a bit shrill...

Martin's cheapest guitar is the DX1, this is a sort of green experiment. It's laminate, the grain you see is just a photo-print, but it's made from sustainable forest resources. It's better than it should be thanks to the Martin strut magic but at the $570 price point you could get a solid top guitar in proper wood from other makers.

Keep an open mind, if the salesman bothers you ask him which models are solid tops and it'll keep him occupied while you listen for tone. Don't bother too much about where a guitar was made, user your ears...

I absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my Fender guitar.... It is a GA45sce....plays like a dream and sounds great! It is an acoustic/electric, with Fishman electronics. Google the model and read the reviews! Mine has the built in tuner, as some models don't.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, But how to dance in the rain... smile

I am with vxn on this. I have a JG 26SCE electro acoustic and it is the best guitar I have ever played. Here is a YouTube clip of a test on one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNMZigt1fwE

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Thanks again for all the advice, I really appreciate everyone's input, I'm not sure but I think that the model I looked at, and it was an acoustic/elictric was this one here, seems like I could make out the 0 in the model numer without my glasses

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Martin-OMCE … 1442076.gc

Now this may not have been the one, there are a few others at that same price, but I believe it was this one.

Cam

Manager of the acoustics at my local Guitar Center said most guitar mfgs are now owned by Fender.  Yes?

Hi Wayne - Although Fender is one of the largest guitar manufacturers (if not the largest), to say "most" guitars are made by them is not quite true. Fender Musical Instrument Corp also owns Guild, Tacoma, Gretsch and other brands (see link below).

http://www.fender.com/products/otherbrands/

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Fender has been on a bit of a buying spree of recent and yes they own alot of brand names. That isn't to say that these are all now made at Fender factories and sound the same as classsic Fender models. Beware of making decisions based on corporate ownership (pre-CBS is totally bogus) or country of manufacture.

Wow Cameron, you certainly got well away from your budget there! Korina is one of those woods you really only see on top end models. I'm not convinced it has huge benefits but you won't find other makers doing it cheap.

The good news is I still reckon you can find the feel and sound you like in the $300-$600 mark. Just let the salesman know you are looking for something like Martin without the price premium and they'll understand.

Hope I don't come over as anti-Fender, it's just that I went through a whole rack of their affordable offerings a few weeks ago (I' sure they do a great guitar in the thousand dollar mark but then every manufacturer does) and found nothing to like at all. But it's personal taste. What I am saying is don't just choose from the Fender line-up like somehow they cover the whole rainbow of sounds. They don't...

I play on a Fender DG-11 Acoustic. It sounds pretty good but the action is really high and even with light strings it's a struggle to keep enough finger pressure to not buzz. I thought for a long time it was "just me" but after playing some even $300 guitars at Guitar Center with low action and actual wood bodies (vs laminate) it has A LOT to do with the guitar. I have $250 towards a Takimine save up now. Will be a HUGE upgrade.  Can't wait!!

I was in the market for a new guitar so I went to best buy's guitar center(because it's the closest to my home), I looked around for a while and of course played the top of the line models first-the 2 to 3 thousand dollar range models. Then I came back down to earth and started playing the guitars that where in my price range. The first guitar I saw that I liked was a yamaha I picked it up and played around with it played a couple of songs and I thought it was awesome. The tone was great the feel in my hands was as if someone made it just for me! Great sound great guitar. The only problem was I didn't have the money till the following week, the guitar was $325. So I go home and go online to check out the reviews and such and other people think it's just a great guitar, so I'm set on buying it but I go to the fender website and see an awesome looking guitar. a Fender 220 S Striped asian guitar. I loved the look of the guitar. SoOOOOO! yes I made the mistake before you all tell me , but I bought it online!!!!!!!!!!
I got the guitar and it is gorgeous don't get me wrong but since I ordered it I felt something not right in my gut!!. I opened it ,tuned it and played it. The bright bronze strings made the guitar buzz like crazy, good thing I new what it was right away, I changed the strings to some martin 80/20 medium bronze I had bought extra and It fixed the buzzing right away. The action was nice and low perfect for fast swithching chords and easy bar chords, Buttttttttt, That sweet sound that  came out of that yamaha was not there. I felt I robbed myself for choosing a name brand over something That I had personnally tried out. Moral of the story don't buy online, go out and try several guitars one will sing for you and  if you have to pay that little extra do it. that's going to be your guitar for a long time. Don't buy a guitar thinking that it'll be good just because of a name Brand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forgive your enemies, but always remember their names!