Topic: Louder Acoustic Guitar

I was wondering if the gauge of the strings(Heavy,Medium,&Light) have something to do with the guitars loudness. I Currently have Martin light bronze strings on my Fender Acoustic, and in my closed computer room it's sounds great but once I head out to the porch or backyard that nice sound gets blown away with the wind. I want louder, is there a fix. Thanx!!

Forgive your enemies, but always remember their names!

Re: Louder Acoustic Guitar

The heavier the string gauge the louder on acoustics. Try a set of 13's and see if that helps you.

If you want louder, you want heavier gauge. 

However, acoustic is acoustic and not electric.  String vibrations will never be equal to amps for volume.  Also, be aware that the guitar projects outward and your ears are upward.  Finally, be aware that by supporting the back with your body by having good posture and holding the guitar firmly against your midsection will improve projection of an acoustic guitar. 

Heavier strings, good posture, firmly held guitar position.  You'll get more volume.  And a heavier gauge pick. 

Also, quit playing in the midst of a hurricane or from the back of moving pickup trucks.  That will quiet the wind noise some. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

4 (edited by Guitarpix 2009-07-14 19:30:51)

dfosky is correct and 13's will probably help...

A few more things you may want to look at: Set up, A proper set up will improve the volume. Lot's of people confuse this and will say that the higher the action the louder it is but that's not the case. It's a misconception because often times with real low action the saddle doesn't have enough break angle. As long as the strings aren't hitting other frets, string height doesn't affect volume. Your break angle (the angle in which the strings bridge the saddle) determines the amount of downward pressure the strings put on the saddle. The more angle, the more downward push and the more sound transfer you get to the top, thus louder. So ,in short, you can go as low as you like as long as you have the proper amount of saddle height. 1/8 inch above the bridge is as low as I like to take mine. Anything below that and you lose volume and tone.  Also saddle material is a factor, changing to bone will transfer more vibration than your stock saddle and will increase the volume as well.
  While I'm on the subject, another set up myth is that you need relief (a slight bow) in the neck. This isn't true (IMO). As long as the neck is good and straight and the frets are level, you don't need neck relief. Adding it only hurts. The more relief that's added the more you have to compensate for it by lowering the saddle... Lower action also helps improve intonation up the neck. The higher the string is the further you have to press it to fret.. So with higher action you actually end up performing "Bends" so to speak.
You can also move to a heavier pick for more volume when playing outside.   You could always add a sound port as well smile   Just some thoughts...-Pix

Eduted fer spelon wink

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Also see Guitarpix posts on toneports , will change your guitars output.

i also had a problem with volume. i solved it with a brass nut and bridge and stayed with light strings to save my fingers, friends can not figger out why i'm so loud, he he he

always pickin someting

Guitarpix is soooooo right.
I had a severe problem with intonation until I lowered the action on my guitar.
Now it plays accurately up and down the neck.

=]
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle