1 (edited by nevets17 2009-07-28 02:40:49)

Topic: How soon did you “outgrow

I have a brand new Johnson JG-100 that I got in January of this year. I have been learning to play guitar for seven months. I am wondering when I will need (want) a better sounding guitar (and how much it will cost).  Right now I will get some new strings put on. It currently has the “factory installed" still and I am hoping to hear a huge difference with new set of Martin strings. I bought the Johnson JG-100 because it was very affordable and I wasn’t sure if playing guitar was something I would end up sticking with. Has anyone here gone through similar things with their early guitar experiences?

Re: How soon did you “outgrow

Hi nevets,  You ask has anyone had the same experience as you, I will speak for nearly all of us and say YES. your beginner guitar is just that, a beginner, however if you are progressing well with it, keep going and start to look around for something better, ask questions on chordie about replacement guitar, there is a wealth of experience and knowledge available on this site, and best of all is free. My advice, don't rush into buying a new guitar just because it is more expensive than your first one. The right guitar for you will turn up one day and you will know it straight off.
Cheers Bushy

Not one drop of my self worth depends on your acceptance of me.
"Quincy Jones"

3 (edited by dfoskey 2009-07-28 10:41:53)

I've been playing my begginer guitar for over 10 years now and i choose to play it over some of my other guitars that i paid alot more for. Some begginer guitars are just too hard to lay down after you get use to playing it for a while. A word of advise is to be sure your next guitar plays as good as your begginer  or better and not bought just because it looks better and costs more. Another thing is you can always upgrade to a better guitar and still be learning and possibly make it easier on yourself.

Good advice above, especially the "don't rush into anything" part.  Personally, I was 8 months of hour a day, seven days a week practice when I started feeling the limitations of my "starter" instrument.  I'd advise you to first decide on a price range, nad then visit your local shops (even some not-so-local ones, if you travel regularly) and play everything on the wall in your price range.  When you find it, you'll KNOW it, no doubts.

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

Hey nevets17!

Good question.

I had my Tatra classical as my only guitar until I was 18 or 19. What was it like? When I started having lessons at Music College (aged 10/11) there was always a naff spare guitar in the cupboard that anyone could play. Once I discovered this I started leaving my guitar at home.

Aside from doing all my classical lessons and grades with it I went on to teach myself Rock and Pop beginning with the AC/DC Back In Black songbook - Barre Chord City!!! This guitar is probably why I inwardly smile at comments about the struggle to master F and Bb Barres - the strings were half a days hike from the neck!!!.

The thing here is that if you can make a dog of a guitar sound musical, anything else is easier.

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

Don't be to eager to go out and get an expensive guitar. Take your time and find one that you really like!! It will make you always want to play and want to keep learning. Also Never Buy ONline. I learned the hard way.

Forgive your enemies, but always remember their names!

I always set a goal for when I get better than I am right now(it's all relative) and I am playing most every day, then when I reach that goal, I buy a better guitar.  I have to retain the interest and excitement of playing before I decide to do it.  If I don't get any better, there is really no use in upgrading.  This theory keeps me going because I am always excited about a new guitar.  Works for me.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

You'll certainly see an improvement with new Martin Strings. The old ones will be quite dull by now.

I'd say it's a bit early to looking around. Wait till you can define what you are after; 'wider neck', 'lighter sound' etc.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

I'll let you know when it happens.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

There is an old saying, "Great music comes from the fingers, not the instrument." Getting a new guitar is always fun, but not essential, unless you have a badly damaged guitar, or one made of cardboard. If you listen to some of the old masters such as Django Reinhardt the jazz musician, Bo Didley with his cigar box guitar, Blind Lemon Jefferson, and others, you will realize, the chops are what count. If a new guitar will keep you playing, however, do it whenever you like. You can't put a timeline on when the time is right. Also, your goals may be different from someone else's. Like so many other things involved in music, you must follow your heart, (and your wallet).

Temple

But, here's the secret about the guitar: It's defiant. It will never let you conquer it. The more that you get involved with it, the more you realize how little you know.
                 Les Paul  March 2007

Started on a decent washburn electric. Learned my chords on it and got comfortable playing. This was February '09. Bought a decent Fender dreadnaught acoustic (dg-11) at a pawnshop about three months ago (May). I've played it till my fingers hurt every day. I am now about to buy this amazingly beautiful sounding Takime Cedar top concert size acoustic. It plays so easy compared to the dreadnaught and is smaller so easier to get your arm around, not as tiring. The Fender cost $100 even and the Takime is going to run me $300 ish. I've been taking lessons the entire time also which has helped me progress for sure. The Takime won't make me a better player, but will address the constant buzzing of the Dreadnaught. I'll keep it though for loud outside playing/campfire etc as theoretically Dreadnaughts are inherently louder than concert size. Hope this helps. - Shane

12 (edited by nevets17 2009-07-31 15:14:00)

Thanks for all your help and advice!

I just picked up my re-strung baby at the shop.
The owner put a set of Martin (M170) Extra Light  .10 - .047.

Sounds pretty good to me. Are these recommended strings for the Johnson JG-100?

I'm not much of a fan of extra lights on acoustics, but if it sounds good to you that's the thing the matters.  Recommended or not - eh.  Recommendations are often marketing gimmicks.  I don't pay much attention when a manufacturer recommends a particular brand of strings.  Size of strings is a matter of setting up the guitar properly, which hopefuly your local shop did. 

You need to learn to change your own strings.  I do mine about every three weeks or so, and taking it to the shop every time would have me going broke faster than I already am. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

14 (edited by nevets17 2009-07-31 21:14:07)

Why are you not a fan of extra lights on acoustics?
I really have no idea what I am looking for and someone I work with suggested lights.
What would you suggest for the guitar I have?

Thanks!

Someday I will learn to change my own strings but because I bought the guitar from this place they do it for free. All I pay for is the strings. As I mentioned before, I got the guitar in January, I took lessons for six months and this is the first time I had the strings changed.

I would use lights rather than extra lights. 

I don't like extra lights because I don't think they've got enough "oomph" and sound kind of tinny.  If you like light, fast strumming, then they'd probably be just the thing.  I beat on my guitars pretty hard.  I like the sound of mediums, but not how tough they are to do proper hammer-ons and such.  So I compromise between extra-lights and mediums with lights. 

I usually use D'Addario phospher bronze lights, but I also like the silk and steel, and the nickle if I want something really really bright (which I usually don't). 

That's all stuff that should NOT be taken as gospel.  When compared to other expenses with guitar, strings are pretty cheap.  Plus they're expendable because they collect oils from your fingers and dull in sound pretty quickly if you play a good bit.  Given that they're not meant to last and that they're pretty cheap anyway, I'm a big believer in trying different brands, sizes, materials and such until you get a sound you like.  You might like D'Addorio phospher bronze lights on one guitar, Ernie Ball medium nickles on another guitar, and Martin silk and steel ultralights on yet another.  It's all what YOU like.  And the only way for you to find out what you like is to try different strings. 

- Zurf

Nevets,
  I played a friends guitar until the time that I was convinced that I needed a guitar of my own.  At that point, I went out and got an Ovation model 1112.  I still have that guitar 28 years later and it is still the best playing acoustic (of the 4) that I own.  Sometimes a good choice stays with you.

Now available in 5G !

Before beginning my journey I received what I believe to be excellent advice. Don't buy a beginner guitar. I paraphrase: like RC aircraft, telescopes, etc. the entry-level stuff will generally leave you frustrated and likely turn you away from your new venture. I walked past the entry-level instruments and purchased a used guitar with one key feature, a solid top (Spruce or Cedar). This feature alone will eliminate many, if not all, entry-level instruments but it will not necessarily empty your wallet especially if you look at used equipment. Now I'm sure there are laminates out there which are fine but this advice potentially kept me from making a mistake.

I still have my first Acoustic Guitar (That I bought).
Paid 30 dollars for it in a broken state (Drunk frat boy kicked a hole in it at a party) and it's one of my best friends.
Honestly, I don't see myself outgrowing it at all. I built a pickup for it from a Piezo microphone and now it's an acoustic/electric.

However, my first electric guitar was outgrown within about 2 months...
My wife bought me a "First Act" ME400 guitar when I made 30. It was a great gift but once I started playing and understanding it's limitations and how horrible it sounded, it was time to move on. I still can't throw it away cause she bought it for me...so it sits in the back of the closet.

=p
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

i started on my "beginner" in june and after 6 weeks realized i wasn't gonna get far with it.  it's a bridgecraft and the action is so high it's painful to play.  playing on it for a couples hours a day for just 6 weeks though was enough practice to learn about 4 songs, though they didn't sound too great on that beast.  anyway i went into guitar center and picked up a yamaha apx500 and discovered that i actually sounded great and could play those few songs much better on a quality guitar.  now the yamaha is my main guitar and i can play about 10 songs well enough that people can recognize them, after 2 months of playing that's good enough for me!  i don't know a thing about johnson guitars but if they are anything like bridgecraft you should at least start looking and playing around on a few until you decide what it is you're looking for next.

I honestly culd not say when I changed from learning to " I can play". Maybe I consider to be stil learning? Or it just happened gradually.
I have only said a few times to someone " yeah I can play guitar".
Most times it is " I strum a bit"

ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Yes, upyerkilt, I have been known to use the one "I just play enough to amuse myself."

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Funny this, isn't it? I usually say "Yeah, I'm learning guitar". Recentely I was thinking - yeah I play guitar fairly well - and then my brother-in-law came to visit, bringing his taylor to show off. And now.... yeah, I'm learning guitar. hmm

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

alvee33 wrote:

Funny this, isn't it? I usually say "Yeah, I'm learning guitar". Recentely I was thinking - yeah I play guitar fairly well - and then my brother-in-law came to visit, bringing his taylor to show off. And now.... yeah, I'm learning guitar. hmm

Haha...

Humbling...isn't it? This happens to me on a regular weekly basis.
I'm learning to just keep my mouth shut when people mention guitars...lol.

=p
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

I'm always leary about coming right out and telling people that I play guitar, too.  It's as if I tell them then I think I have to be better than I really am.  I'm really not that bad, but still..........

I claim to be a campfire picker.  That's a true statement and sets expectations low.  If someone presses, I say that I play WITH the guitar. 

- Big D