Topic: Bit weird feeling

Tomorrow morning I'm going by a friend's home studio to have him record me playing my kid's favorite lullaby so that my wife can play it for them at night while I'm in Alaska.  Featherbed by John McCutcheon.  He plays it on a hammered dulcimer, so I arranged it a bit for guitar in a way that sounds good to me (with sincere apologies to Mr. McCutcheon).  What's weird is that after I don't know how many stage appearances playing for hundreds of strangers and I don't know how many times playing for a congregation in a praise band, I'm a bit nervous about playing in front of one friend with a microphone. 

I'll let y'all know how it turns out.  Maybe even have Detman101 post it on YouTube (if I ever get around to mailing him the thumb drive from Zurfapalooza). 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: Bit weird feeling

I've warmed up a bit and am ready to head over.  It'll be interesting to see what comes of it.  I think I've figured out the difference.  All my adult stage experience has been with a bass backing someone else up and there has been limited to no singing.  This will be my first ever solo experience with me responsible for the singing and the accompaniment.  That is, aside from campfires which don't count as performance so much as an interactive opportunities for mutual humiliation and entertainment.  I remember my first campfire.  I did "My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys" and even with that simple waltz time song, I was terribly nervous, until one of my mentors started singing along and seemed to be enjoying himself.  That loosened me up enough to try "Take Me Home Country Roads", and a beautiful woman with a beautiful voice joined in and carried the lyrics and all I had to do was strum a little and mumble the lyrics under my breath.  This won't be like that.  This will be me, front and center with no young, tall, blonde and slightly inebriated beautiful women and no balding, fat, advanced middle-aged mentors.  There will be a bald, fat, middle-aged person in attendance however...

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Good luck! I have the same performance reservations (and fat, balding limitations!!!). Try to focus on how proud you can be of what you've done when it's over (they say that works?). Or do as I do...screw it up bad and sweat profusely.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Zurf if needed take a picture of your kids and sit it in front of you and play it as you would for them. I'm sure it will be a great prize for them to cherish for many years. Good Luck.

Zurf,

This is going to be awesome for you. Hey, I've got an idea...
If the feeling of singing while playing is intimidating, why not split it up.
If this is a studio you should be able to record the guitar playing track, then record the singing track while listening to the guitar track in your headphones and then just layer the two together while adjusting the volume levels and VIOLA!!!

You will have a produced track that sounds wonderful and there will be a LOT less stress on you as the vocal/guitar provider!

=]
Dm

PS: anytime you wanna send me something I'm here...lol.

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Sounds like a great experience, Zurf.  Good luck and let us know how it went.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Detman101 - I'll e-mail the file to you.

It is a HOME studio, not a studio studio.  We did it with one mic on Garageband.  Which, by the way, was a sweet piece of software. 

This is the first time I've heard myself sing, and I had no idea it sounded so thin and off-key.  I obviously need some voice training and will likely pick up a book on it when I drop my guitar off to get it setup tomorrow.  Also, I flubbed up the intro, but I flub up the song when I sing it for my kids as a lullaby and so they'll expect that.

- Zurf

Zurf go for it! fat balding middle age men can still rock (I saw Paul McCartney on Letterman last night) he was not the cherubic Liverpool lad of yesteryear but he still rocks so there's hope for all us seniors lol

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Good luck Zurf.....hope it goes well!

All I got, is a red guitar, three chords and the truth

Good luck, im always nervous recording. Dont know why

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

I've got one eye on youtube as I type. smile

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Roger roger...

Got your voicemail but didn't get the email.

=/
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

13 (edited by rs_shadow0000 2009-08-04 09:47:30)

This is the aboriginal time I've heard myself sing, and I had no abstraction it articulate so attenuate and off-key. I acutely charge some articulation training and will acceptable aces up a book on it if I bead my guitar off to get it bureaucracy tomorrow. Also, I flubbed up the intro, but I blooper up the song if I sing it for my kids as a abate and so they'll apprehend that.

Hey Zurf, I never sang before anyone untill last Christmas I got conned into singing for the

Christmas Midnight Service, I was as nerverous as hell but the people there seemed to enjoy

it. I sang two songs, Ive already been asked to sing again this christmas, at least half a dozen

songs some with the quire. Halfway through the first song I forgot about the people and got

into the song, I must say I'm looking forward to doing it again, you'll be fine. Do your best;

that is all you can do and if you do that you at least will be happy.

Luck and Health to all!!!!!

rs_shadow0000 IS the reincarnation of Sir Stanley Unwin!!!!!

big_smile  cool

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

rs_shadow0000 wrote:

This is the aboriginal time I've heard myself sing, and I had no abstraction it articulate so attenuate and off-key. I acutely charge some articulation training and will acceptable aces up a book on it if I bead my guitar off to get it bureaucracy tomorrow. Also, I flubbed up the intro, but I blooper up the song if I sing it for my kids as a abate and so they'll apprehend that.

I think rs_shadow must have been through this course.

Joe Jefferson Vocabulary Builder Upper

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIRtwBTDp2s

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

I hang out on a site called RiverSmallies, which is RS for short.  There are a lot of musicians on that site whom I have invited to Chordie.  I was wondering if that was one of my buddies from RS playing with me.  It cracked me up whoever it is. 

- Zurf