Topic: Acoustic Soundport Project w/pics

(I'm almost finished with it smile pics posted below)

I'm seriously considering putting a sound port in my '95 S&P Pro rosewood as a weekend project... Just wondering if anyone else has one and what their opinions are from the players perspective. Any bad experiences with them?  Everyone I've talked to so far has loved theirs but it still scares me that there is a chance it could have an adverse affect on tone.. I'm taking a little more of a chance doing it on a solid wood guitar but the only laminate sided guitars I own are my Yairi's and I just can't bring myself to cut into one of those before trying it on another first.

I think I'm more or less using this post to talk myself into it smile Getting nervous now that I have the tools laid out and the guitar in my hands wink What says my fellow Chordians...  Take the chance at improving the guitar??

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Re: Acoustic Soundport Project w/pics

Are we going to be considered partly to blame if we say "do it" and you end up with a guitar shaped doorstop if things go awry? smile

Of course not wink

I've already started. smile
-First step was to determine the shape and placement.
  I decided to go oval 2 inch by 1.5 inch
-Next I taped off the area and marked my center line.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2606/3710826238_b67d240b55.jpg
-Then I placed my template and checked the alignment.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2429/3710826794_42aba3a8a2.jpg
-Next I cut off the tape inside the template and also scored the wood with an exacto knife to prevent chipping. I also put in a pilot hole to assist with placing reinforcement to the back side.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2654/3710828998_b541c2799e.jpg
-Once that was done I attached a piece of fiberglass tape to the back side to prevent splitting and maintain structural integrity. It'll take 2-3 coats and I'll tape off the inside lines for a cleaner appearance before the finish coat which will be tinted to match the woods color. This is a photo of the first coat so it looks a little messy wink
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2656/3710150215_69deedafd3_m.jpg

Now I'm just waiting on the clear to dry... Tonight or tomorrow morning I'll route out the soundport itself and start my finish sanding. I'll post more pics as it progresses smile

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.

I bought a guitar with twin tone-ports and it is loud. Check clearwater guitars on ebay.

This morning everything was dry so I've used my plunge router to cut out the rough hole. I left 1/8 of an inch on the edges. The remainder will be removed via the dremel with a sanding wheel and then finished by hand with paper. Here's a pic of the rough cut...
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2447/3713226830_6532bf1b70.jpg

Now I'm using the dremel to sand to the score line that I made earlier. I was impressed with the camera on this shot. My son took it, that dremel is variable speed and was set at about 15,000rpm! You can almost count the grains of sand on the paper when it's full size. Thought it was pretty good for a Canon Power Shot A530..
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3433/3712524141_6087741599.jpg

Pix, You're a brave man, that is all i can say,lol

Keep on Rocking and remember Animals Feel Pain Too.

smile Let's hope it pays off wink

Okay it's been sanded down to the score line and all the tape and templates removed. I was a little worried that I may have some flaking in the finish around the edge but all is good smile Now I can start with my finger sanding to round the edges and smooth everything out.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3486/3712633353_4fa3c49e73.jpg
I'm resisting the urge to string her up until I'm finished but I just held her in playing position and did some tap testing to the top and man it really changes the sound from the players perspective smile I think I'm going to like this a lot smile

Getting really close smile

I've got the finish sanding done. I added a slight bevel to the the top edge and have applied my first coat of finish.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2666/3712878509_971d512e6c.jpg
Now all I have to do is sand between coats and then buff it out. I should be stringing her up in 3-4 hrs. smile I'll let you know how she does! I'm optimistic, I'm getting good vibes from her wink -Pix

Looks good appearance wise....hope it turns out like you hoped...if I can get fatstrings to let me borrow his guitar I may just give it a try smile

Thanks man! I'm sure fatstrings is a trusting individual but to hand over his guitar....hmmm idk smile We'll find out how it works soon. I'm opening a pack of strings now wink

Well she's been strung up and I've been playing her for an hour.... WOW I Love this! I notice some slight changes in the tone. It has a touch more bass and the individual notes are more discernible. I also notice an increase in sustain. Before the guitar had a tendency to become over-driven when strummed really aggressively since it's fairly lightly built. That problem is gone. It's like adding the extra port really allowed it to breath or vibrate properly. The volume has also increased. All changes have been positive smile The largest difference is the way I hear it when playing. It's like listening from in front of one without a port. Really lets you hear every little nuance that you play! It changes the whole experience! I can see the addition of sound ports coming soon to all my other acoustics wink -Pix

Thanks for sharing that process with us... That was pretty cool getting to see it... Glad it turned out as a positive result smile

How did you decide the size of the tone-port.

henryb wrote:

How did you decide the size of the tone-port.

Lots and Lots of reading and luthier input smile I've been planning/considering this for about 6 months.. Another forum that I frequent discusses soundport size, placement and function pretty regularly. Most of the posters are builders so I trust their input. One fellow forum member used this size, shape and placement on 2 of his Godin guitars (a Norman B20 and S&P6) He had really good results, so I choose to play it safe and use the same on mine. The template was provided by him. I'm going to do my Yairi next. It's going to be a bit more detailed. I'll work it's logo into the design. For that one I plan to mimic Tim Mcknight's sound port size and placement.

Something close to this but with the Yairi emblem instead of the M...
http://www.mcknightguitars.com/images/Img20.gif

I really enjoyed your step-by-step photos. The sound port looks great! I can understand how the player would hear things better, but does the person in front of the guitar hear it differently? When you do your next one, could you make a before and after recording? If so, let us know your thoughts on that, please? Also I'd like to see the Yairi emblem when completed,as would others I'm sure.

Ron

aabb wrote:

I really enjoyed your step-by-step photos. The sound port looks great! I can understand how the player would hear things better, but does the person in front of the guitar hear it differently? When you do your next one, could you make a before and after recording? If so, let us know your thoughts on that, please? Also I'd like to see the Yairi emblem when completed,as would others I'm sure.

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it! I plan on doing a comparison... It won't be anything fancy, Just something quick via webcam. That's the good thing about this alteration, for a "before sound" all you have to do is cover it up real quick smile I'll post a video link in the next couple of days. I haven't had the chance to listen it from across a room myself, but my wife describes it as being clearer and louder but sounds the same tonally.. She say's it's an improvement.-Pix

Guitarpix , were you referring to AGF .

henryb wrote:

Guitarpix , were you referring to AGF .

That would be the one smile

Wow, awesome project!!
You're an inspiration!

=]
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

I wish I had the courage to do attempt a project like that on mine.

I was doodling around a minute ago and sketched this out real quick for the Yairi sound port.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2622/3721011497_d4786ea4f0.jpg
It's a rough drawing but I think I like it... Just wondering what others thought. Any opinions or other ideas? Thanks! -Pix

22 (edited by selso 2009-07-14 21:23:35)

So this makes the guitar sound louder? What else does it do for the sound of the guitar. Ive never seen or heard of anyone doing that before. Sure looks cool..... Im sorry I should have read the post before me!!

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

Pix that was a really nice and instructive project it really turned out great look forward to the yairi vid good luck with it smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Thanks Guys! I'll be back around the house the first next week and will post a comparison video with the S&P. I'm heading out on a fishing trip after work tomorrow so it'll have to wait a few more days smile  Thanks for all the feedback! -Pix

Awesome job Pix! Looks great and I am glad it sounds as good as it looks.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!