1 (edited by gitaardocphil 2009-07-17 13:31:25)

Topic: THE PRODUCER

I read in a few interviews that if that "particular band" in casu U2 would have vanished in thin air if they didn't have "THAT PRODUCER." So U2 wouldn't be that big if it wasn't for Brian ENO, LANOIS, QUINCY JONES
which brings me to the following Q:
A/ WHAT IS THE FUNCTION OF A PRODUCER? 40 years ago, a band had 4 albums a year and now 1 album in 4 years.
B/ Is this a "GOOD LIST" of TOP PRODUCERS
1) Quincy Jones
2) Daniel Lanois
3) Brian Eno.
And not to forget: George Martin & Phil Spector

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: THE PRODUCER

Mutt Lange?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Joh … t%22_Lange

Not such a bad choice in spouse either. Biggest marital score for an ugly dude since Rick Ocasek

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Hey Lieven.

I AM a producer - not one of these current types who aren't musical enough or technical enough to be either a musician or an engineer but want the respect/glory that goes with the title, but someone who can bring a project together on time and on budget.

The skills required are a knowledge of studio engineering (I used to teach 3rd year degree students who knew nothing more about recording than using a computer how to be engineers in a professional studio where a computer is only part of the set-up), a knowledge of the media you are doing the project for (I've done film soundtrack, radio play soundtrack, actors vox demo (basically spoken word recording including dummy radio adverts, extracts from talking books and voice-over for things like corporate training films) and musical projects ranging from classical solo recordings and religious music to hardcore Hip Hop and I haven't done everything!!!) an ability to inspire/excite a performance (I've used drama games/exercises to get THAT performance), a love of whatever you're working on and a good knowledge of music (I've created complete orchestrations for solo artists based only on piano score) if working in that field.

I came up with an adage about producing - "The art of being a good producer is handling being a control freak. The art of being a GREAT producer is no-one knowing you are a control freak!"

I hope this answers your first question.

For the second: a, Think of a band you really like who've done more than 2 albums and decide which you think is the best album. Look at the album credits under producer and there's your answer. b, Find names of producers and a list of their catalogue of work and work out who's done more albums that you really like. c, Let other people tell you (cop out answer).

As a producer, Simon Cowell knows what works/sells but I've heard that he registered with the Musician's Union as a triangle player to get musician royalties from his projects as if the producer's fee wasn't enough and I've never heard of him being alone in the studio with an artist and no engineer(s), tape op(s) etc - says it all!!!

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

U2 made it big with Steve Lillywhite producing them

I'm the son of rage and love

I think if the band or artist is rubbish to begin with, then a producer can cover a lot of sins.  Take for instance any of the pop idol winners....one or two big over produced pop hits and then back to Tesco to stack shelves.

Same is true of a lot of 'boy bands' who break up or try to go solo.  nearly all crashed and burned.

If there is a fundamental talent there as in the case of U2, (yes I'm Irish and no I'm not a U2 fan) the producer becomes less important.

The producer can have a massive input to the production of an album or song...but when it comes to getting on stage and performing the artist is on their own!

My ambition far exceeds my ability

The producer can be extremely important.  Think of Johnny Cash.  He was huge back when Sam Phillips of Sun Records was producing him.  He continued to put out a lot of music after Sun Records, but never found as continual of success on MCA as he did on Sun.  Then America Records comes along and Rick Rubin produces his music, and his career is revitalized. 

Did Johnny Cash have less talent in the middle than he did on either end of this career?  Surely not.  I'm certain that he continued to increase in skill and ability throughout his career.  So what's the difference?  The producer.  When the producer and artist work together as a unit results in better product than when a producer or an artist supercedes the other.  Many artists produce their own work, and that's fine too.  I guess that's the ultimate example of a producer and artist working together.  However, many artists don't have the skills or patience to produce their own work.

A good producer can make an enormous difference, as can a poor one.  A good producer can make a good, well-performed song sound better, and a poor one can make a good, well-performed song sound awful.  One thing a producer cannot do is to make a poorly performed song sound good.  There has to be something to work with.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude