Topic: Electric guitar tips

Hi,

I've been playing for a couple of years using a "starter" type guitar (Encore Strat), but I'm now looking to get something better. I play country, rock n roll, 60's stuff mostly, so I've been looking at the Peavey Rockingham and Epiphone Wildkat. Some others have caught my eye, but I'd be interested to hear any views or any suggestions of others I should consider.

Thanks, Kevin

Re: Electric guitar tips

Hi Kevin and welcome to Chordie.

What kinda of money are looking at spending?

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

Hi Southpaw

Probably looking at spending anything up to £350 (about $500).

Cheers

Kevin

I think every one's first electric should be a Fender (or a quality copy of) Telecaster or Stratocaster. The are flexible with respect to styles of music. Your budget will allow any of the above in a Fender but Mexican made. Opinions vary on how they stand up vs. American made. Fender Mexican made Tele would run right about that new and 200.00 cheaper used and would serve your country and rock and roll desires very well. And the Tele is sweet to play

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

5 (edited by SouthPaw41L 2009-07-16 04:49:44)

kdc7759 wrote:

Hi Southpaw

Probably looking at spending anything up to £350 (about $500).

Cheers

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Based upon the kind of music you're into( country, rock-n-roll, and 60's stuff), and the price range you're working with I have a few suggestions;

This one's a little more than what your budget allows but it is one spectacular guitar at a more than fair price. ( in my opinion )
http://www.music123.com/Gretsch-Guitars … 8.Music123
ain't it sweet????.......

This one is a gem of a guitar!!! I've played a few of 'em at various locales in  Massachusetts, Nasheville, Cozumel Mexico, Dublin, and numerous locales in Florida, USA. Each and every one of these fine instruments played just as fine as the first and previous etc....This beauty of a guitar is a consistent, well honed instrument. Plus it looks cool, sleek, and is a serious chick magnet( just teasin',,, or not  haha). And the best thing is the price. This is a garsh dammied steal!!!
http://www.music123.com/Epiphone-ES-175 … 8.Music123

Go on and get a towell to wipe the ptyalism( slobber) off of your chin.

I don't know if you're into semi-hollow body guitars but if you are indeed these are 2  mighty fine instuments that are, in my little opinion, well worth the money......

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

I thought it and you posted it SouthPaw!   tongue    Gretsch semi-hollows are good for your country/blues type sounds ... more towards the country sound ... the Epiphone is more towards the blues/rock area ...

Very good recommendations!

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

Thanks for the recommendations, guys

Love 'em both for their looks, especially the Gretsch. Maybe an ES-175 fitted with a Bigsby? (Probably come out at the same price).

Cheers,

Kevin