Topic: mixing and all that

So, am I correct in thinking that I can send my songs to some and they can make it sound better? The problem I'm having is when I record more then one instrument  it just doesn't sound good. Like the bass sounds far off or not at the right level. Any help or suggestion? I hope this hasn't been covered before

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

Re: mixing and all that

What software are you using to record? Are you doing it all in one track or more than one track?

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

I use Audiocity. First I'll record the acoustic guitar and vocals on one track, then I mike my bass amp on a separate track. Since my mike aint that great, I have to go into the effects menu and amplify everything.

Reverend Horton Heat

Selso in this forum there is a topic at the top in gray "members willing to help" it lists producers musicians etc that have volunteered to help just pick one and email them and ask if they have time to do this project smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Russell_Harding wrote:

Selso in this forum there is a topic at the top in gray "members willing to help" it lists producers musicians etc that have volunteered to help just pick one and email them and ask if they have time to do this project smile

This may sound like a stupid question, but do I send them the audiocity version or the converted mp3?

Reverend Horton Heat

6 (edited by riddler 2009-07-05 18:11:43)

If you are wanting someone to mix it for you...I would convert each track to mp3 or wav and send the individual tracks...

riddler wrote:

If you are wanting someone to mix it for you...I would convert each track to mp3 or wav and send the individual tracks...

does that mean recording and saving each track individually in its own project thingy? Meaning record the guitar and vocals, save it, open a new project, record the bass, save it, then send? I cant just send the whole thing like I recorded it? Sorry if this seems stupid

Reverend Horton Heat

been a while since i used audacity...but i think if you mute the bass...and just export(convert to mp3) the vocal/guitar.....then unmute the bass and mute the guitar/vocal and export that track...you will have your 2 seperate tracks....
PS:would be worth the effort to get the vocal and guitar on their own seperate tracks but if its not possible then you just have to use what you have..

doesnt seem stupid at all...i just know enough to be dangerous myself...lol...good luck...

You can export "selected" to mp3...do that for each track and send individually. Wavs are better but will never pass through email, so mp3's are probably your best bet

Elvis Costello

Hi Selso
If you want to save a single track from a multi track recording in Audacity....
Muting each track won't work.
Here's what you gotta do.
Open the Audacity file with the song.
I know this sounds drastic but don't worry the original file will still be there in the folder.
Delete the tracks until your left with one track only this one you save to an MP3 with the name you want.
On the "Edit" tab press the "Undo" button which will reinstate the deleted tracks then you
repeat the process leaving only a different track you want to save to an MP3.
Do this until all tracks are saved individually.
When closing make sure you don't save any changes to the original file.....

I think Audacity works best if you record a track then adjust with the FX to suit then record the next track with the 1st track playing in the background so timing etc is ok then FX that one if needed. Then continue doing the same on each track until the song is built up.
Then export as an MP3 if completed and or an Audacity file for re-editing if needed...
ark

Selso I would follow Arkadys instructions and you will wind up with separate mp3's of each track these you can email as they wont consume a lot of megabytes and take forever smile

12 (edited by selso 2009-07-06 15:42:47)

arkady wrote:

Hi Selso
If you want to save a single track from a multi track recording in Audacity....
Muting each track won't work.
Here's what you gotta do.
Open the Audacity file with the song.
I know this sounds drastic but don't worry the original file will still be there in the folder.
Delete the tracks until your left with one track only this one you save to an MP3 with the name you want.
On the "Edit" tab press the "Undo" button which will reinstate the deleted tracks then you
repeat the process leaving only a different track you want to save to an MP3.
Do this until all tracks are saved individually.
When closing make sure you don't save any changes to the original file.....

I think Audacity works best if you record a track then adjust with the FX to suit then record the next track with the 1st track playing in the background so timing etc is ok then FX that one if needed. Then continue doing the same on each track until the song is built up.
Then export as an MP3 if completed and or an Audacity file for re-editing if needed...
ark

Thanks ark, when I get a chance I'll try this. Everyone at my house but me just came down with the stomach flu, so I'm on puke patrol! Why do they all have to get sick at once?

Reverend Horton Heat

Its a  good thing your healthy I dont envy your job lol

Selso wrote:

Thanks ark, when I get a chance I'll try this. Everyone at my house but me just came down with the stomach flu, so I'm on puke patrol! Why do they all have to get sick at once?

Doesn't sound like an enviable task Selso. Wish them all a speedy recovery...
ark

selso wrote:
Russell_Harding wrote:

This may sound like a stupid question, but do I send them the audiocity version or the converted mp3?

Export them as WAVs and send them that.  It's a lot more file to move, but you don't lose any fidelity.

I'd be interested in seeing what I can do with Reaper.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Jerome if he exports them as a wav format he will need a online site like yousendit or mediafire both are free services and a wav file is to large to email but they can be uploaded to yousendit or mediafire easily and a link for someone to download could be provided,I have both accounts and yousendit emails the party to receive the file when its ready to be downloaded and mediafire is also a good way there may be others that can handle a wav file which for a song is usually 40 to 50 megabytes depending on the length there are other formats that reaper and audacity recognize like ogg vorbis and I remember Doug mentioning a condensed format that loses very little fidelity just cant recall it at the moment smile

17 (edited by geoaguiar 2009-07-14 13:20:15)

jerome.oneil wrote:
selso wrote:
Russell_Harding wrote:

Export them as WAVs and send them that.  It's a lot more file to move, but you don't lose any fidelity.

I'd be interested in seeing what I can do with Reaper.

Jerome is right wavs are a lot less lossy but , again, you'll never get them through email servers. You'll have to use file sharing or FTP (check out mediafire.com for file sharing...it works fairly well(.

Elvis Costello