Topic: Epiphone 300

Anyone play an epiphone 300 ?  Just got one sounds like playing on tin too high pitched anyway to mellow out the tone?  I changed the strings from light too med. and that helped some but not enought.....any help please......

don't smoke weed with Willie

2 (edited by Guitarpix 2009-07-15 00:00:09)

Re: Epiphone 300

Not sure what kind of strings you're currently using but Phospher Bronze are warmer sounding strings. If you really want a more mellow tone, you may want to try some silk and steels as well. Experiment with a few different picks also. They are an important factor and are often overlooked. I'd try something heavier and a little softer material for a mellower tone.

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Just took guitar to shop to have a bone nut and saddle installed with a pick-up under the saddle

4 (edited by StranSongs 2009-07-22 05:30:10)

If the guitar is already "tinny", you may regret replacing with bone as this in itself tends to "brighten" the sound. I would have suggested changing the pins - going wood, rather than plastic or tusq. Still, you've made your decision.

Have you given the guitar time to settle in  ?

"Don't play what's there, play what's not there." Miles Davis

StranSong     I hope I didn't do the wroung thing.....I can always go back to plastic if I don't like what I hear,,,,when I got the guitar it had been under someones bed for years the fretborded had dried out so much that the color was gray.....I put guitar honey on it... you could hear it sucking it up..lol

Should get my guitar back this weedend or early next week can't wait

7 (edited by Zurf 2009-07-31 23:14:33)

You may want to put a sound hole humidifier in it too.  Keep it in tune while the wood sucks up some moisture.  I like phospher bronze strings to warm up the tone.  I also use wood pegs, just exactly what StransSongs suggested is what I discovered to work for my guitar.  However, if the wood is that dried out, I definitely recommend getting a low cost sound hole humidifier and using it religiously.  And be sure to keep it in tune the whole time, or it could warp to something not tunable.  Keep it in tune the whole time - be compulsive about it and tune two or three times a day - for the first two weeks with the humidifier with that dry of an instrument. 

You can also use some FastFret (which I think is just lemon oil) on the fretboard to keep oiling and moistening it up. 

That's a terrific guitar by the way.  I hope you can get it sounding the way you like and that it will give you years of pleasure.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Got my guitar back from the shop...... sounds great...... just got a acoustic amp @ guitar center now I will be loud LOL!