Re: Acoustic Soundport Project w/pics

That is very awesome! I totally like the picks and the design you did. Very Cool

topdown wrote:

Awesome job Pix! Looks great and I am glad it sounds as good as it looks.

Thanks man!  How'd the Banks treat ya? Get to hop on a board any? smile

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

^ Had a great trip, but alas no surfing. The house we stayed at was a south facing beach with double sand bars. Small, short breaking waves. There were so many other things going on, a day trip to find waves wasn't in the cards. We did some kayaking in the surf though and Casey really enjoyed that.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Well I decided to wait on the Yairi for now and opted to put a paw port (we breed cocker spaniels wink ) in the S&P Showcase.. I put it a little lower since I had to position between existing side braces. I had a little battle scare there so it gave me the opportunity to remove that smile I know some have asked for a comparison clip and I'll get around to it... Just been lazy lately smile
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3468/3750645630_f2ca8ff383_m.jpg
That's just a piece of black paper taped behind it temporarily so it would show up better for the pic..

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.

Guitarpix,

Very interesting mod and a great depiction of how you did it.  I usually position myself and guitar in front of a big plate glass window to hear what I think I want to hear. Your mod is a great "use it anywhere" application.  Thank you.  By the way, that's a nice touch glassing the inside to maintain structural integrity.

Now available in 5G !

tandm3 wrote:

Guitarpix,

Very interesting mod and a great depiction of how you did it.  I usually position myself and guitar in front of a big plate glass window to hear what I think I want to hear. Your mod is a great "use it anywhere" application.  Thank you.  By the way, that's a nice touch glassing the inside to maintain structural integrity.

Thanks a lot man! It really makes a huge difference. We had a jam session here last night and after a few people tried it, I now have 5 installations on order!
  The glass is kind of a personal touch smile I'd never seen it done this way before... Most builders use wood to reinforce the area on solid wood guitars (laminate doesn't need reinforcement) but I felt the glass would work better. Especially with installing on a bend like that and working on an already completed guitar. It kept me from having to shape/bend the wood and worry about proper clamping, which would have been difficult considering it's position.
   I plan on getting a real simple comparison vid up tonight with both sound port designs... Until then, Here are some interesting test results in decibels from Tim McKnight of McKnight Guitars that everyone can read over. http://www.mcknightguitars.com/soundports.html

Maybe you will start getting lots of orders and have to hire twenty people to keep up.  Sounds great.  Good luck

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Interesting reading pix but is there a change in the quality of tone or is it the same only with more volume? smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Russell_Harding wrote:

Interesting reading pix but is there a change in the quality of tone or is it the same only with more volume? smile

Russ, If you had asked me right after I first heard it, I would have said that there was a huge improvement in tone... Since then, I have recorded it several times playing different riffs covered and uncovered and from the audiences perspective (front of the guitar) the difference isn't very noticeable though I still feel there is some small improvement in over all tone and volume. The main difference with the port is from the players perspective. You just hear it so much better!! The easiest way to describe is for you to strum say a G chord in standard upright position, then lay it on your lap with the sound hole facing you and strum a G Chord... That's the difference. I can literally feel the sound/air hit me in the face when playing with the sound port. Recording from the back and sides also has a fairly large increase in volume with the port.  I'll try to cover most angles when I record it and hopefully it will answer some of your questions.. I'm going to keep it really simple with only some basic chords and strumming so that I can make it as consistent as possible.

That makes sense because with my Dobro slide guitar I play it horizontal and it resonates to my ear louder and it also seems to record in my video with more volume those designs on that link really look great I wonder if anyone with a Gibson or Martin would have that done or forgo it because of the possible resale value smile

Russell_Harding wrote:

That makes sense because with my Dobro slide guitar I play it horizontal and it resonates to my ear louder and it also seems to record in my video with more volume those designs on that link really look great I wonder if anyone with a Gibson or Martin would have that done or forgo it because of the possible resale value smile

I don't think the value has much to do with it. Sound ports originated on custom built guitars in the $7k-$10k range smile I see many people with Olsons, Coveys, Taylors, Martins, etc.. installing them. Martin custom shop even offers them as an option now. What some may see as a devalue others will see as an extra feature, so I think it'd balance out at resale. It all depends on how well it was done and where you advertise it... IMO

Those guitars I only get to play in a music store and only after I "audition" on a knockoff to show them I am a musician and know how to treat a fine instrument like Gibson or Martin hopefully the lotto fairy will be kind someday while I'm still alive lol

I decided to revive this thread smile I just finished a "peaceport" on my '73 Yairi and thought I'd share a pic... These never show up real well in pics and I'll try to get some better ones posted soon. I want to post a few that I've done for friends as well...
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4054/4575580504_17c92aafe2.jpg

Looks like I'm going to be rained out of work tomorrow too smile So I'm drafting some ideas for the other 2 that I want to get done this afternoon/tomorrow. Any suggestions/ideas for ports are welcome!! -Pix

Looks GREAT. It takes guts to put a saw to your guitar.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Amazing!! I've done some things to my guitars, but I would never tackle a project like that. Nice job! Very professional.

Very cool Pix!  I really like the idea of a sound port.  While I was shopping recently, I came across a used guitar that ONLY had a sound hole in the side - right where your port is - and none on the front of the guitar at all.  I can see the use of the port, not so much a sound hole in that location however. 

Soooo... just out of curiosity, how much would you charge someone for something like that?  You don't have to answer here if you'd rather not publicly... but I'm curious nonetheless!  It's a specialized craft you have, and it sure sounds like you're good at it!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Thanks for the kind words everyone! I've done somewhere between 20-25 now and prices have ranged from $50 for a plain oval to $150 for some of the more detailed ones.... I'm doing a F port (modeled after the fender F) on a vintage fender om acoustic now and it will run the guy about $75..... The work really isn't that bad. I can do most designs in 2-3 hrs. The costs comes mainly from the risk involved and from the specialty tools I've invested in. I don't do this as a business or anything... Mainly just for myself and a few friends...   Didn't want anyone to take the post as an advertisement lol -Pix

Nice job Pix!!! 

Quick question, how do get the varnish to blend? Do you spray it? I work with wood on occasion and when re-varnishing I usually do the surrounding area also. Or to whatever edges so I don't have to worry about the varnish looking diff.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Ha ha... no, not taken as an advertisement at all smile  I was just curious.  I'd say with those prices you've got some pretty lucky friends!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Hey Z, There's no need to touch up the finish.  I use a down cut bit with the dremel on a precision router base and the cut is real clean... I then bevel the edges slightly by hand with a small 600 sanding stick before progressing up to 2000. After that I can use a small foam applicator (sort of like a real small foam Q-tip) to just hit the edges and bevel. As long as you're careful there's no spill over to the finish side. If it's laminate I tint a little stain and hit the edges before applying the finish coat to blend the fresh cut so it all matches.... As you can see the process has changed a little since the first one I did.

Hi, I can see that you have good cabinet maker skills, but I don't see the point of it,if this doe's improve the sound why hasn't the top guitar makers  adopted it. Not trying to be rude here but if you can play a guitar and it sounds good, why drill holes all over it?
With Respect.
John.

They Have!!  The top custom builders do do this! Martin also offers it through their custom shop on their guitars. Browse through some real high end guitars and you'll see a lot of soundports smile

To answer your question with a question wink If you can play a guitar and it sounds good but there's a way to make it sound even better why wouldn't you cut a port in the side of your guitar... To the point, most guitarist are purist and are often set in their ways/views.... It takes time for things like this to be accepted enough for it to be implemented in mass manufacturing... Right now it's best as a option so everyone is happy.  I'd suggest you find and try one with a port. The reason for it will be quit obvious smile

48 (edited by mercer 2010-05-30 13:57:17)

Hi, I am tempted to have ago  at this, but like you say, I will sort out one to try first!
Cheers.
John.

Cool pix. I love your guitar.

Spam links removed....Please contact the webmaster (Per) for advertising rites... -Pix